Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Cards that have significantly increased in value.
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 33
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cards that have significantly increased in value.
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Certain cards are more prone to cycling, both in terms of when the supply becomes more available and in how much they will cost. I have noticed that it happens more on cards that have good demand, but only with a more select group of collectors. Cycling is different than the straight upwards trajectory or downwards decline and eventual stability in prices that is commonly seen with cards.

Most card collectors would shrug at Pro Set's Santa Claus promo and spend a few bucks at most. Promo collectors may have other ideas, but its a 32 year old card and I don't know how many were made. So it goes into someone's collection at a certain price and will stay there for a long period of time. No one sees many cards for sale and the price goes up.

Then it begins to cycle into a sell mode because people are leaving the hobby or downsizing collections or needing money and they are letting it go. Suddenly a bunch appear for sale close to the same time and other promo people still want them and will pay high until they realize that the supply meets the new demand and starts to drop again.

You don't want to buy a card that is given to cycles when it is hot.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Ryan Reynolds just sold for $1009 on a true auction.

Hugh Jackman Wolverine Origins $909
Arnold Schwarzenegger T3 $2095

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:

Wow. That's impressive. I had no idea -- last I saw these were about half that.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:

Wow. That's impressive. I had no idea -- last I saw these were about half that.

Yup, I had $550 in my database.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Kevin Spacey in spite of all his issues sold for $2800 on Oct 17th.

posted Hide Post
Wow. Spacey was always a tough card.

It is interesting to watch.

I just checked and there are about half a dozen Ryan Reynolds autographs on eBay -- which was a lot more than I was expecting.

I've been looking for certain cards for a while now, and it just seems like quite a few cards rarely show up for sale at all anymore -- and the cards I'm looking for aren't anything that has skyrocketed in price. . .

It seems like some sales in what I am watching are slowing down, although they are remaining at prices elevated from last year.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow. Spacey was always a tough card.

It is interesting to watch.

I just checked and there are about half a dozen Ryan Reynolds autographs on eBay -- which was a lot more than I was expecting.

I've been looking for certain cards for a while now, and it just seems like quite a few cards rarely show up for sale at all anymore -- and the cards I'm looking for aren't anything that has skyrocketed in price. . .

It seems like some sales in what I am watching are slowing down, although they are remaining at prices elevated from last year.

Some places I look and it seems the hype is finally settling but in others I see differently. Possibly people who realized they spent far too much money on certain cards are trying to dump before they are in the hole.

The past few cards I have posted are all from the same seller. It looks like they are getting rid of his/her collection. A good time to feel out some card values

posted Hide Post
quote:
Some places I look and it seems the hype is finally settling but in others I see differently. Possibly people who realized they spent far too much money on certain cards are trying to dump before they are in the hole.

The past few cards I have posted are all from the same seller. It looks like they are getting rid of his/her collection. A good time to feel out some card values

Definitely a lot going on in the hobby now.

There seem to be a new core group of Marvel collectors (perhaps speculators?) who are still around and pushing prices higher on cards like PMGs -- and also seemingly on cards like the Reynolds auto.

I mainly watch autographs and those are all over the place. The Salma Hayek autograph is a good example. One just sold for $1000. In June we were talking about a sale at $1400. I have no idea if that is a trend, or if there is something different about the cheaper card (worse condition?) or if as you said people realized they overpaid and are trying to get out.

I was watching some of the cards that seller you mentioned has been selling, and the ones I was watching sold for less than I expected. I should have bid on some.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/38441...3:g:gWoAAOSwefphVNYN

RJ Mitte Breaking Bad $1580???

Then there is this!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37376...Ad02DAizdOW6ynXDbrQM

Anyone got any explanations? I sure dont.

posted Hide Post
The Mitte autos have to be a scam. One also just sold for $85.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/38441...3:g:gWoAAOSwefphVNYN

RJ Mitte Breaking Bad $1580???

Then there is this!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37376...Ad02DAizdOW6ynXDbrQM

Anyone got any explanations? I sure dont.

Both probstein123 auctions. Their reputation precedes them.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Raven,

I've been watching the Santa card since my last post. The going-rate has a smaller range, down from about $$75-150 to about $75-100, still holding its value on the low end. It doesn't appear collectors are shrugging at this one. I don't think all the activity with it over the past year/year and a half can be explained by just non-sports promo collectors or even non-sports collectors in general. Even cards graded EX-NRMT sell for over $50. Some sports card people and those specializing in Pro Set stuff remember it from when it was new and they bought in then and will still deal for it now.

