Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tower Cards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Does anyone remember Tower Cards, a small company that did non-sports in 1994, focusing on cards that commemorated U.S. stamps ? The company was in Florida, I believe.

They did historical subjects such as Christopher Columbus, the moon walk, etc. They produced at least 8 different promo cards, #ed USS1-USS8, I believe. Unfortunately, I've never been able to find the promos. Frown

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Does anyone remember Tower Cards(

No but I sure would like to! Can you come up with set names, set No's and any set composition notes? By the dates you have given it falls right into my collecting period.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I will ask a friend of mine to post scans of promos USS1 and USS2. The sets are listed in NSU

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post

Posts: 943 | Location: Jesup, GA 31546 | Registered: March 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgf351
posted Hide Post
Never saw these before but I like the look of them.

Check out my blog at Card Crazy

Posts: 111 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Apparently the promos go up to at least USS8. I have been searching for them since 1994, with no success. These are some of the few 1990s promos that are still on my want list !

2 or 3 years ago, I found the mailing address of the company in FL and wrote to them, but the letter was returned as undeliverable. Perhaps the owner is long since deceased, as there is an article on the internet about him and his company, and it says that back in 1994 he was 79 years old...

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apparently the promos go up to at least USS8. I have been searching for them since 1994, with no success. These are some of the few 1990s promos that are still on my want list !

2 or 3 years ago, I found the mailing address of the company in FL and wrote to them, but the letter was returned as undeliverable. Perhaps the owner is long since deceased, as there is an article on the internet about him and his company, and it says that back in 1994 he was 79 years old...

I actually tracked down one of the employees 4 or 5 years ago, now living in California. They don't remember the cards and could not help me.

I don't know if he will post images??? but promoking has some of these maybe even all of them, I know I've seen them before, don't know if he emailed me or posted them somewhere.

Posts: 943 | Location: Jesup, GA 31546 | Registered: March 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
That Moon Landing promo would fit in nicely with my Panini Century Astronaut cards.

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
Image of USS3

This message has been edited. Last edited by: John Oder,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Incredible ! I wish that I could find these. I've been searching since 1994, with no luck whatsoever... Never seen them at any shows, or on ebay, or for sale anywhere.

posted Hide Post
David, is it possible for you to email me in regards to a Smallville question? cujobyte29@aol.com I havent' been able to find your email here, sorry!

Posts: 90 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Email is mistermycroft@msn.com

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have one of the Tower regular sets, "Christopher Columbus Quincentennial Collection." It's a factory set numbered out of 24 sets per box with a "box" meaning a case and there is said to have been a run of 1992 boxes. That means there's over 47,000 factory sets though I've seen only a few for sale.

The set contains 32 cards with a title being card #1. It has a checklist on the back. The rest of the set has photos of stamps on the fronts relating to the explorer. The backs have background info and a space to affix the stamp shown on the front. Card #2 shows a group of stamps that have differently cropped views of the same artwork.

There's also an unnumbered card that is sort of a promo for stamp collecting but is more of an information card to define stamp classifications. The set I have was factory sealed when I got it but the gloss had already started to chip off the front of the unnumbered card.

Lastly, there's a little fold-out made of glossy paper that promotes the company plus a thin-stock mail-in card/certificate for a special gold foil card otherwise available in 1 per 12 factory sets.

I had seen a set on Ebay and decided to see if one of those promos was randomly inserted in it. Oh well.

quote:
Originally posted by btlfa
quote:
Does anyone remember Tower Cards(

No but I sure would like to! Can you come up with set names, set No's and any set composition notes? By the dates you have given it falls right into my collecting period.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Nice find, Jess !

I have a scan of a sell sheet from circa 1993-94 that someone on Card Talk sent me maybe 5-6 years ago. I just have the scan, not the sheet itself.

According to the sheet, back in 1993 or so, Tower had an offer where if you sent a SASE to its address in Florida, they'd send you a bunch of promo cards for their sets. Quite interesting ! I wonder what promos folks received 25 years ago ?

The Card Talk member who sent me the scan, told me that he, too, tried to track down a relative of the gentleman who ran Tower in the 1990s, but that the son or nephew had no info on what happened to the cards.

If someone can help me post the scan, maybe we can show it here.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
David R has asked me to post the following three images:-

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

regards

John

Edited to add a third image

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JOHN LEVITT,

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi David,

Yeah, on the box it says "Special Bonus Philately card included" and I thought that could mean it was one of those USS1-USS8" promos or a prototype for one of the sets or something like that so I took a shot at it. I have collected history/science sets in the past so it is a nice addition to my collection.

Jess

quote:
Nice find, Jess !

I have a scan of a sell sheet from circa 1993-94 that someone on Card Talk sent me maybe 5-6 years ago. I just have the scan, not the sheet itself.

According to the sheet, back in 1993 or so, Tower had an offer where if you sent a SASE to its address in Florida, they'd send you a bunch of promo cards for their sets. Quite interesting ! I wonder what promos folks received 25 years ago ?

The Card Talk member who sent me the scan, told me that he, too, tried to track down a relative of the gentleman who ran Tower in the 1990s, but that the son or nephew had no info on what happened to the cards.

If someone can help me post the scan, maybe we can show it here.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting those images, John.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
David R has asked me to post the following three images:-

regards

John

Edited to add a third image

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Notice the offer towards the bottom of the third scan, where you could send in $ 2. to get sneak preview, promo cards.

And the other offer on the sheet, a complete promotional set of 8 cards

Wonder what Tower sent to people ? We will never know...

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you have to wonder how many people sent away for the cards (how many still have them?) and if there was some leftover quantity somewhere. For some reason I always thought the company was based in Massachusetts or that area. Some of those factory sets and perhaps some promos might have surfaced at a Florida flea market or something like that. It appears quite a number of cards were produced for such a small company and at least a few individuals have made an effort to learn more about what happened to it.

quote:
Notice the offer towards the bottom of the third scan, where you could send in $ 2. to get sneak preview, promo cards.

And the other offer on the sheet, a complete promotional set of 8 cards

Wonder what Tower sent to people ? We will never know...

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Did you notice in the first ad, it references a promo for a Space set, in addition to Columbus ?

I have never seen a Space promo by Tower