Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Cards that have significantly increased in value.
Page 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cards that have significantly increased in value.
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
A James Bond D card just sold for about $1200.

Not sure of previous sales.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
A James Bond D card just sold for about $1200. sales.

I had to look that one up to see what you were even talking about. The other eight cards can be had for $5.99. Big Grin

I don't know. To each his own I guess, but manufactured rarity in cards that have no inherit value is such a manipulative practice. I hate to see it rewarded.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

The other eight cards can be had for $5.99. Big Grin

Thats because the D card was the winning card, not sure how many there were but it could not have been many. Of course how many were printed that's another story

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
So it was sort of like the insert set that only a few people could complete, because one of the cards in it was a short run? One has to ask, why? It's not like it was an autograph or super rare costume swatch.

Thinking back, I think there have been a couple of GoT insert sets where one card in the set was super rare, but if you're an OCD master set chaser, or just like a particular insert set, then it must drive them nuts. Big Grin
One insert I'm thinking of was the pin badges of the GoT House sigils, one of those was very rare...but it was all a bit daft, as they were only the official pin badges with the backing pins knocked off and mounted as a card...you could pick them up for under £10 each in badge form. Roll Eyes Big Grin

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog Witch:
quote:
"As the prime example I really like Bella Ramsey, who is only 16 now and has been acting for a few years. She reminds me of a younger Saoirse Ronan, who is at a ripe 26 years of age herself."

Bella turned 19 last September. She can and does look much younger though.

That was a snippet of an old post of mine from 8/29/20 in the "Cards to Watch" thread, as I noted. Ramsey was 16 when I wrote it. I copied it over here as my way of saying "I told you so" Big Grin and collectors would have done well if they had picked up her autographs before she took off.

Apologies. Big Grin I read it too quickly before going to bed, that and a bit of MS brain-fog. Big Grin

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog Witch:

So it was sort of like the insert set that only a few people could complete, because one of the cards in it was a short run? One has to ask, why? It's not like it was an autograph or super rare costume swatch.

The D card was the winning card in like the letter card lottery, you sent in the D card to win the prize which would have been a master set or something.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
quote:

The D card was the winning card in like the letter card lottery, you sent in the D card to win the prize which would have been a master set or something.

I think the Skybox Star Trek sets had a couple of those back in the day. I definitely remember one of the TOS sets having the same thing.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raj:

I think the Skybox Star Trek sets had a couple of those back in the day. I definitely remember one of the TOS sets having the same thing.

yes thats right, it was a thing back then, Farscape had it also.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's very similar to certain redemption cards that promise prizes or are used to get another card that wasn't packed out. Sometimes much later, after the prize has been collected or the whole thing expired, card collectors are still willing to pay huge sums just for the redemption card that no longer has anything to redeem.

I can understand that as a quest for an expert completist, but only up to a point. The value of the card was in collecting the prize, now it's just a novelty for a select few. How does that generate enough demand to maintain a high price? Some card sales seem to defy the principles of card collecting and there is no logic to it except that someone was willing to pay the money.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
Skybox released voided versions of the cards for the completists (according to nslists.com).

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
These type of cards were not unusual in some UK trade issues in the late 1940's, early 1950's. The Kiddy's Favourites and Junior Pastimes issues all had sets with 1 card that was very short printed and are still scarce today. The cards themselves were issued in bunches of eight stapled together enclosed by a wrapper that gave details of prizes that were on offer when completed sets were sent in. When this happened the cards were then rubber stamped with "cancelled" on the back, these cards are also very difficult to find. Admittedly most of these cards will not appeal to those of you but they are out there.

Remember that when these cards were being issued paper products were still in very short supply and the UK still had rationing for a lot of products especially those items being offered as prizes. Although at the time I was very young I remember seeing ration cards and coupons at home.

Below are some examples of what I have mentioned, two wrappers and two cards and three books of cards

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

I am still trying to complete some of the sets.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

That's very similar to certain redemption cards that promise prizes or are used to get another card that wasn't packed out. Sometimes much later, after the prize has been collected or the whole thing expired, card collectors are still willing to pay huge sums just for the redemption card that no longer has anything to redeem.

I can understand that as a quest for an expert completist, but only up to a point. The value of the card was in collecting the prize, now it's just a novelty for a select few. How does that generate enough demand to maintain a high price? Some card sales seem to defy the principles of card collecting and there is no logic to it except that someone was willing to pay the money.

The value of the card is not just in the now expired prize (a 40th Anniversary master set, which is not all that rare). This is a VERY scarce chase card when all is said and done.

The Bond 'D' contest card was limited to 40 copies. Most of which will have been redeemed and had the top corner clipped and 'VOID' written on the back. An unused copy is a rare thing indeed.

In 20 years I think I have only ever seen one other unredeembed copy of this card that went for ~£600.

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
The unredeemed rare letter prize cards from Rittenhouse "Twilight Zone" are probably valuable, too.
I think they were "Z" in Series 1 from "Twilight Zone" and "S" in Series 2 from "Rod Serling".

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I think that's the only unredeemed one I have, although I have one or two voided letter cards in the Star Trek sets.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I missed out on the Bond "D" card. My local shop got 2 boxes of these, one for me and one for another collector. I got to them first and the dealer pulled out both boxes, and said "which one do you want?" I took one, the other had the "D" card, and the other collector, who I became good friends with, got the master set with all autographs.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
I missed out on the Bond "D" card. My local shop got 2 boxes of these, one for me and one for another collector. I got to them first and the dealer pulled out both boxes, and said "which one do you want?" I took one, the other had the "D" card, and the other collector, who I became good friends with, got the master set with all autographs.

OMG!!!... i would have died on the spot, i would not have been able to function. Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just come across a single Brooke Bond card issued in 1974 that has been graded as PSA10 and is up for sale at $350. A UK dealer has the complete set of 50 valued at £4.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Just come across a single Brooke Bond card issued in 1974 that has been graded as PSA10 and is up for sale at $350. A UK dealer has the complete set of 50 valued at £4.

regards

John

That's the mad world of grading right there. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
To be fair, at least a card from the 70's endured old school collecting habits. Maybe a grade 10 is actually worth the price, if it ever sells for that. Unfortunately many sellers have failed in the idea that rare equals value. Simple economics still stands that supply and demand drive the final price.

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Alas the card in question cannot be classed as rare, it was most likely printed in multiples of thousands and was available in packets of tea for about a year, in addition it would have also been available either separately or as part of the complete set from the Brooke Bond Card department for some years after issue. It is dare I say it classed as a 10 penny card. Incidentally the same set was issued in Malta the same year albeit in smaller numbers and with the Maltese issuers name rather than Brooke Bond shown on the back. This set sells for about ten times the price of the UK set.

regards

John