Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best of 2014 Poll
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
We're running a Best of 2014 poll on the blog:

Non-Sport Update’s Best of 2014: Vote for your 5 favorite non-sport card series of 2014

If you get a chance, please visit the site and choose your five favorites non-sport series from 2014. You can write in comments either on the blog or right on the poll.

Thanks!

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Just a reminder that if you haven't already done so, you still have time to vote in our Best of 2014 poll. This Friday (December 26) is the last day to vote. It only takes a minute and we'd really like to know your favorites.

Once again, here's the link:

NSU Blog - Non-Sport Update Best of 2014: Vote for your 5 favorite non-sport card series of 2014

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
We've posted the winners in the annual poll today:

The Winners Are...

Congratulations to those that got the nod. Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
A couple too many from Cryptozoic on there with four of the slots, as I really do think Panini should had at least one set on there, but the votes are the votes.

Besides that, there were two from Rittenhouse, one from Topps, one from Upper Deck, one from Breygent, and one from Perna Studios, so a nice mix, all in all. Congrats to the winners, and keep them coming!

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Six of the ten products I never saw in person. I only picked Game of Thrones and Bond in my top five. WD should have been counted as one entry. I thought Kringle Kards would have been a strong sketch pick, but I think it came out too late for this poll. No Star Trek, funny?

Posts: 10407 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
The biggest surprise to me was Guardians of the Galaxy getting #2, wasn't expecting that.

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I never saw the Guardians of the Galaxy cards after release and didn't pre-order because autographs weren't in every box. Also Dontown Abbey made #10? Oh well.

Posts: 10407 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I feel a bit sorry for Cult - Stuff, they produced a load of good sets and never even got a mention. Frown

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
While I expected Hobbit to do well - and I voted for it myself purely because it was one of only five sets in 2014 I actually wanted to collect - it isn't a worthy winner. It just wasn't a good product overall (I've collected only the autograph cards and didn't buy a box). Nothing with one hit per box is a good product.

The same goes for Walking Dead Season 3 Part 2 which (it's all in the title) is blatant milking of fans' good will (and wallets). In most other industries such obvious profiteering would not be so rewarded.

Again, while I did vote for Hobbit myself, and have therefore contributed to the problem, I do think it's wrong that collectors are sending the message to manufacturers that these kinds of practices are OK. I guess in a small hobby like trading cards, everyone is just that much more accepting of bad practice for fear of not getting anything at all if they object.

Very surprised Sons of Anarchy didn't make the top 10, and no Star Trek too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ravenheart,

Posts: 795 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I'm happy with this list, my 3 choices (Hallowe'en, Bond and American Horror Story) are all on there.
The small manufacturers such as RR Parks, Cult Stuff etc, have limited runs and many collectors don't get to see their products, that's why I'm glad Perna Studios got a mention.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm also happy with the list. I thought The Hobbit was the best set of the year. What it lacked in wardrobe cards it made up for with a stellar autograph lineup and multiple sketches per case. I also voted Downton Abbey in my Top 5 as I love the show and the set (though the cards have underperformed value-wise). I only wish they got a few more of the top stars to sign for it.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Cool - a couple of my top picks (Hallowe'en and American Horror Story) - made the cut. Big Grin

Was also surprised to see Guardians of the Galaxy made it, though? Well, that's what makes this hobby fun; something for everyone. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dcole,

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One you got past the idea of ponying up of $8 to $10 per pack of "Guardians", they really were fun to open, with a decent hit in every 3rd pack or so, plus the oversized box toppers were nice, too, and most importantly, the movie itself was a big hit with the fans.

I do want to give one last shout-out to Topps for Wacky Packages Old School 5. A lot of love and care has gone into each one of those sets (which basically go back in time to the 1970's to parody products that existed during the original Wacky Packages era). Not only is all-new painted art created for each series which are then issued as stickers on the four different card stocks used on the original issues, but even the packaging shows tremendous attention to detail. About the only thing they're missing is the gum (and the 25 cents per pack price point, haha).

Posts: 3328 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
Nothing with one hit per box is a good product.

Would you rather have 1 good hit or 2 mediocre ones?

Not saying every one-hit box is a home run, but it's tough to cast that generalization.

Posts: 1571 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mind "no hit" boxes for around $25 on many subjects, just like we used to have, but alas, that ship seems to have sailed...

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
quote:
Originally posted by ravenheart:
Nothing with one hit per box is a good product.

Would you rather have 1 good hit or 2 mediocre ones?

Not saying every one-hit box is a home run, but it's tough to cast that generalization.

It's tough to cast any generalizations, but too often the 1 hit box also yields a mediocre hit so, like ravenheart, I would also rather put my money into a 2 or 3 hit box. If nothing else it makes you feel like you have more chances at pulling something good and even 3 minor hits contribute back some value.

The only thing worse than a 1 hit box is the floating hit products where there are dud boxes. If these products sold at $35 - $40 a box it would not be an issue to get a base set and some inserts or parallels only, but they are retail pricing at over twice that now. It's not a matter of hitting a home run, just getting back some value for what you paid.

posted Hide Post
I would rather not deal with 1-hit boxes. Too risky and have the luck to score big.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of mintoncard
posted Hide Post
Recently, I'm only into "all-hit" boxes.

Posts: 858 | Location: Golden Valley, MN | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I never saw the Guardians of the Galaxy cards after release and didn't pre-order because autographs weren't in every box. Also Dontown Abbey made #10? Oh well.

I loved Downton Abbey and voted for it. It was a well made set. The cigarette style cards are fun to work on (still need 50 of the 125). A solid line up of major character autos. a good costume card set. The 126 card base set covered season 1 and 2 really well. Glad it made the cut.

Posts: 5777 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I loved Downton Abbey and voted for it. It was a well made set. The cigarette style cards are fun to work on (still need 50 of the 125). A solid line up of major character autos. a good costume card set. The 126 card base set covered season 1 and 2 really well. Glad it made the cut.

As you can see I'm not a fan since I misspelled the title so badly, but there was nothing special about the set to me. I did get one box, which did not provide the larger base set. I got an autograph of a maid, can't remember the actress right now, and a swatch from one of the daughters. No sketch. Bad decision on my part.

When the top ten leaves off titles like Sons of Anarchy, Castle, Once Upon A Time, Star Trek Aliens and Kringle Kards you can find fault with Downton Abbey getting a slot. Wink