Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Cards that have significantly increased in value.
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 33
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cards that have significantly increased in value.
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I was late to LotR and picked up only a handful from Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers much later, because they were already pretty pricey for the time. Looks dirt cheap now. Big Grin

I have never seen any data on the production run of the autograph cards, just some general box ratios. There were 14 signers in each set, but not all were the same signers. Some were in hobby boxes, but others were in retail boxes or were UK exclusives.

Does anyone know the approximate number of autograph cards done be each signer in those two sets or know where that info can be found? Allender has them all listed, but not with separate ratios and I can't find the number of boxes made for each version, so it doesn't help me much.

This was one of those rare releases where buying boxes at $50 to $60 a pop was a game where the collector couldn't lose. Not a bad signature in the list and the insert ratio even left some boxes with two autograph cards. Given his connection to multiple franchises (including MCU) I am a little surprised that Hugo Weaving isn't going for more. Especially seeing that it is his only card.

Although there is no way to be sure I can't imagine any of the celebrities signing more than a 1000 to 1200 cards. That places about 1200 to 1300 8 box hobby cases produced.

Given that the hobby was shrinking at the time and this was the first release of a new title it is very possible that Topps went more conservative but it is difficult to imagine more.

Hugo was also a retail only insert.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There is one promo set that I've been aware of but not really paying attention to and that is the Eastbound & Down set (Home Box Office, Inc., 2009). It's a 5-card set you get in a silver pack with blue lettering and it promotes his TV show of the same name. I don't know how it was distributed but it must've been limited - maybe given out only at a TV trade show. A few years ago, packs were selling around $50, I think. Late last year, I started watching how they were selling and was surprised to see the range had increased to $145-200.

I just checked again last week. Sealed packs are selling for $175-270 and a set of cards out of the pack have been going for $125-165. You know, those Levi's 501 cards given out last year with its hip selection of social media celebrities peaked in value within a month or two of release and have been sliding back to earth since. Meanwhile, 5 different shots of Danny McBride can't lose. Why are these cards doing so well?

There seem to be a few custom cards floating around and they look similar to the official promos so be careful when buying.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Anyone pay attention to that James Cameron autograph card from DARK ANGEL that ended recently on E-Bay with a Best Offer deal from an asking price of 10 grand?

Has that card become a big deal now?

Of course, I don't know what the Best Offer taken was.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:

You could ask that same question about a couple of hundred certified autograph cards lately. The Aviator sequel may be ready to make an appearance in 2022, maybe, is all I can think. It's been so long, I'm not sure if anyone really cares anymore, but there's another one for 2024.

His "Dark Angel" signed card was always limited and second only to Alba's, so it was in the higher dollar range, but well below $1,000. I'm beginning to think it's a misnomer to say that cards like this have "significantly increased in value". The asking price has gone up and its possible that someone might even pay it, but it's not value to me. Prices are being pulled out of thin air with all kinds of silly excuses and no regard for any comparable cards. Shake Head

Posts: 10378 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

You could ask that same question about a couple of hundred certified autograph cards lately. The Aviator sequel may be ready to make an appearance in 2022, maybe, is all I can think. It's been so long, I'm not sure if anyone really cares anymore, but there's another one for 2024.

His "Dark Angel" signed card was always limited and second only to Alba's, so it was in the higher dollar range, but well below $1,000. I'm beginning to think it's a misnomer to say that cards like this have "significantly increased in value". The asking price has gone up and its possible that someone might even pay it, but it's not value to me. Prices are being pulled out of thin air with all kinds of silly excuses and no regard for any comparable cards. Shake Head

There goes my down payment on a Porsche.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone pay attention to that James Cameron autograph card from DARK ANGEL that ended recently on E-Bay with a Best Offer deal from an asking price of 10 grand?

Best Offer accepted was $4300.00

Still quite a chunk of change.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
quote:

Best Offer accepted was $4300.00

Still quite a chunk of change.

Ed

If the posts on Blowout are right that is more than double recent Alba sales. I don't think I have seen the Cameron higher than the Alba previously. Cool and tough card.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Glad I bought mine when it was under $200.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I thinks there's a lot of excitement for the "Avatar" relaunch.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
I thinks there's a lot of excitement for the "Avatar" relaunch.

I think the first one will do well. Not so sure if as well as the first. There are no new rabbits to pull out of the hat.

Just can't shake the idea that by the time this new series is over we will all be riding the Avatar burn out train.

Given Cameron's role in iconic cinema history I don't think the card value will be all that effected either way.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I really liked the first Avatar film. The second one will make huge money also. 1 billion worldwide - easy, 2 billion worldwide - quite possibly, and even 3 billion is a possibility - given it's popularity in China.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As I have Inkworks redemption cards on my watchlist
This has just come up
Buffy WOS PTR-1 and AR1 have been sold as a pair from China for US $219.00
I have noticed that most Inkworks redemption cards have had a gradual rise in asking prices over the last few months

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One of the members here on Card Talk picked up the unreleased 1996 E.T. (Topps) lenticular card. I think it went for around $ 1500.00

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That card has sold for around $500-1000 in the past and it hasn't sold when offered for that much in the past so that might be a record price for it.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great card -- any idea how many exist?

I saw one at a show not too long after they were created and I've never seen another one since.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There were said to be 2 10-card sheets. Topps kept one sheet intact. The other one was cut into singles and it appears some people at Topps each got one and then an unknown number of those leaked out out onto the market. Personally, I've heard of three sales over the past 10-15 years but I don't know whether it was the same card each time.

posted Hide Post
Wow -- so an estimated 10 copies in circulation.

I think if this card were widely known it likely would be worth more.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I was looking up a checklist for "Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull" on "Allenders" and happened to notice these autograph card numbers.

Harrison Ford - 8
George Lucas - 8
Steven Spielberg - 8
Shia LaBeouf & Karen Allen - 1
Ford, Spielberg & Lucas - 1

So how many of them ever saw the light of day and what should they be worth now?

Posts: 10378 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Raven, if you scroll down on this article to the bottom, there is a photo of the Ford auto

This article says that only 7 were made, not 8

https://www.cardboardconnectio...ard-collecting-guide

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Raven, if you scroll down on this article to the bottom, there is a photo of the Ford auto

This article says that only 7 were made, not 8

https://www.cardboardconnectio...ard-collecting-guide

That's a good article because it shows the increasing quantity of the various Harrison Ford certified autograph cards that have been made. I'm sure that it's not exactly current, so there are more out there now.

The way I read it, the 7 cards refer to his signatures in Indiana Jones Masterpieces. It doesn't give any numbers for the signatures in Indiana Jones Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. My numbers for Crystal Skull were taken from Allenders list, which are usually pretty accurate. But hey, a couple more or less hardly matter.

The thing is, we know all these cards weren't packed out. They never are. If they made only 8, it would be great if 5 got out, probably less than that. The maker will say they need to hold back replacements, there will be favorite son buyers and the owner/maker itself will want to keep a copy or two for their own benefit. So when production is this low, its even way lower than that for available autograph cards. Big Grin I think the Star Wars Stellar sets are the products that really boosted Fords autograph card number.

BTW I see one of Ford's IJ Heritage cards up on BIN right now for only $25,000. Maybe it's a bargain, I wouldn't know. Smokin'

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,