Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Breaking the gold seal devalues the card by 25%
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breaking the gold seal devalues the card by 25%
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
These gold seals, that I had no idea made such a big difference to a lot of people, are probably on some large roll, lying in the corner of a warehouse, waiting to be peeled off and put on the toploader that holds a card. Who knows how many seals there are or how well the inventory of seals is secured or tracked? Who knows what happened to the left over seals that Razor was using?

And while we are at it, who ever started calling non-sport cards uncirculated? Cards have condition types and they have recorded grades if you want to pay for it, but untouched by human hands is not one of them.

Consider that this sealed toploader may contain a card that is in fact not mint. Perhaps it has a slight crease that is hard to see or a soft corner or a dinged edge hidden because the card is not taken out for inspection. The gold seals do not do anything to guarantee the mint condition of the card. Nor does it guarantee the authencity of the card when we now know that there are cards in sealed toploaders that were never manufactured that way. And of course there is still the manufacturer's warning that the cards may not be archival safe if left in the original sealed top loader.

I accept the fact that many things in this hobby don't make a whole lot of sense, but we are collecting cards, not made up gold seals.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I accept the fact that many things in this hobby don't make a whole lot of sense, but we are collecting cards, not made up gold seals.

This is how I feel. And unfortunately a seal doesn't really guarantee anything these days, if someone wants to make fakes they will find a way to copy it.
And aren't most of the truly expensive cards that we want to know are authentic, pulled from packs and not incentive cards anyway?

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I can accept this. However, I'd like to clearly state that we are collecting cards "with" gold seals. And not collecting gold seals sans cards...

Posts: 283 | Location: San Jose, USA | Registered: September 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post