Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    has anyone ever put together a complete collection of sealed boxes by one company?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

has anyone ever put together a complete collection of sealed boxes by one company?
 Login/Join

posted
I would love one of every sealed box of Rittenhouse Archives products ever made.
Starting from the very 1st to the latest release.i know it would be a massive task to put this together but im really thinking about doing it.

Just wondered if anyone has done anything like this before?? Metal

Posts: 174 | Location: Liverpool | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Haha...the boxes would never stay sealed long enough for me to come close to being able to do something like this.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never would have occured to me...

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I've never quite understood why someone would want to keep a modern box of cards sealed, there is too much in it.

When a box used to contain just base cards i could see someone putting together a set and having a sealed box, there was no point in opening it as you knew what was inside.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
I have two master set clients who get sealed boxes of their trek product as part of their order, but that didn't include the premium product. THugh, one of them WANTED to, but I got allocated and took it away from him Wink It was for his own good, I mean an unopened premium box sitting there woulda given him nightmares Wink

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
I know a couple of Harry Potter collectors who keep a sealed box from each set. Since Artbox didn't release much else besides HP, that might come close to being a master set of Artbox sealed boxes. Smile

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
From Rittenhouse Archives, I would imagine it would be very hard to find a sealed box of Twilight Zone series 4 as it had the lowest print run of any of the TZ sets and included some of the best autograph cards in the entire series, including 5 cut Rod Serling signature cards. I'm sure there are others that would be tough to find, too, I'm thinking certain Stargate TV show sets and the earliest Marvel Comics related sets they did (Complete Avengers, Women of Marvel, etc.)

One thing in your favor is that, to my knowledge, there has never been a redemption card in a box of Rittenhouse cards, so as has been the case with companies who have used those (Artbox, Inkworks, etc.), there was never some mad rush to open as many boxes of a given product as possible before the expiration date had passed since there isn't one, and that means there might be more sealed boxes out Rittenhouse boxes to be had as a result.

Nevertheless, it'd be tough to accomplish, but good luck if you decide to attempt it. It would make a great picture to post!

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but I don't see the point behind this idea. You can hold sealed boxes if you like, but I would call it stock, not a collection.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
To me, a sealed box is part of the complete set. Here is a small part of my 'stock':

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't call it stock, I'd still call it a collection. Nice collection cardaddict! Thumb Up

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
To me, a sealed box is part of the complete set. Here is a small part of my 'stock':

Wow.impressive.you must have nerves of steel to not open them??cracking collection.those Twilight Zone ones are a massive gap in my collection.well done on a fantastic collection

Posts: 174 | Location: Liverpool | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
A picture's worth a thousand words, and what a speech that one makes!

Still, those later Skybox boxes (1996-1998) probably should be opened since the cards are gradually sticking together in the packs due to the unstable UV coating they used on both sides of the base cards. Ultimately, they'll all be ruined if left in the packs. What happens is the front of one card adheres to back of the next until each pack holds a little brick of cards that when pried apart, even carefully, leave bits of one card on the next.

Fortunately though, the autograph cards have a flat surface and won't stick to the other cards.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Simpsoncardman has fantastic will power to hold on to so many great boxes and not open them. I knew when I voiced my opinion that few people would like the word "stock" as opposed to collection. That's OK, we all set our own guidelines, but I still feel that while a sealed box may be part of a master set, sealed boxes alone are not a card collection.

The main reason I say this is because card boxes, unlike an unopened toy/model box, do not all contain the same item. The product is the same, but inserts, subsets, premium hits, short printed cards, sketches, autographs, props, press plates, etc. are all different from box to box. By keeping them sealed you ensure that no one knows what's inside, so if you want to sell one later on you can price it like it might have that super premium card everyone is now looking for. It probably doesn't, but it's a possibility as long as it remains unopened. Wink That makes it stock. Beside the box, you don't have any cards to display.

Another reason I call it stock is because if there are any redemptions or winner cards in the boxes and they don't get open before expiration they can't be sent in. Those cards might look good in your collection if you had them. Big Grin

And then there is the issue expressed in the last post that some cards may be deteriorating or sticking to each other in the packs because of keeping them in sealed boxes. Collectors are always worried about the proper way to store their cards, leaving them in the pack has its problems too.

I'm not try to get anyone to agree with me, just explaining why a collection of sealed boxes is not for me. Smile

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Clarification - those boxes are mine (all mine, I tell you!) not Simpsonscardman's.

Anyway, I agree with everything everyone says, but I'm still not gonna' open them, so there!

Here's a shelf I built in my closet to hold sealed boxes. They are two or three deep so what you see is approximately a third of what's in there:

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Clarification - those boxes are mine (all mine, I tell you!) not Simpsonscardman's.

Anyway, I agree with everything everyone says, but I'm still not gonna' open them, so there!

Here's a shelf I built in my closet to hold sealed boxes. They are two or three deep so what you see is approximately a third of what's in there:

Have you every release from Rittenhouse??

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Kudos to all of you that can do this. I can barely keep a box sealed long enought for my son to get home from school so we can open it together! On to the question though. I could not keep boxes sealed so this is an aspect of the hobby that would not interest me but if I would start on doing this, I would select a newer company and go from there. Cyrptozic has less then a dozen boxes out ther. Brygent maybe 2 dozen. Rittenhouse would be a tough one to find some of the rarer boxes. The origianl oversized star trek in Motion comes to mine which was one of theri first sets.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
That is an amazing collection you have there Cardaddict! And I can understand not wanting to open them, once you have a master set, what's the point of opening another box? Apart from the fun of cracking one open that is. Smile
My biggest problem is space, I don't have enough of it to collect what I would like to Twak .

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I do not have every Rittenhouse box by a long shot! Wish I did. But I do have these:

posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not have every Rittenhouse box by a long shot! Wish I did. But I do have these:

I dont think your too far away to getting there?I take it,those 2 are your faves???

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
I DID consider doing this Inkworks but

(1) Some boxes are too difficult to find (Buffy Season 1 anyon?)

(2) Some are over priced (£70/Box - Angel Season 2)

(3) I don't trust myself to be able to keep them sealed FOREVER?! Eek

Awesome collects I've seen though - Impressive.

Good luck to all the collectors who have a stronger will than I.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post