Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Cards that have significantly increased in value.
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 33
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cards that have significantly increased in value.
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's been tough for me to get an idea of the going-rate for the Serenity SSD-2004. It appeared on the market after Inkworks went out of business and it seems it was printed for the 2004 San Diego Comic-Con but wasn't given out (other promos for the set were given out the following year). One of these did sell for $300 about ten years ago when they appeared for sale and another one went for about $70 around that time. One sold for $125 about two years ago. I didn't see the $288 sale but that is a significant jump and it will be interesting if another one sells for around that.

quote:
Originally posted by cardscout182:
please excuse if this has come up before... a recent online search in the last 2 weeks has shown some interesting finds that have REALLY increased in value.
Namely, Vampire Diaries season 1 P5 for $230
Serenity Movie Promo SSD-2004 $288
and fringe Season 5 P3 Frog promo was going for $347.50. I'll have to start listing some of my spares...
anyone know or heard about card shops making a resurgence with the increasing value in cards..?

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon (3/24/2021):

I also noticed that Ozzy Osbourne's Inkworks auto recently sold for $850:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-...4:g:svsAAOSwoAlfjHtz

Ozzy Osbourne Osbournes autograph sold yesterday for just under $700: 363806694974

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bone
posted Hide Post
JK Simmons for $500.

Posts: 78 | Location: Australia | Registered: August 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Weird. There are two BIN for $175 and $220 plus a 2 case incentive for $250.

quote:
Originally posted by bone:
JK Simmons for $500.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That J. K. Simmons autograph may be making a run at being the highest priced hit of a modern character actor.

The Dafoe and Lee signatures have taken a good bounce too. Maguire was always high, being the star and very limited, but for a while there the Franco would have been the better bet. Now Franco is kind of stuck, still #4 in the set, but I'm not sure how much demand is there for his only certified card.

It's an interesting contrast between Maguire and Franco. Both of their careers have stalled. Franco was doing well but fell out of favor because of his bad behavior.

Maguire just seemed to have stopped making films, but if you check out his personal reputation, he ran afoul of some other kind of behavior that hurt him in the industry. However Maguire looks to be ready for a comeback and his Spider-Man 3 autograph card never took a hit and has probably gone up with the latest Spider-Man news.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:
Originally posted by webjon (4/13/2022):
Spongebob Paul T sketch $550:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-...rksid=p2047675.l2557

Not sure if this is related to being graded -- I don't see any others for sale or any recent sales.

Sponge Bob sketch sold for a Best Offer of $395 -- sold VERY fast.
May have gone higher if they waited.

Another Spongebob Sketch 115360100344 -- this one brought $900. It was graded a BGS 9.0 -- I have no idea if that plays in to the pricing. The interesting thing about these Spongebob sketches is that they are all basically the same.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Regarding
the Serenity SSD2004 card I dont think yhat it was sold for the price of $288
I think that is the new price that the UK vendor has it now listed for sale .
It is rather a big hike in the previously listed card on their site.

Posts: 760 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bone
posted Hide Post
Chris Pine's 2nd Star Trek autograph for $410. This is the first time I've seen this card sell for over $250.

Jason Isaac'sHarry Potter GOF card for $326.

Posts: 78 | Location: Australia | Registered: August 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piko:
Regarding

Well it's an Inkworks card so i would not trust the scarcity of the card one bit, there is probably a pallet load of them.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Regarding

That's the dealer who purchased inkworks surplus stock. One sells another one appears

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bone:
Chris Pine's 2nd Star Trek autograph for $410. This is the first time I've seen this card sell for over $250.

Jason Isaac'sHarry Potter GOF card for $326.

There is a guy on Blowout who has been pumping up Harry Potter cards to his Instagram followers -- this person and many of his followers seem to have decided to 'invest' in Harry Potter cards, which may be driving a lot of the sales -- and asking prices.

The prices are spiking quickly on some cards. Hard to tell if this is going to be sustainable, but many of the Marvel cards that have been pumped up recently have dropped in price significantly already. I'm personally not buying anything at massively inflated prices.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, and when you think about it, that may not the best way to sell something like that. There is such a thing as "the time value of money." That seller has sold maybe two of those cards in the past few years on Ebay (maybe a few more as private sales in the past several years?) at about $125. The problem is he has probably sold to all the collectors who really wanted that card. He might think doubling the price makes it more special but the Firefly fan base didn't get any bigger since the last sale nor did the pool of card collectors who pay through the nose for a rare card. Even rich people like a bargain or at least feel they are getting some value.

