Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    OLYMPIC CARDS TOO FAR ON THE MALE NUDITY
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OLYMPIC CARDS TOO FAR ON THE MALE NUDITY
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Chiefbrody....you might want to reign it in a bit. I know you are trying to prove your point but it seems to me that no one here is agreeing with you and this is now getting pretty heated.

I hate to shut threads down and would like to give it the benefit of the doubt....but serious, this has strayed so far from trading card talk (as Lynne pointed out many posts ago). Not really sure what else there is left to say on the topic!

Thanks.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheifbrody:
I know this is off topic but,if someone can give me a VALID ( not a conventional or smart a** comment) i ll except it

its a hot day,a 3 year old boy wakes up and says,''its hot outside,i think i ll go out undressed this morning.
his sister,who is also 3 years old wakes up and says,''it's hot today,but i'm going out fully clothered.

why ?

Why? This is western culture that's why. You'll notice in many African villages and also Australian Aboriginal groups that both men and women walk around topless, that is part of their cultures, but it just isn't that way for western cultures and even other non western cultures.

I have no problem with you being offended with male nudity, my Italian brother in law is offended by Australians whom walk around in barefeet. I think he's silly to think that, but everyone has their own opinions about different things.

The reason why they show so many half naked men in these cards is the swim team is one of the most popular and successful teams in the Olymics. They get a lot of attention and therefore have been included in the cards. This is how the men compete, wearing as little as possible to be as streamlined as they can. The same can also be said for the male divers, they also wear as little as possible.

Why do women not walk around topless? Well for one thing a bra is a woman's best friend, we might complain about them being uncomfortable, but it keeps you in place Smile Secondly, would a woman really be safe walking around without a top on - really?

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of HIM
posted Hide Post
Im not reading every reply to see if this was somewhat said but......

Im going to assume, which I shouldnt do of course, that you bought into this set because you are a fan of the olympics? Based off that assumption that would lead me to believe you are a fan of the games..going a step further being a fan you are well aware of what the male athletes that swim wear and that anytime one wins a gold or breaks a record, those are pretty much the poses they strike when the find that out? Unless you say you knew nothing of the olympic games, what they wear etc...then you can claim ignorance on what the cards have on them. If you are a fan, you should have expected it.

Posts: 2485 | Location: Austin Tx | Registered: December 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't even consider that nudity lol. They are swimmers after all, and there's nothing gratuitous about those images...do swimmers swim in down jackets?

Posts: 153 | Location: Washington | Registered: September 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of DewMan
posted Hide Post
This thread is all a joke, right?

Posts: 712 | Location: Western US | Registered: August 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't bet on it. Big Grin

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eng621
posted Hide Post
After reading the first post I wasn't sure what was more humorous the topic or the mis-spelled words.
It wasn't till I finished reading the thread that I realized that this wasn’t a joke.

Posts: 113 | Location: Yorkville,IL., USA | Registered: April 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of archifou
posted Hide Post
Not a joke but really funny to read. That topic make my day Smile

Posts: 1225 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think collectors should read up on the history of trading cards. Trading cards was first released as tobacco cards. Tobacco cards often depicted men and women in bathing suits and such.

Women, back then were depicted as fully dressed in bathing suits. The men in boxing are always depicted shirtless. If anyone doesn't like a shirtless male on a trading card, they should stop collecting cards. They're basically denying the history of cards.

Posts: 97 | Location: United States | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And the packaging is shirtless too!

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
I honestly thought this was a sarcastic post at first, especially the pictures with the chests all blacked out, I really had to laugh at that one.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Soul-on-Fire
posted Hide Post
This thread is fantastic!

The only thing I want to know now, are the female swimmers in this set shown in swimsuits or tracksuits? If they're not shown in their proper "work" outfit (= swimsuits), I would find it really weird.

Posts: 608 | Location: Germany | Registered: October 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
Ironically, there are two swimmers in the entire set that are pictured wearing their Team USA jackets...Conor Dwyer (M) and Katie Hoff (F)

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
Since when is a man shirtless considered nudity?? Roll Eyes

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always thought the double standards went in the women's favour. When I worked at a bank, in Summer when it was boling hot, the women got to wear whatever they wanted ie shorts, skirts, crop tops and the males had to sweat it out in suits and ties. Not that I was complaining as I wouldn't want to see any of the blokes in crop tops but the expectation was men wore suits, no naked options.

Intersting discussion but a bit off-track.. to get back on track, a good card set for risque art.. check out Dave Nestler..

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I just got some of these cards and i am disgusted. I got various cards of topless male swimmers and i did not get one card of a female swimmer with no top on.

What a swizz. Twak

I demand a refund. Big Grin

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
I just got some of these cards and i am disgusted. I got various cards of topless male swimmers and i did not get one card of a female swimmer with no top on.

What a swizz. Twak

I demand a refund. Big Grin

You need to buy the Penthouse Olympic set Smile

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post