Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WOW...NICE PROFIT.
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted
Having just watched a card that i got for free sell for over £3000 on ebay i was wondering have you ever sat and watched a card you own sell for a large profit over what you got it for and did it make you think about selling yours?

In this case it was the Peter Jackson autograph from LOTR..ROTK update.

.....and no it was not mine.

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
Well, if t was LOTR I'd sell it, otherwise no Wink

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
I bought one box of GOT Season 1 on Ebay and pulled an Emilia Clarke. I’m not selling her. Big Grin, but some I would be tempted too, depends on how attached I am to it.

Posts: 3214 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
No, I wouldn't sell it if I wanted it in the first place, just because it could fetch a good price at this time. However, if other factors were involved, they could certainly affect my decision.

How much money are we talking about? Everyone has a price, even if they won't admit it.

Do you have a personal attachment to the card? If you don't care about it, you're not really losing anything.

Do you have a purpose for the profits now? If you could really use the money and you're not just going to spend it on more junk, that's the number one reason to do it.

You have to consider the whole picture and it would be on an item-by-item basis.

Posts: 10409 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Very much a case of....it depends. I have been a lifelong collector/borderline hoarder of a number of things. I have never been quite as attached to my card collection as I have been to other things. For a while, I even bought cards to sell to finance my collecting. Such is life Smile

I bought several packs of the most recent Perna collection. They were something like $38 each. A couple of the sketch cards I pulled don;t really fit in with my collection and I would happily sell them on...though at a profit Big Grin However, I got an offer of $500 out of the blue for one of the ones I very much wanted to keep. I had to think long and hard about whether to accept the offer as it would have been a useful sum of money at the time. In the end, I have held onto the card as I really do like it.

There are also quite a few Marvel comics in my collections too. It has been interesting to watch how the value of some of those has changed in recent years, particularly those featuring my favourite characters: the X-Men. I picked up a copy of X-men #94 for £1 soon after it came out along with Giant-size X-Men #1 for £5 at around the same time (possibly even the comic mart). If I ever get desparate for cash, either of those could be going up for sale...but I would need to be really in need to seriously consider it Smile

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane:
I bought one box of GOT Season 1 on Ebay and pulled an Emilia Clarke. I’m not selling her. Big Grin, but some I would be tempted too, depends on how attached I am to it.

I also pulled the Season 2 Clarke FB and having that key autograph card, which I really wouldn't have bought on my own, was what spurred me on to collect all GoT signers. If I sold it, I would have to consider selling off all the big names because I know I would become dissatisfied with the hole.

Which is not to say I would never sell it if it got to say, Tom Brady Rookie money, but it would take way more than it's at now. I don't like the idea of building something up for years, only to hand if off to someone else who has done nothing for it, just when it gets good. Razz

Posts: 10409 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Having just watched a card that i got for free sell for over £3000 on ebay i was wondering have you ever sat and watched a card you own sell for a large profit over what you got it for and did it make you think about selling yours?

In this case it was the Peter Jackson autograph from LOTR..ROTK update.

.....and no it was not mine.

Congratulations!

Skyrocketing prices definitely have had me thinking about selling certain cards. . . I just haven't been able to figure out if the time is right, or if I should wait a bit longer.

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post