Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Favorite Pick up of 2019?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Favorite Pick up of 2019?
 Login/Join
 
Gold Card Talk Member
posted
What was your favorite pick up from 2019?

Mine was a Lynne Anderson Red Sonja sketch:



I'd seen this card sell a few times and had always missed out. . . this time I pounced on it, and probably overpaid, but I'm really happy to have a card I thought I might never see again in my collection.

Sorry for the tiny scan.

Jon
 
Posts: 4495 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One of my other hobbies is magic (sleight of hand kind), and I was please to find out about and obtain several cards of people who have worked as magicians at some part of their career.

- Marc Summers, former Food Network ("Unwrapped") and Nickleodeon ("Double Dare") host. I met him at a magic convention last year.


- Larry Anderson, who consulted on and appeared on Bill Bixby's 1970s TV show "The Magician"


- Jeff McBride, who does a mask-themed magic act, and has done a bit of acting in roles that are mask-centered



- Gene Sheldon, who performed as a nightclub magician in the 1930s and played Bernardo in the 1950s Walt Disney series "Zorro"



Still looking for moderately priced autograph cards of Jason Alexander and Neil Patrick Harris, both of whom have performed at the Magic Castle, and of Arsenio Hall, who did magic shows at birthday parties when he was younger, and won a contest at the long-running Columbus OH convention MagiFest, to which I will be going in a couple of days.
 
Posts: 1377 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Nice stuff guys.

My favorite pick-up last year was at a sleazy joint called Larry's Lube Shop, but that's another story.
 
Posts: 1984 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If you remember "The Magician," you might already know that Johnny Carson did magic in his early days, which was probably the origin of his "Carnac the Magnificent" character he sometimes played for laughs on "The Tonight Show." I don't think he signed any cards, however.

It was either Steve Martin or David Letterman whom he told a talk show host uses everything he knows in that job. It might've been Martin because he did magic in his early days as well. I heard he worked at Disneyland but I think he also worked at Knott's Berry Farm in the 60's.

I remember one episode of "The Magician." Bixby's character was looking into the "accidental" death of a fellow magician who couldn't escape a falling plate of spikes trick.

Jess


quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
One of my other hobbies is magic (sleight of hand kind), and I was please to find out about and obtain several cards of people who have worked as magicians at some part of their career.

- Larry Anderson, who consulted on and appeared on Bill Bixby's 1970s TV show "The Magician"


Still looking for moderately priced autograph cards of Jason Alexander and Neil Patrick Harris, both of whom have performed at the Magic Castle, and of Arsenio Hall, who did magic shows at birthday parties when he was younger, and won a contest at the long-running Columbus OH convention MagiFest, to which I will be going in a couple of days.
 
Posts: 1219 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
you might already know that Johnny Carson did magic in his early days,

Yeah, I knew. In fact, I sent some material about Johnny being a magician to someone who was supposedly working on a biography of him, but I guess he abandoned the project, since it hasn't come out after several years. But I'm mentioned in David Evanier's biography of Woody Allen, because Woody was also a magician as a teenager, and I sent Evanier an article that Woody wrote and published in a magic magazine.

quote:
which was probably the origin of his "Carnac the Magnificent" character he sometimes played for laughs on "The Tonight Show."


Carnac is more of a spoof of mentalists, than magicians, but the two fields are certainly related. Lots of folks think that Carnac was at least somewhat inspired by Milo and Roger.

quote:

I don't think he signed any cards, however.

He signed at least one, which is in my collection.


quote:

It might've been Martin because he did magic in his early days as well. I heard he worked at Disneyland but I think he also worked at Knott's Berry Farm in the 60's.

He talks about doing magic at both in his autobiographical book Born Standing Up, which is a great memoir. If you are a fan at all of Steve Martin, you should get this book. And yes, Martin is a very talented magician.

As far as cards go, Martin is in the Little Shop of Horrors set, Starpics SNL, Donruss Sgt. Peppers, Inkworks Looney Toons, and Leaf Pop Century sets.
 
