Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    WARNING - avoid Topps
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WARNING - avoid Topps
 Login/Join

New Card Talk Member
posted
WARNING - do NOT buy Topps products!
Has anyone been able to contact ANYONE at Topps corporate or "so-called" customer service?
I bought a box of cards directly from Topps Online and have a problem.
I emailed Topps CS - NO response.
I called and left a detailed message - NO response.
I have called several times since and no one ever answers the phone?
The operator voice mail is full.
I called corporate but only get voice mail.
Does anyone work at Topps?
They advertise hours of operation as 8:30a-4:30p but, their recorded phone messages say 10a-4p?
How are customers supposed to deal with a product problem if NO ONE at Topps responds?
Topps happily takes our money but, REFUSES to answer and respond to potential problems which only makes a bad situation worse!

Posts: 9 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
try twitter or facebook

good luck

Posts: 78 | Location: cave on an island, usa | Registered: May 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
Had an issue with one of my Mars Attacks boxes. Had to wait a bit on hold, but got through, and my issue was (or will be) resolved.

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I do not do Facebook or Twitter.

I have tried calling at different hours on different days and can NEVER get through to anyone?
Sometimes it will go directly to a voice mail - upon which I left a detailed message - NO response.
Sometimes I will wait and it will go silent and then the same music and prerecorded messages will start all over again and I wait some more - NO answer??

I do not understand why a live person at Topps REFUSES to respond?

Posts: 9 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
If you have a problem with Topps i think you need to deal with them and i know, you are trying.

Topps advertise in the magazine and by association sponsor this forum, telling people not to buy their products is not going to go down well here.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of clearblue
posted Hide Post
Topps CS has been fine for me. They replaced some sports cards for me without a problem. I guess you need to try some more and have a little more patience.

Posts: 366 | Location: Richmond | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
SOrry you feel discouraged, but I can assure you a company such as Topps wouldn't be around this long if they treated everyone dreadfully.
Also, be sure you are contacting the right place, Since you ordered from Topps Online, you would want to use their contact info and not any other type of CS since it may be different departments:
To return an order, report lost or damaged merchandise, or report a shipment error, please contact our Customer Service team by phone at 1-866-374-8266 (9am to 4pm ET), or by email at storehelp@topps.comwithin 20 days of shipment (as reflected in the shipping confirmation email sent to you). All claims for lost, damage or error in shipment must be made through Customer Service.
Keep tracks of dates and times and emails sent in case you go beyond their 20 days, so they know you made a good faith effort.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have called three different phone numbers for Topps (1-800, 1-866, 1-212).
All three only got me recordings to leave voice mail - which I did.

I have also emailed several times - still no response.

I do NOT wish to upset anyone or be disrespectful to anyone - especially here.

I am being honest - and if the truth hurts, so be it.

This was my last resort to getting a response from Topps.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
If I'm not mistaken, I think the original poster bought a box of Mars Attacks but there was no sketch in it. Since it was purchased online, it was a retail box and sketches are only in every 4th box, so they are not guaranteed in any single box. If the box was purchased through Topps online, it was a retail box, since that is the only kind they sell.

If it was purchased elsewhere and is a hobby box and is marked as such on the box, then Topps does owe him a sketch card and I'm sure they will provide one, but let's be sure it was a hobby box and not a retail box to make sure one is owed him.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
NSU should not be a *last resort* in getting attention for an issue you are having with a company. It's not fair to them.
Asking advice on how best to contact them-reaonsable.
Finding out if you truley HAVE an issue is a fair thing to do.
Warning (in all caps) to boycott a company isn't.
Don't get me wrong, I want you to have satisfaction if it is due. I'd expect it for myself, I'd pursue it for myself, but no collateral damage here, ok?
Again, I hope all ends well. I've had issues with boxes now and again and it's totally right to wish to get it resolved.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Spending my hard-earned monies on a box of trading cards was supposed to be a pleasant experience.
So was joining NSU to talk about same cards.

I feel I did not get my monies worth from that box of cards - no base set, no New Universe set, no sketch.

Having tried to contact Topps several times via email and phone and getting no response - being ignored by Topps, has only made the situation worse.

