Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Cards that have significantly increased in value.
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 33
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cards that have significantly increased in value.
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of xtime
posted Hide Post
Anybody seen prices on these sealed boxes recently?
1998 Women of Bond
2006 Firefly
1998 Xena 2
1997 UD Little Mermaid
1997 SW Vehicles
2003 Daredevil
2005 Three Stooges 1
2003-4 Disney Treasures
2015 SW Masterwork
2016 SW Masterwork
1996 ST First Contact
1997-98 ST TOS Season 1 & 2
2006 Wizard of OZ 1
Grimm 1
SW Galaxy 7
Lord of the Rings 1

Smokin'

Posts: 4229 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I thought about looking through old back issues and cutting it out (or copying it and cutting it out) too because I've had the other SWG2 promos in a binder for years. There's still a window for P3.

That's bad luck. You buy two cases and neither has the card numbered to 1000. That seems to indicate a larger print run than I thought and especially for 2009.

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Haha, yeah, I just cut out a card-sized picture of it from a non-sports magazine and put it in my binder a long time ago.

I actually bought 2 cases of Galaxy 4, but didn't pull one, which was a bit of bad luck, as I think there was one in every other case. There's a more limited artist signed version of it, too. The value of that one must likewise be through the roof.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
About an hour ago, I remembered a fellow Card Talk member mentioning having that "Lost Yoda" card. He showed just the back of it. You'll think this is funny...he pulled from the one pack he bought at a comic book store.

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....5901/m/157107277/p/5

I haven't seen the signed one pop up anywhere.

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Haha, yeah, I just cut out a card-sized picture of it from a non-sports magazine and put it in my binder a long time ago.

I actually bought 2 cases of Galaxy 4, but didn't pull one, which was a bit of bad luck, as I think there was one in every other case. There's a more limited artist signed version of it, too. The value of that one must likewise be through the roof.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Robert Downey Jr. autograph as Iron Man graded a PSA 6 (175267740432) sold for $6600 -- significantly lower than recent sales. I'm guessing the grade hurt the selling price.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I have a Gunner Hansen auto, i think it was one of the Terror Cards autos. I have never seen another one although i'm sure there must be some, this value must have gone up.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
I have a Gunner Hansen auto, i think it was one of the Terror Cards autos. I have never seen another one although i'm sure there must be some, this value must have gone up.

I only see one sale for this card in Terapeak (Terapeak only goes back 1 year):

$165.00 Jun 29, 2021

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:

I only see one sale for this card in Terapeak (Terapeak only goes back 1 year):

$165.00 Jun 29, 2021

Thank you, yes it has gone up by a lot and i think will only go up more.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at RA's website, with next products in line for Doctor Who Series 11 & 12 and STNG Archives and Inscriptions. It reminded me of something someone said in one of these threads, but I couldn't find it to quote.

The gist of the comment I think was that we have jumped right over the $100 box, which had been a milestone of sorts for average cards on well-known titles and went straight to mid $100 for regular and mid $200 for premium product, and it happened fast.

While there is sure to be some discounting off the SRP, it doesn't look like RA intends to put out another box at less than $160ish anymore. The number of autograph cards has been increased and some inscriptions act as guaranteed hits, but the days of getting a mainstream title from a big license, in a standard format, for less than a "Benjamin" from any maker may well be over already.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I kind of put my collection on hold for years and have recently been going through it and selling off some, its been interesting to see what sells and what doesn't. I actually ended up with quite a few "ultimate" master sets. The market has definitely changed, I remember trying to sell a Planet of the Apes Charlton Heston auto card back in the day and couldn't get $100 for it, now I see one listed for over $400. Inflation or actual value increase?

Anyway I was wondering if you guys know what the value some auto cards I have, none of them are graded or slabbed:

The Jolie signed cards from the 2 tomb raider sets
Steve Irwin from the Crocodile Hunter set (not that I would sell that)
Vin Diesel from Chronicles of Riddick
Patrick McGoohan from the Prisoner Series 1

Cheers

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
As a member of some facebook groups it seems like I am starting to see some sell offs going on. Buyers remorse maybe?

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am pretty sure it is the only card he ever signed. The Kane Hodder from that set as gone up as well. I have Kane plus some of the "scream queens" including PJ Soles from that release.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
As a member of some facebook groups it seems like I am starting to see some sell offs going on. Buyers remorse maybe?

Not sure about others but for me it's just a garage sale. Downsizing and clearing clutter across all my collections as I'm moving soon.

It's funny as even though the goal is less clutter, if I deem a set a keeper I want to complete it. The missus gets confused as more is coming in than going out..

