Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Cards that have significantly increased in value.
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 33
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cards that have significantly increased in value.
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
If you said "baseball card" to somebody, there are a few cards that immediately come to mind and the Mickey Mantle RC is one of them, it's without a doubt one of the top 3 most significant baseball cards of all-time.

The first cards that I thought of while reading this were Mickey Mantle’s:

1951 Bowman Rookie Card
1952 Topps 2nd year card

Then the 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Rookie Card Dance

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Whereas you don't have to be a sports card collector to know of Mantle or to have heard about his rookie card, which is exactly your point and its true.

I asked my 30-something year old sports card collecting co-worker if he knew who Mickey Mantle was and he did! Thumb Up But thought the 1952 Topps was Mantle’s Rookie Card instead of the 1951 Bowman Frown

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
This of course is in America. If you asked the public in the street in the UK they would never have heard of Mantle and if they did know Mars Attacks it would be the film they were thinking of.

What? Say it ain’t so, Joe DiMaggio! (just throwing in a Yankees joke there Big Grin ).
Surely, a portion of the good folks in the UK have heard of the famed New York Yankee baseball team though, right? If they have, they probably heard of legendary player Mickey Mantle in passing then?!?
Wolfie, I’m sure that you have heard of Mantle since that 1952 Topps baseball of his gets brought up from time to time here.

Like Hammer said, you may be suprised how little a thing baseball is over here. I have never been a part of, or overheard a conversation on the the sport. Ever. Culturally, it is of little to no relevance in the UK. I genuinely cannot think of a family member, friend of colleague who may have heard of Mickey Mantle.
Football (soccer) though? Every other English 'bloke' would happily bore you to tears on the subject if give half a chance.

Football stickers are/were a big thing for a lot of kids over here. 'Rookie' cards is obscure terminology of no meaning.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Ryan Reynolds $1592.00 on a true auction.
Lou Ferrigno as a guard $152.50

Posts: 4848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Not that any modern celebrity autograph should be that price, but I could see the Wolverine Reynolds going for that much. Don't know how many were signed, but it was a really tough pull. So was the Liev Schreiber card, but although he's a better actor than Reynolds, it's Reynolds that has starred in the hit films. Why shouldn't he be close to par with RDJ in a crazy market?

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Both were listed as Limited. I agree, it was looking like Ryan's career was done and he completely re-invented himself.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This market is so crazy.

$1500 for a Ryan Reynolds autograph is insane -- that's like 10x more than they used to sell for.

Then again $1800 for a Jambalaya or PMG is insane -- and that's like 50x more than they used to sell for.

Harry Potter autographs are being blown up by some 'influencers' and have topped $20,000.

My head is spinning. . .

I can't tell if the Reynolds -- as the cheapest in the bunch -- is a great bargain, a 'right' price due to more normalish growth, or if these are all in some massive bubble.

I'm about ready to call a consignor and sell everything I have left.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I notice that the Amanda Seyfried 2006 Veronica Mars has finally risen to around $200 on eBay. For years this was a $20 common, even as she started to co-star in some big movies. Look for her in "The Dropout" series soon.

This card got caught up the Inkworks dump and there were plenty of them in Razor Ink boxes. I do think it's her only certified card though, unless she made an appearance in something like Pop that I don't know about.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kaley Cuoco Big Bang autograph sold for $2500: 275180853733

One of her autographs sold for $1500 in December.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Forgive me if this was already noted before, but the 2011 Topps American Pie card with Kanye West & Taylor Swift is consistently pulling $100+. Wasn't this a 25¢ card for the last decade?

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
Forgive me if this was already noted before, but the 2011 Topps American Pie card with Kanye West & Taylor Swift is consistently pulling $100+. Wasn't this a 25¢ card for the last decade?

Oh that's nothing. Take a look at the prices they are posting for that same BASE card graded as a 9 or 10. Its $2,500 and $5,000. Roll Eyes

Oh, excuse me, the $5,000 is for the Foil parallel. Wink

It is of course the Kanye and Swift rookie card, so that explains it. Razz

Seriously, you would have to be a fool to pay more than a couple of bucks for that BASE card. This isn't even a bubble, for some cards like this one, it's just nuts. A few years ago I wouldn't have believed it!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

It is of course the Kanye and Swift rookie card, so that explains it. Razz

I found my Lea Thompson Jaws 3D rookie card the other day. She even signed it! Cool

Picture of bone
posted Hide Post
I sold a Ryan Reynolds card last for $1200 but privately. That was a good deal, I reckon.

Does anyone how to check the sold price for items with best offer option? I'm curious as to how much these cards sold for. Watson was listed for 13,500 EUR and Neeson for $2500.

Emma Watson

Liam Neeson

Sold my Neeson for $1400 last year. Now the price has doubled.

Posts: 78 | Location: Australia | Registered: August 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
The Liam sold for $2500 BIN which means it could probably sell for more.

Emma sold for 7,500 EUR so roughly $8320 US.

Neither of them slabbed or graded.

posted Hide Post
A Thor PMG sold for over $300 yesterday: 373946284975.

This is especially stupid because the card can be bought on COMC for $60.

Picture of bone
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Those are crazy prices.

quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
The Liam sold for $2500 BIN which means it could probably sell for more.

Emma sold for 7,500 EUR so roughly $8320 US.

Neither of them slabbed or graded.

Posts: 78 | Location: Australia | Registered: August 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Given everything that's going on in the world and the financial markets, virtually none of it good, one wonders which way it effects high priced collectibles like cards?

Do all these investors, celebrities and social influencer types that have been said to be dropping big money on sports cards, autographs and such, pull in their horns because their nest eggs are springing leaks?

Or does it go the opposite way and they look to put more of their money into convenient physical collectibles, rather than traditional financial systems?

I would normally say that the useless things go down when the money tightens up, but in this age of cryptocurrency and NFTs I have no idea. Roll Eyes

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Been thinking the same thing. With some of the stupid prices I have been seeing I have thought this hobby needs a swift kick in the groin for a couple of years now.

Not that I don't like watching my collection go up in value but everyone scrambling around trying to define the latest in what is rare is out of control.

posted Hide Post
I always thought we'd see an increase in price, but I thought it would be measured and organic. . .

The wild swings we are seeing are just insane.

There is an obvious influx of speculators coming over from sports cards. I don't think they will stick around for the long term for various reason, but I don't know if they will end up dumping what they've bought or sit on it.

It has been interesting watching some of the Marvel cards -- there was a wave of price increases in Marvel Universe cards followed by a drop, then a rise and a drop in the FUSM chase (Jambalaya specifically -- I only watch values on cards I own), now a wave is going through Black Diamond will another drop follow?

I think Vibranium also saw an increase -- as well as Retro, but I don't own any of those cards so I don't pay attention to them.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Unopened boxes of 1996 Space Jam $700

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
Unopened boxes of 1996 Space Jam $700

Oy! What now a Tasmanian Devil RC?

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
A Thor PMG sold for over $300 yesterday: 373946284975.

This is especially stupid because the card can be bought on COMC for $60.

Got to ask, because I keep seeing it over on Blowout, and I genuinely have no idea... what is a 'PMG'?

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post