Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Cards that have significantly increased in value.
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 33
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cards that have significantly increased in value.
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
If only we could get Banksy to partially shred an otherwise perfect Luke Skywalker card!

(Banksy, if you're a member here, please message me.)

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've noticed some odd sales of now-old X-Files cards. The Season 2 "0" card (1995), an exclusive insert in "X-Files Magazine #2 sold for $14.64 recently. Last year, it was going for $3-4. It may be just an outlier but I've seen a few other X-Files bump up significantly.

The X-Files Season 2 P1 has sold for $5.43 and $19.99 in the past 3 months. It was a $1-2 card back around 2016 when it seemed X-Files promos - particularly the Topps ones - had sunk to their all-time lows in value. A few had been $15-25 cards (some dealers getting more) or more but even they had fallen to $5 or less.

The X-Files Seasons 6 & 7 XCL-1 case card had been going for about $8 last year but one just sold for $14.74. I know these numbers aren't going to impress any of the autograph or sketch collectors but a jump from around $5 to around $15 is significant for a promo especially when it had been bumping around the bottom of the river for years.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Many Marvel cards continue to increase in value.

A Fleer Ultra Spider-Man Preserved Amber card of Spider-Man sold last night for $293 on eBay (115168992954). I bought the same card less than a year ago for under $20.

The values in Marvel cards are VERY character specific in ways I haven't seen in entertainment cards before.

For example I also bought a Mary Jane Preserved Amber for about $2 on the same day I bought the Spider-Man. Mary Jane last sold for $12.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Was a bit surprised to see the jump in the Isaac Hayes Stargate card.

Posts: 4847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is currently a Fleer Ultra Spider-Man Metal card #MM0 on eBay at $1200 with a day left in the auction. This is an ePack achievement that was selling for under $100 in the last 18 months.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
There is currently a Fleer Ultra Spider-Man Metal card #MM0 on eBay at $1200 with a day left in the auction. This is an ePack achievement that was selling for under $100 in the last 18 months.

I just checked and have one sitting in my binder with my set. Looked up my COMC purchase history and paid $7.72 for it on August 2, 2017.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1176 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude posted October 25, 2021 12:07 PM:
A few more

Kirsten Dunst $190 lower than I would imagine

Dunst Sold today for $439.52. Item 234391490560

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's about quadruple what it was going for just a few years ago. She's been talked about as possibly being up for an Oscar this year in "The Power of the Dog."

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And here I just won this Razor sealed & uncirculated Dunst a couple days prior for $273:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38469...rksid=p2047675.l2557

I wanted to find one Razor uncirculated for a while now and was quite pleased winning this one. I wasn't sure how good I did on the price (as I also remember the days of her autograph selling for around $100), but it now looks like I did OK. Cool It probably didn't help the seller/consigner that her name in the listing title was spelled "Kristen". Wink

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I'd think the Razor version would be more desirable.

Yours was sold by Probstein, who a lot of people dislike.

The other was sold by COMC. . . Wonder if that has anything to do with the selling price. Odd.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't sweat the going-rate when going after something hard-to-find and you've wanted it for a while and you have the money to shoot it out with snipers. It does look like you did okay. It might have helped that her first name was misspelled but then it still got 41 bids. Some buyers check alternate spellings of names like Kirsten or Teri and they get lucky sometimes. I just wonder what is spurring all the interest after her autograph value was rather flat for so long. Oscar buzz or even a win doesn't always give a card like that a bump.

quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
And here I just won this Razor sealed & uncirculated Dunst a couple days prior for $273:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38469...rksid=p2047675.l2557

I wanted to find one Razor uncirculated for a while now and was quite pleased winning this one. I wasn't sure how good I did on the price (as I also remember the days of her autograph selling for around $100), but it now looks like I did OK. Cool It probably didn't help the seller/consigner that her name in the listing title was spelled "Kristen". Wink

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well the Dunst Small Soldiers autograph card has been mentioned quite a few times on Card Talk in the distant past and then in a few threads more recently. It has always held its value and was always over $100. I should know. I looked for it for a couple years before I gave up and paid the price of $109 back in January 2009.

I think the demand was constant and the card was undervalued. Now her career is getting more publicity again. So in this case, it's a warranted market correction that makes more sense than a whole lot of other card increases happening for who knows why.

I would also say that maybe some Card Talk readers picked up on her card through these forums and decided to look for it, which increased demand, competition and ultimately price.

Why not? On any given day there are hundreds, perhaps thousands of guests. Both card collectors and card sellers are referring to limited resources to gauge the market, get new reports and new ideas. People do read Card Talk, even if they may not be posting. They read it even if they may not agree with everything or everyone. I look at Blowout for info, but never joined. Same thing.

So when some people say that Card Talk is underutilized, why not say that Card Talk forums are the only threads focused squarely on non-sport card collectors of all kinds and that the information you find here helps to make a difference in your enjoyment of the hobby. Maybe it even might affect card values. Smile

Posts: 10375 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That may be true. I picked the Dunst card as a "card to watch" a few years ago and now it's hot! I don't know if any other card I thought was worth watching has jumped in value but probably just got lucky assuming I would get some kind of credit for such a delayed reaction. I did notice that after there was some discussion here of that Get Smart Bernie Kopell autograph promo last year, the 2-3 ones around $15 that were for sale on Ebay sold within a couple of days of that discussion. I think a more expensive one didn't sell.

Yeah, at least 60 people seem to be looking at Card Talk every time I sign in whatever the hour.

I'm not a member of Blowout either but I check the non-sport section sometimes to see what they're talking about.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Anton Yelchin

Jan 10 Asking price 1,397.75 Best Offer $895
Jan 20 Sale Price $443.88 23 bids
Feb 03 Sale Price $495.09 6 bids

Posts: 4847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Ryan Reynolds

24 Nov BIN $975.00
01 Dec Asking Price $1999.00 BO $1,600 Grade 9.5
19 Dec $890.00 20 bidders
01 Jan Sale Price $2,299.99 Grade 10
06 Jan Asking Price $1,050.00 BO $950

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Wow! Cloris Leachman just sold for $765 on a BIN.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My two cents on the rise in value of Dunst's autograph....

I think there are two factors at play:

1) the autograph values of many upper-level Hollywood actors/actresses (especially those in their prime) have risen almost across the board. I would say A-list actors in their prime, but I would admit Kirsten is not A list. Though I do think she is a solid B to B+ level actress. Smile Plus she's very attractive. That never hurts. Luv You

and more importantly...

2) her connection to Spider-Man. Those Tobey Maguire Spider-Man films have become sentimental favorites for people of a certain age range who grew up with them. A lot of younger people remember those films (especially the first two) quite fondly. Plus the connection to Marvel and now the MCU. Everything Marvel is hot. Tobey Maguire and Willem Dafoe's autograph cards have now become hot and quite valuable. It would make sense that Kirsten's would also, even though it's not on a Spider-Man card. It's still the only time she ever signed.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tommy Lee Jones
Men in Black 2 MiB II A1
Inkworks 2002
$3,607.00
Seller: opeli (339) 100%
16 bids
Item: 125124507509

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:

That's crazy. She was on my 'to buy' list back when her autographs were $20 -- I don't think I ever picked one up.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:

Sale was a tailored bulk listing “for Jeff” that included 11 other autos, one of which is an Outer Limits Shatner which probably accounted for the majority of the sale price.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post