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Terapeak is free for all eBay users through seller hub -- I don't sell and I still have access to it. It will show completed sales for the last year:

https://www.ebay.com/sh/research

If this link doesn't work from My Ebay click 'sell' at the upper right, then 'research'

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On the Heston card, you might want to check in on that one every few weeks to see how long it goes unsold. The longer it doesn't sell, the better of an idea you get on it, nobody else thinking it's a $400 card. You could consider offering yours for $300 if you want to sell and see if you get any interest/best offers.

As for the values on the others, consider these sales:

Chronicles of Riddick Diesel autograph: Years ago, it sold for about $200 or less but one went for $400 last year. The 2021 Beckett Non-Sport Almanac values it at $300-450.

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin autograph A1: It sold a few times for over $1000 (graded one went for $1400 - probably at least NM) in 2020; one sold recently for $1895. The 2021 Beckett Non-Sport Almanac values it at $600-1000.

Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life Jolie autograph A1: In the 2000's, it sold for as much as $500 and sold in the $250-500 range in 2009. In the Dec 2013/Jan 2014 NSU price guide, it was valued at $284. One sold for $2250 recently. The 2021 Beckett Non-Sport Almanac values it at $600-1200.

Prisoner Series 1 McGoohan autograph: It sold for about $250-300 around 2006. About 4 years ago, they sold in the $150-$450 range. If this is the 2002 PA1 avaiable by redemption, the 2021 Beckett Non-Sport Almanac has it at $175-250.

quote:
Originally posted by drofdarb:
Hi,

I kind of put my collection on hold for years and have recently been going through it and selling off some, its been interesting to see what sells and what doesn't. I actually ended up with quite a few "ultimate" master sets. The market has definitely changed, I remember trying to sell a Planet of the Apes Charlton Heston auto card back in the day and couldn't get $100 for it, now I see one listed for over $400. Inflation or actual value increase?

Anyway I was wondering if you guys know what the value some auto cards I have, none of them are graded or slabbed:

Cheers

posted Hide Post
quote:
Terapeak is free for all eBay users through seller hub -- I don't sell and I still have access to it. It will show completed sales for the last year:

https://www.ebay.com/sh/research

If this link doesn't work from My Ebay click 'sell' at the upper right, then 'research'

Awesome this works for me, I never knew this feature existed.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
On the Heston card, you might want to check in on that one every few weeks to see how long it goes unsold. The longer it doesn't sell, the better of an idea you get on it, nobody else thinking it's a $400 card. You could consider offering yours for $300 if you want to sell and see if you get any interest/best offers.

Chronicles of Riddick Diesel autograph: Years ago, it sold for about $200 or less but one went for $400 last year. The 2021 Beckett Non-Sport Almanac values it at $300-450.

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin autograph A1: It sold a few times for over $1000 (graded one went for $1400 - probably at least NM) in 2020; one sold recently for $1895. The 2021 Beckett Non-Sport Almanac values it at $600-1000.

Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life Jolie autograph A1: In the 2000's, it sold for as much as $500 and sold in the $250-500 range in 2009. In the Dec 2013/Jan 2014 NSU price guide, it was valued at $284. One sold for $2250 recently. The 2021 Beckett Non-Sport Almanac values it at $600-1200.

Prisoner Series 1 McGoohan autograph: It sold for about $250-300 around 2006. About 4 years ago, they sold in the $150-$450 range. If this is the 2002 PA1 avaiable by redemption, the 2021 Beckett Non-Sport Almanac has it at $175-250.

quote:
Hi,

Cheers

Thanks for the detailed response. Too be honest I don't think I will be selling any of these cards, was more of a fact finding exercise. I used to use ebay as a reference but it seems the cards that were readily available 10 years ago just aren't so available at the moment.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

quote:
Hi,

Cheers

Thanks for the detailed response. Too be honest I don't think I will be selling any of these cards, was more of a fact finding exercise. I used to use ebay as a reference but it seems the cards that were readily available 10 years ago just aren't so available at the moment.

To be honest, I think with the market the way it is with so many 'sports guys' and speculators entering the market and 'pumping/flexing' certain cards and genres, a seller of rare non-sport autos can pretty much name thier price right now. Whack a crazy BIN price on the likes of an Angelina Jolie and some idiot will buy it sooner if not later. The availability is just not there and these self-styled 'high-end' collectors will spend almost anything it seems to get that card to impress everyone on their social media platforms.

I think its a sad state of affairs for genuine collectors (and where I say genuine, I mean those who are not fickle/flash-in-the pan), who cannot get cool cards for reasonable prices because everything is being hoovered up by the new-blood, who I suspect will not remain long term. But if the old-school are looking to cash in, now would seem a good time because who knows how much longer the bubble will swell and if/when it will burst.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bone:
Chris Pine's 2nd Star Trek autograph for $410. This is the first time I've seen this card sell for over $250.