I don't know how many were made either but time has told me that while this card was a dealer promo and could have had a wide distribution, not all dealers got it which was a factor in demand quickly outweighing the supply. By the late 90's, it was hard-to-find. I traded for one from Bill back then and I think he had an $80 value on it. I didn't get it because I thought it was going to rise in value. It was an opportunity to pick up one of the early promos, and maybe one I wasn't going to come across anytime soon, for the price of some my extras. I've sold some of the "money" cards I've had over the years but hung onto that one. It's kind of a historical artifact and sentimental souvenir as well as an uncommon promo. It's rare in the sense that it's a known quantity across sports and non-sports even if it's not particularly rare in number. For whatever reason it still sells in a range beyond that of many rarer cards.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Certain cards are more prone to cycling, both in terms of when the supply becomes more available and in how much they will cost. I have noticed that it happens more on cards that have good demand, but only with a more select group of collectors. Cycling is different than the straight upwards trajectory or downwards decline and eventual stability in prices that is commonly seen with cards.

Most card collectors would shrug at Pro Set's Santa Claus promo and spend a few bucks at most. Promo collectors may have other ideas, but its a 32 year old card and I don't know how many were made. So it goes into someone's collection at a certain price and will stay there for a long period of time. No one sees many cards for sale and the price goes up.

Then it begins to cycle into a sell mode because people are leaving the hobby or downsizing collections or needing money and they are letting it go. Suddenly a bunch appear for sale close to the same time and other promo people still want them and will pay high until they realize that the supply meets the new demand and starts to drop again.

You don't want to buy a card that is given to cycles when it is hot.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I've sold some of the "money" cards I've had over the years but hung onto that one. It's kind of a historical artifact and sentimental souvenir as well as an uncommon promo. It's rare in the sense that it's a known quantity across sports and non-sports even if it's not particularly rare in number. For whatever reason it still sells in a range beyond that of many rarer cards.

Jess

Well its Santa, and who doesn't love Santa? Big Grin Also its even that time of year to shine.

We all have certain cards that are favorites for whatever reason and shouldn't be sold off. Many of my favorites wouldn't get much anyway.

This thread is all about cards going up in value, but sometimes that just creates a temptation that is regretted later on. How many card collectors moan about some card they sold years ago because they made a bit of money on it and now the card is gone and they don't have the money either? A lot. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
Both probstein123 auctions. Their reputation precedes them.

Interesting, I have never purchased from them nor paid close attention.

posted Hide Post
The seller who was referred to above is selling a lot of interesting cards at true auction and there are a lot of interesting prices . . .

Recently sold Topps Daredevil autographs:

Garner: $1605
Affleck: $720

And most surprising to me:
Coolio: $226

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
The seller who was referred to above is selling a lot of interesting cards at true auction and there are a lot of interesting prices . . .

Recently sold Topps Daredevil autographs:

Garner: $1605
Affleck: $720

And most surprising to me:
Coolio: $226

Think we are watching the same individual. Looks like they are selling off the collection. I picked up a Small Soldiers Gregory Smith for about $15 from em. Just realized I have about 15 signatures from that movie!!

Great for the Coolio....I have one! Big Grin

Some firefly stuff coming up that I have. Will be interesting to see the final bid.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
A few more

Kirsten Dunst $190 lower than I would imagine
Idris Elba $1,325
Edward James Olmos $710
Allison Mack $274 interesting seeing her career is over.
Morena Baccarin (Serenity) $180
Tarantino Americana $237
Guillermo Del Toro $225

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just two years ago, the Dunst autograph was selling for about $120. I thought its value might bump up with another high profile role but it seems to be a card on the move with or without one.

quote:
A few more

Kirsten Dunst $190 lower than I would imagine
Idris Elba $1,325
Edward James Olmos $710
Allison Mack $274 interesting seeing her career is over.
Morena Baccarin (Serenity) $180
Tarantino Americana $237
Guillermo Del Toro $225

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Just two years ago, the Dunst autograph was selling for about $120. I thought its value might bump up with another high profile role but it seems to be a card on the move with or without one.
[/QUOTE]

That card was my white whale, as I have mentioned before. I didn't want to spend over $100 for it and I must have lost close to ten auctions over a couple of years, all in the last few minutes. I finally gave up and bought it straight from a dealer in January 2009 for $115. I've never seen it as a bargain in all the time since either.

That del Toro was one of those Inkworks redemption card autographs. If you are into film director signatures, I would make that one way more than any Tarantino.

Allison Mack? Someone must be joking! $20 would be too much.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Dunst will always be best known for the 3 Spider-Man films.

Looking at her IMDB filmography, she hasn't done any movies after 2007 that your average person has heard of or has seen

Plus she will be 40 in early 2022, so unfortunately, by Hollywood standards, she is someone whose ship has sailed and has been replaced by younger stars.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post