Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Cards that have significantly increased in value.
Page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 33
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cards that have significantly increased in value.
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
A Topps Spongebob sketch sold for $999.

It was listed for a long time, so I was surprised to see it sell -- in Terapeak it seems someone managed to buy one for $120 BIN last month -- which was a STEAL compared to recent sales.

Those sold so cheap for a long time. $999 is astonishing!

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I've been telling people for years to pick up that James Earl Jones auto from Conan, but you know why the interest is picking up, right? They think he's next. Frown

I think a bigger factor is that his official Darth Vader auto cards have become increasingly difficult to find over the last couple of years. And when they do occasionally come up, at increasingly silly prices that make the Conan card look much more sensible.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
I've been telling people for years to pick up that James Earl Jones auto from Conan, but you know why the interest is picking up, right? They think he's next. Frown

I think a bigger factor is that his official Darth Vader auto cards have become increasingly difficult to find over the last couple of years. And when they do occasionally come up, at increasingly silly prices that make the Conan card look much more sensible.

True, but they always were more sensible, and yet the best card/best role mentality prevailed and kept his Conan card cheap for a very long time. He also has signatures in Americana without benefit of any screen character and they weren't hard to find. Now the demand for his autograph has gone up for all and it looks like even the Americana cards are asking over $300.

It is the combination of his Vader cards going up and also that he's headed for 92. Now that Harrison Ford turned 80, expect to see the prices of his autograph cards start to leap up again too. Because of the increased supply, he did take a minor dip, but I predict that Ford's best autograph cards are going to be breaking records soon.

It's just the way human nature works. Tell someone that something may stop being made and they suddenly have to have it, even if they never wanted it before. Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Part of the reason his cards are going up is that Vader appeared in several episodes of the recent Obi Wan Kenobi show. Fresh content. James Earl Jones did the voice and he sounded great - sounded better than when he did some retakes for the first trilogy special editions in the 90's.

I wanted to like the Kenobi show but it was terrible. If you count that as part of the whole story, it takes all the drama out of what was built between the Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:

True, but they always were more sensible, and yet the best card/best role mentality prevailed and kept his Conan card cheap for a very long time. He also has signatures in Americana without benefit of any screen character and they weren't hard to find. Now the demand for his autograph has gone up for all and it looks like even the Americana cards are asking over $300.

It is the combination of his Vader cards going up and also that he's headed for 92. Now that Harrison Ford turned 80, expect to see the prices of his autograph cards start to leap up again too. Because of the increased supply, he did take a minor dip, but I predict that Ford's best autograph cards are going to be breaking records soon.

It's just the way human nature works. Tell someone that something may stop being made and they suddenly have to have it, even if they never wanted it before. Big Grin

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Like or hate it Star Wars is solidified into the culture. It is multi generational in a very strong way. We are losing the first generation cast and a few of them don't sign any more. I can only see related licensed autograph items going up.

Even for those who signed on multiple sets all of them are very limited by comparison to standard Star Wars merchandising numbers.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
David Mazouz Gotham Season 1 autograph sold for $345. 385120417723

When I last looked at this autograph it was selling for under $100.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
David Mazouz Gotham Season 1 autograph sold for $345. 385120417723

When I last looked at this autograph it was selling for under $100.

That is an oddity. I am seen it inching up to 125 to 150 over the last few years but that is quite a jump.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If my Terapeak search is accurate there have only been 2 sold in the last year -- one for a $50 BIN in January and one last October for $185.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Brendan Fraser is picking up all the festival awards for "The Whale" right now. He's had a rough time since his Mummy days and he's career was all but washed up. Just the kind of comeback story the Academy Awards' voters like. His Mummy and Looney Tunes cards look to be going up. If he does take the Best Actor Oscar his autograph cards should really peak. There is a way to go till the year ends, but a nomination looks like a lock.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I have Fraser's "Looney Toons" auto card, but the one from the Mummy is clearly more desirable.

I noticed a couple of Danny Elfman autograph cards from Inkworks "Sleepy Hollow" sold for over $300 each over the past 5 weeks or so.

Not quite the value of a Star Wars 30th John Williams card where composers are concerned (and there are two more Elfmans now listed at less than $300), but the card does seem to be trending in a positive direction.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I would say an Elfman autograph card is a good card to pick up. It was around a S40-50 card in the late 2000's, but more recently, he's been getting discovered by a whole new generation. My 19-year old nephew was excited about going to his most recent concert. He went with my brother and sister-in-law who have been big fans for decades.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
To my surprise Elfman's cards are over $300 now -- as recently as March they were available at $100.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
To my surprise Elfman's cards are over $300 now -- as recently as March they were available at $100.

He had a huge performance at a festival - Burning Man? But his name was in the spotlight for a little while, surely renewing interest.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Cards on the 2005 "Apprentice" set by Comic Images are suddenly selling for big bucks on ebay.

Sets of promos for $ 12.00

Card # 1 in the set, by itself, for $ 39 and $ 52. (??)

Autograph DT1. Sold for $ 2,499 (???)

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I heard Elfman was just in my area about a week and a half ago. A local symphony orchestra played all the scores he did for various Tim Burton movies.

quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
quote:

He had a huge performance at a festival - Burning Man? But his name was in the spotlight for a little while, surely renewing interest.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
quote:

It was Coachella, which is a big two week summer music festival in the desert in Southern California. I watched his performance on YouTube and he still brings it. (In addition to his other talents, he's a world class xylophone player.) He'd retired from performing live music decades ago due to hearing loss, but apparently the roar of the live crowd has finally coaxed him back to it, and he indicated during the show plans to not only release new (non-orchestral) music, but also to continue with his return to the stage. Were he to reform Oingo Boingo, his band, I have no doubt they could sell out our largest venues, certainly locally.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The V Mars season 2 APW4 sold at auction 22 Sept US $38 with 17 bidders
On the UK auction site that is selling the Inkworks cardsThis card has at least doubled in value on this site
The seller must have every card produced for this set as they have been dribbling these APW cards for the last 4 or 5 years with the AWP4 Charisma Carpenter card being the most popular the auction price being $13 to $16 for the last few years
I won this set a long time ago for I think just over $30 for the 4 cards. Funnily the same seller is selling not auctioning the Redemption cards for this set at very high prices.

Posts: 760 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I am starting to hear more and more people looking for costume and piece works cards.

Might be a good time to start dumping mine as I have no use for em.

quote:
Originally posted by piko:
The V Mars season 2 APW4 sold at auction 22 Sept US $38 with 17 bidders
On the UK auction site that is selling the Inkworks cardsThis card has at least doubled in value on this site
The seller must have every card produced for this set as they have been dribbling these APW cards for the last 4 or 5 years with the AWP4 Charisma Carpenter card being the most popular the auction price being $13 to $16 for the last few years
I won this set a long time ago for I think just over $30 for the 4 cards. Funnily the same seller is selling not auctioning the Redemption cards for this set at very high prices.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
In the same vein as giving a heads up on Brendan Fraser's chances of landing an Oscar this year, Cate Blanchett might be collecting her 3rd for "Tar". Again not one of your more mainstream box office winners, but the kind of movie that Academy Award voters love and the reviews for Blanchett are spectacular.

Both of her LotR autograph cards have already risen out of their "book" stagnation in the last couple of years. It would appear that no more from her will be in CZX's Middle Earth. Whether she wins Best Actress or not, and she may already have won it according to some, I think she will be all over Awards season. Her signature cards should stand a good chance of jumping again.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
If my Terapeak search is accurate there have only been 2 sold in the last year -- one for a $50 BIN in January and one last October for $185.

I bought the one in January.