I understand wanting to get the most per rare card but if it takes 10 years to sell maybe 10 cards you are not actually maximizing your profit. I think he could have sold them all for $100 each and had that money to roll into something else to make a profit on. If the cards have been taking forever to sell at $125, how fast are the leftovers going to go at $288?

Speaking as a promo collector who doesn't have that card, I know I'm less interested in it now. For $288, I can get a number of other promos I don't have. Like you and Wolfie, I also wonder if he has just a few left or another stack. The price jump indicates to me that he might have just a few left and he really wants to score with those. I can't blame him for that with other cards selling for crazier money but those other cards generally feature a popular character or bear a celebrity autograph (or both) while his is basically just a title card.

quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:
Regarding

That's the dealer who purchased inkworks surplus stock. One sells another one appears

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
There is such a thing as "the time value of money."

quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:
Regarding

If the same original buyer is still nursing those cards since roughly 2009, he probably got them cheap and made his money back multiple times over. As long as he has a place to store them, he can set any prices he wants and not care if they ever sell.

One day he will decide to discount the lot and just clear everything out. Then that surplus will devalue whatever is out there already, but you won't know which cards were still in stock until it happens.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I do not think that the vendor of the Serenity card has got a great ammount of them as most of the rarer Inkworks cards that they got from the stock purchase are being sold quiet often with a starting bid of 99c
They have only ever put that I know of two of these cards up for auction at this 99c starting bid about two years ago so it is reasonable that there not so many available
But in saying this they still have these cards left so as said there could still be hundreds in their stock
Both cards that they auctioned were sold for under $40.00 as I won one for about $29 and I had a go at the second one being greedy but missed out it went for about ten or twelve $ more
I also seem to remember that they had also sold one privately through their shop
But as they had purchased the Inkworks stock who knows how many here are as being printed for the SDCC there must of been a few

Posts: 760 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Have just seen in the sold listings
A Star Wars Galaxy 2 Yoda card P2 sold for $992.00 US on April 27
Although rare I did not expect to see this card reach this price as it seems to be readily available if wanted

posted Hide Post
An Emma Watson OOTP autograph sold for $10,500.

Hurts to type that as I traded one of those away once. Details are on Blowout.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Although rare I did not expect to see this card reach this price as it seems to be readily available if wanted

That was P3, the so-called "Lost Yoda".
And just yesterday, the reprint of it from 2009 Star Wars Galaxy Series 4, numbered to 1,000, went for $450.

Looks like the cheapest way, by far, to get a card with this image is one of those promos packed with the Abrams Star Wars Galaxy book discussed recently in another thread.

Here's that one, bottom right corner...

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's interesting. Back in the 2000's, that P3 had a wild price range going from $500 to $2000 according to PCE2008. By about 7-8 years ago, it settled to around $350 with one sale as low as $300 a few years ago. I'm not sure I saw one offered last year after years of seeing at least one for sale. The rarity was always stressed and people have speculated how many are floating around. It was originally thought that very few got out but it seems maybe as many as 20-30 exist. More?

quote:

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Someone wants about $800 for the SWG4 version now. Yeah, it was a nice surprise to get the same art on one of the cards from the Abrams book. Who knows if I'll ever be able to get a P3.

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
quote:

That was P3, the so-called "Lost Yoda".
And just yesterday, the reprint of it from 2009 Star Wars Galaxy Series 4, numbered to 1,000, went for $450.

Looks like the cheapest way, by far, to get a card with this image is one of those promos packed with the Abrams Star Wars Galaxy book discussed recently in another thread.

Here's that one, bottom right corner...

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Haha, yeah, I just cut out a card-sized picture of it from a non-sports magazine and put it in my binder a long time ago.

I actually bought 2 cases of Galaxy 4, but didn't pull one, which was a bit of bad luck, as I think there was one in every other case. There's a more limited artist signed version of it, too. The value of that one must likewise be through the roof.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post