Posts: 1377 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
One of my more prized autograph cards.

https://photos.google.com/shar...ZUh6QlRPOWNXSW8zN29R
 
Posts: 3187 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Don't forget Penn and Teller -- amazing live, and they have at least one autograph card in a Babylon 5 set.
 
Posts: 4495 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think Carson talked about magic from time to time on the show. I remember hearing about that when I was a kid in the 70's.

Wow, a card signed by Johnny Carson. That's a great find. I was just talking about him with my mom. He always had an interesting mix of guests on the show. There were numerous celebrities but he also liked talking to writers and scientists, and of course he loved comedians. He would bring on singers that were no longer as prominent as they used to be but they were still great talents.

I listened to Steve Martin's comedy albums in the late 70's and early 80's. My dad was an early fan of "Saturday Night Live." My brothers and I used to watch it with him. Besides his great talk show guest spots and SNL appearances, he did some oddball TV specials as well. I think I still have one recorded on VHS somewhere. He always made a splash on Letterman's shows too. And oh yeah, I read "Born Standing Up." I love that book. He gave Carl Reiner an incredible compliment and it wasn't about comedy.

Steve Martin is some kind of a genius. He would be a legend for his stand-up comedy alone. He was playing his banjo on those old comedy albums and now he's an award-winning bluegrass musician and he's a successful playwright and actor. You can't say he's simply gifted. He's very clever in his comedy and writing. I assume people who know more about banjo playing and music in general are saying he's very clever at that as well.

Norm MacDonald's memoir is great too.

Jess





quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
you might already know that Johnny Carson did magic in his early days,

Yeah, I knew. In fact, I sent some material about Johnny being a magician to someone who was supposedly working on a biography of him, but I guess he abandoned the project, since it hasn't come out after several years. But I'm mentioned in David Evanier's biography of Woody Allen, because Woody was also a magician as a teenager, and I sent Evanier an article that Woody wrote and published in a magic magazine.

quote:
which was probably the origin of his "Carnac the Magnificent" character he sometimes played for laughs on "The Tonight Show."


Carnac is more of a spoof of mentalists, than magicians, but the two fields are certainly related. Lots of folks think that Carnac was at least somewhat inspired by Milo and Roger.

quote:

I don't think he signed any cards, however.

He signed at least one, which is in my collection.


quote:

It might've been Martin because he did magic in his early days as well. I heard he worked at Disneyland but I think he also worked at Knott's Berry Farm in the 60's.

He talks about doing magic at both in his autobiographical book Born Standing Up, which is a great memoir. If you are a fan at all of Steve Martin, you should get this book. And yes, Martin is a very talented magician.

As far as cards go, Martin is in the Little Shop of Horrors set, Starpics SNL, Donruss Sgt. Peppers, Inkworks Looney Toons, and Leaf Pop Century sets.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,
 
Posts: 1219 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Anyway, regarding the original topic, I picked up some good stuff last year. My favorite pick-up might be the Ringo Starr All-Starr Band 10 card promo set. I'd heard of it before and there was even a old thread about it here but I hadn't seen it in person. Some great talents got their own card in that set like Joe Walsh, Billy Preston, and Dr. John, who passed away last year.
 
Posts: 1219 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
One of my more prized autograph cards.

https://photos.google.com/shar...ZUh6QlRPOWNXSW8zN29R


Oh, yes, that's a nice card to have.


quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
Don't forget Penn and Teller -- amazing live, and they have at least one autograph card in a Babylon 5 set.


As "Rebo and Zooty". First pack-signed autographed card I ever bought. Other magicians who have signed include Ricky Jay, Harry Anderson, David Blaine and Orson Bean. JJ Abrams has dabbled in magic. All have signed cards.

Does Joel Hodgson of MST3K have any signed cards? He has performed magic at the professional level.
 
Posts: 1377 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
He does, he just signed for RR Parks MST3K series three set.

____________________
"The problem, I'm told, is more than medical."
 
Posts: 5645 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I heard that Steve Martin didn't like to give autographs. Instead he used to hand out a card that said you had met him.
 
Posts: 1219 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Favorite Pick up of 2019?

© Non-Sport Update 2013