Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Maybe Disney will now corner the card market???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maybe Disney will now corner the card market???
 Login/Join

posted
With Disney owning Star Wars,Marvel and all other sorts of cool movies and shows plus the massive history of these companies.maybe Disney given enough time will create a company run by themselves to promote new movies and shows by making cards??think it would work well for retail only cards but the Hobby collectors will suffer??Disney will want to get their $ back by looking at all revenue streams.cards are a good place to start.i always thought cards are a great way to promote a movie or characters!!why let another company make $ when u own it and you can make it yourself?cutting the middle man out(rittenhouse,topps,u.d.etc)

At the end of the day!kids love busting packs and looking at cards

Just a thought!! Twak

Posts: 174 | Location: Liverpool | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
This is a valid point to raise.

Yes, Disney has already shown they can make very profitable/sellable cards when they team up with Morrisons supermarket.

Sadly I fear a drastic reduction in quality if Disney start selling card sets for the latest movie aimed at kids who want a few cards of their favourite characters plus a few hologram or shiny foil cards.

Upper Deck did great with their Disney series as have many other manufacturers who take on Disney film.

If Disney decide to make a set to accompany the new Star Wars 7 movie I'm doubtful of the quality it will have or lack...

I'm not convinced Disney will go out of their way to make it a 'best selling' release for the hobby market. Particuarly here in the UK they will want packets they can sell for less than 99p not boxes that retail for £50+ or individual packs for £2.99+ Shake Head

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I've seen of Disney collectables the hobby card market will suffer. They tend to over-produce stuff to make available world-wide. Also, very limited items are usually available to D23 members first which requires an annual fee and usually sell-out before going to the general public. Disney has their own distribution network and so may cut out the middle men (current card distributors).

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dstrohmeng
posted Hide Post
What was the last Disney set? I'm guessing it was a Disney Channel title. I would have loved a set for Frankenweenie or Wreck-It Ralph. All we seem to get are the promotional sets, like was done for Frankenweenie, or the projectionist sets.

Posts: 380 | Location: Buffalo | Registered: February 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
I seriously doubt that Trading Cards are on Disney's radar at all.

Plus, why not get a hefty licensing fee and have to do nothing but approve the product as opposed to having to have a complete company to do cards.

Most card companies are either niche market (Rittenhouse, Breygent) that cater to the hobby end or also produce sports cards to be able to make cards in enough volume to balance the costs.

If they were to do such a thing, I would expect they would just purchase a card company, why start from the ground up?

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I expect that LucasArts will operate mostly independently, much like LucasArts was run before. Disney owns Marvel, and we certainly see card sets there for comics and movies. They don't run ESPN like they run theme parks.

I think "internationality" is one reason Disney isn't big on trading cards for its traditional properties. One part is language, and you see more album-sticker sets, like the recent one for "Brave." The international Retail sticker market probably dwarfs the English-language Hobby card market. A second part is timing, because new movies premiere at widely different times around the world.

John had a couple of good points. A couple more might be that Disney is very protective of its depictions for animation, so I can't see them sponsoring sketch cards. Animation projects leave less room for memorabilia and autographs, so some of the premium-chase attraction for modern Hobby sets goes away.

There have been sets for TV or movie adaptations for Hannah Montana and High School Musical, so you can see a split in what they think of for "cards" vs. "stickers" vs. "none." I'm hoping to see a card set for the new "Zombies and Cheerleaders" TV series, and then we will go full circle from cards to media and back again!

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post