Apparently, from the feedback I have been getting from NSU - I am in the wrong and no basis to complain and no right to criticize Topps!?!

Clearly, I have offended some people and if so, I apologize.

I know when I am not welcome - I will not bother anyone here ever again.

My problem still exists - my opinion that Topps does not care AND does not deserve our business STILL exists!

Good Bye and Good Luck.

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I did not get a sketch in one of my hobby boxes and I followed the directions on the Topps website (sent receipt, upc code from box, wrappers, and letter of explanation) and in one week I had my replacement sketch. So your complaint seems to lack merit on some level. There are plently of people here on Card Talk who would have been happy to advise you on how to deal with the problem but coming on here and just trashing Topps from the start is no way to do things. Why don't you step back and relax and send me an e-mail and I will try to help you the best I can.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Headless Horseman
posted Hide Post
I sent an email last Saturday and received a response over the weekend that someone would follow up within two days. On Monday, I received an email with all the instructions on how to get a replacement card.

All instructions are also on the Topps website also.

Posts: 1112 | Location: Freehold, NJ, USA | Registered: January 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
I just called Topps customer service. I was on hold for about 4 minutes. Spoke to Mike. he is working on my question. No problems here. I would try again and realize they are a big company and deal with alot of people calling, some about legitimate issue, some not. I believe if you look at the box or packs, Topps makes no guarantee on box breakdowns like some other companies do. But they will help you. They have been making cards for over 60 years and they want to do the right thing for their customers. I don't know why you are giving up so easliy. I am sure that patience will prevail. Try again, gently. Remember, you get more with honey then you do with vinegar...

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Headless Horseman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beamer:
I just called Topps customer service. I was on hold for about 4 minutes. Spoke to Mike. he is working on my question. No problems here. I would try again and realize they are a big company and deal with alot of people calling, some about legitimate issue, some not. I believe if you look at the box or packs, Topps makes no guarantee on box breakdowns like some other companies do. But they will help you. They have been making cards for over 60 years and they want to do the right thing for their customers. I don't know why you are giving up so easliy. I am sure that patience will prevail. Try again, gently. Remember, you get more with honey then you do with vinegar...

Mars Attacks hobby boxes does guarantee a sketch in the box.

Posts: 1112 | Location: Freehold, NJ, USA | Registered: January 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Right, but the boxes sold through Topps online are 24 pack retail boxes with the sketch odds given at 1:96, meaning just one sketch is found in every four boxes. Topps Online does not sell Hobby Boxes, and the original poster would've actually been quite lucky to pull a sketch from just one box.

He really should've gotten a complete set though, and I'm sure Topps would take care of that were he to ask for that, but I can't see them giving a sketch advertised at 1 in 96 packs to someone who essentially bought just 24 retail packs and didn't get one.

If the original poster would email me, I'd gladly give him the cards he was missing to finish his set as I hate to see a newer collector/card talker discouraged, and I hope he knows none of us were trying to do that. We need all the collectors we can get!

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
Honestly, it seemed like he just had a major axe to grind against Topps for absolutely nothing. I know that every time over the last 15 or so years that I have had to call them, I was able to speak to someone.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Hobby vs. retail boxes can be confusing. They did a wee bit of that with SkyBOx mid 90's. But, that was before the more fanicer inserts. People don't always know to check odds and when I peeked at the Topps site it didn't seem clear (at the store). Alwaya good idea to make sure to know what you're getting before buying. Even beyond cards!

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
With Topps at least, and this applies to sports and non-sports alike, one really quick way to know if it's a retail box is if they specifically refer to it as a "24 pack box".

When its a hobby box, they usually call it a hobby box specifically.

Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
Hobby box or not is beside the point. The real issue that the original poster was getting at was the lack of response to his attempts to communicate with customer service at Topps. The best thing he can do is to keep trying until he gets a hold of someone there and gets a reply to his inquiry.

I have a friend who had a lot of problems getting a hold of someone at Topps a few years back, so this isn't an unprecedented issue. Personally, I've only had communication issues with Artbox, but these things do happen and the only way to resolve them is to keep on trying until you get through to them.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post