Jason Isaac'sHarry Potter GOF card for $326.

There is a guy on Blowout who has been pumping up Harry Potter cards to his Instagram followers -- this person and many of his followers seem to have decided to 'invest' in Harry Potter cards, which may be driving a lot of the sales -- and asking prices.

The prices are spiking quickly on some cards. Hard to tell if this is going to be sustainable, but many of the Marvel cards that have been pumped up recently have dropped in price significantly already. I'm personally not buying anything at massively inflated prices.

I've been watching said collector's warpath to accumulate everything Potter. On the one hand I to admire and enjoy the clear enthusiasm and pleasure on display of someone new to non-sports. On the other, the money being thrown around willy-nilly is almost gut-wrenching to watch as the hobby is pushed in more ridiculous directions.

Arbox truly did something special with the Harry Potter licence, especially the autograph line-up. Not least of all giving is cards from British acting royaly like Gary Oldman, Michael Gambon, Brendan Gleeson, Maggie Smith, Kenneth Branagh, John Cleese etc.
Getting the three main kids to sign was also obviously a big deal and huge coup for those buying and selling the product.

But the other day an Emma Watson Order of the Phonenix auto card sold on eBay for $10k. TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS.
Words like 'iconic' are thrown around when justifying this sort of money but Watson, Radcliffe and Grint were three not very great child actors who have unsurprisingly grown up into not very relevant adult celebrities.
Tastes and interests are subjective of course, but come on. 10K for a Robert Downey Jr. Iron Man auto card is nuts, who is Emma Watson really and I say that as a fan of the series.

A potter fan would be better putting that sort of money into certain first edition Potter books.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
I think its a sad state of affairs for genuine collectors (and where I say genuine, I mean those who are not fickle/flash-in-the pan), who cannot get cool cards for reasonable prices because everything is being hoovered up by the new-blood, who I suspect will not remain long term. But if the old-school are looking to cash in, now would seem a good time because who knows how much longer the bubble will swell and if/when it will burst.

THIS. Many of these in-demand short printed autograph cards are really hard to find because actual card collectors tucked them away in their collections soon after they appeared. As this wild, wild west card market has developed, be it because of profit speculators or new blood with more money than sense, the temptation to sell the crown jewels of their collections is no longer unthinkable. In fact, I agree. If you are going to cash in, now's the time to pull the trigger. Maybe passed time, as the economy is already turning.

However once longtime card collectors do let their big cards out in bunches, be it certified autographs or any other kind of rarity, the prices should drop as supply increases and sellers go into competition to undercut each other. I don't know if you'd characterize this as the bubble bursting, so much as it is a realization that a manufactured, relatively new collectable made of paper and ink can only be worth so much before someone is getting robbed.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by X:

THIS. Many of these in-demand short printed autograph cards are really hard to find because actual card collectors tucked them away in their collections soon after they appeared. As this wild, wild west card market has developed, be it because of profit speculators or new blood with more money than sense, the temptation to sell the crown jewels of their collections is no longer unthinkable. In fact, I agree. If you are going to cash in, now's the time to pull the trigger. Maybe passed time, as the economy is already turning.

However once longtime card collectors do let their big cards out in bunches, be it certified autographs or any other kind of rarity, the prices should drop as supply increases and sellers go into competition to undercut each other. I don't know if you'd characterize this as the bubble bursting, so much as it is a realization that a manufactured, relatively new collectable made of paper and ink can only be worth so much before someone is getting robbed.

Crazy high prices will no doubt tempt some long-time collectors to set some rare cards free, but I think it will also help keep them bolted down into certain collections even more firmly.

Non-sport collectors seem to consistently buy for the enjoyemnt of the card and the topic, not so much for value at all. Most could accurately be said to have 'black hole' collections into which cards effectively disappear from the market for decades, if not forever. Passion I find generally trumps profit with these things, and even if tempted to sell, I think the harcorde card collector would be so afraid of potential regret at making the wrong decsion to sell, and that they could never reaquire the card again if needed, it's safer to just keep enjoying what you already have than let them go.

I think this is also what is frustrating the 'new blood' so much - they just don't understand this collecting mentality. They appear to think everything should be available to those willing to spend the money, not realising that most of the 'best' cards already found permanent homes years ago. Vulgar and reckless spending doesn't induce everyone to part with their passions and memories.

For those reasons, and that there are too few of the most desirable cards made in the first place, I doubt we'll ever see a glut of the hard-to finds hit the market all at once. I don't see under-cutting, but heopfully a softening of the insanity that had been bubbling the last couple of years.