Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    WARNING - avoid Topps
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WARNING - avoid Topps
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
If your main issue, though, as his seemed to be, is wanting Topps to provide him a sketch that was found at a rate of 1 in 96 packs in the version of the cards he bought, but he only bought 24 packs of it, I'm not sure how you'd go about getting them to give you one, no matter who you get ahold of by phone or email, or how quickly. For that reason, it's incredibly important as to what kind of box he bought. Had he known the sketches were only one in 4 boxes, he might not have bought the box and avoided this trouble.

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Headless Horseman:
quote:
Originally posted by beamer:
I just called Topps customer service. I was on hold for about 4 minutes. Spoke to Mike. he is working on my question. No problems here. I would try again and realize they are a big company and deal with alot of people calling, some about legitimate issue, some not. I believe if you look at the box or packs, Topps makes no guarantee on box breakdowns like some other companies do. But they will help you. They have been making cards for over 60 years and they want to do the right thing for their customers. I don't know why you are giving up so easliy. I am sure that patience will prevail. Try again, gently. Remember, you get more with honey then you do with vinegar...

Mars Attacks hobby boxes does guarantee a sketch in the box.

I was talking about the box break when it came to the sets and chase. Not whether you got a sketch.

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
With Topps at least, and this applies to sports and non-sports alike, one really quick way to know if it's a retail box is if they specifically refer to it as a "24 pack box".

When its a hobby box, they usually call it a hobby box specifically.

Where do thry post the odds for what's different in a retail box (clearly there were a t least a couple, like the sketch).

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
If you check the Mars Attacks boxes on ShopTopps, thet've now added the odds for sketches (1/96 packs) in bold red numbers, which they probably should've had on there from the start, but better late than never.

It might be this very topic that got Topps to make that change on their website (at least I don't remember seeing the odds in red numbers when the boxes first went on sale).

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Yah, it wasn't there yesterday when I peeked. I"n glad. It's unlikely they intended to casue confusion. I assume the *perk* of the box was getting the variant box, not what was IN the box. Letting everyone know upfront is a good thing!

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
What is also interesting is that if this thread played a part in the change to the website no one from Topps told us about the changes here.

Posts: 2121 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
What is also interesting is that if this thread played a part in the change to the website no one from Topps told us about the changes here.

They'd probably want to keep to being a lurker, otherwise they might get too many questions.

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So really the original poster of this thread had a valid gripe, although somewhat over-dramatically expressed, if Topps has since changed its website for clarity on the Mars Attacks retail boxes.

If eviffoylimaf hasn't stalked off Card Talk I would tell him/her that. Smile

Posts: 10407 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STCardGeek:
Yah, it wasn't there yesterday when I peeked. I"n glad. It's unlikely they intended to casue confusion. I assume the *perk* of the box was getting the variant box, not what was IN the box. Letting everyone know upfront is a good thing!

I also noticed that the *bold, red* statement concerning the odds in the boxes sold online was new. That's a bummer since not everyone (obviously) realized that these were retail boxes vs. hobby boxes. Bad introduction to the hobby for the new folks. Shake Head

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post