Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Mickey Mantle sells for record amount.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mickey Mantle sells for record amount.
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted
A Mickey Mantle rookie card graded at 9.5 has sold for a world record $12.6 million dollars. Eek

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So as this has come up before with the Mickey Mantle cards, the one that just broke the record is his 1952 TOPPS #311 card. This has long been recognized as his most desired card. The one that went for 12.6M is a graded mint condition 9.5, which according to them is the finest example of the card ever up for auction.

However the true Mickey Mantle rookie card is his 1951 Bowman #253. It's a horizontal design with a drawing look and people much prefer the iconic TOPPS card, which was a better brand name also. The Bowman in graded condition has hit at least 1.4M million in the past.

There are actually a pretty good number of both these cards still in existence and the price ranges are very wide. The issue is condition, as there are way more copies in bad shape than good shape.

This is exactly what you would expect from vintage cards that were not seen as valuable collectibles when they were mass produced. Because the Mantle was in the high number series, it didn't have quite as much production as the lower numbers, but there were plenty of them anyway.

Every big sports card collector I ever knew wanted a high grade, early Mantle card. It's just a matter of status for them and these Mantle cards will continue to rise in value, even in lower condition, because the demand will not diminish.

Posts: 10408 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Well whichever one is the correct rookie card this one just went for more money than any card has sold for ever and thats good enough for me. Big Grin

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I read that the guy bought it in 1991 for $ 50,000 and he kept it in a book in his closet for 30 years, knowing it would be very valuable

When he paid 50 K for it, they thought he was crazy

Posts: 4008 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have a baseball card price guide from 1982 that values the 1952 Topps Mantle at $1000-1550. I don't know what the value range was when the guy bought it in 1991. It appears he overpaid at the time but then he did go for the best quality one he could find and it might be the best out there. People will pay for THE best one, and if the 1991 sale was at a documented auction, that card is building a history (art collectors call it "provenance") which could add to its value as if it needed added value.

Posts: 4394 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
I read that the guy bought it in 1991 for $ 50,000 and he kept it in a book in his closet for 30 years, knowing it would be very valuable

When he paid 50 K for it, they thought he was crazy

Isn't this the guy that started the card bubble of the 90's?? Don't we hate him??

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In 1980, I bought a copy of Hulk issue # 181 from 1974, the first full appearance of Wolverine, for $15.00. People thought I was nuts back then

See what it is worth on ebay now

Posts: 4008 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
In 1980, I bought a copy of Hulk issue # 181 from 1974, the first full appearance of Wolverine, for $15.00. People thought I was nuts back then

That one I can relate to Smile I made the mistake of not buying a copy of X-Men #1 for £12 back in 1975 but picked up Giant-size X-men #1 at the next show for £5 soon after it was released. I picked up X-Men #94 at the same show for £1. They are probably the two most valuable comics in my collection today Big Grin

BTW, great pickup on that copy of Hulk #181 Smile

Posts: 1530 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
quote:

That one I can relate to Smile I made the mistake of not buying a copy of X-Men #1 for £12 back in 1975 but picked up Giant-size X-men #1 at the next show for £5 soon after it was released. I picked up X-Men #94 at the same show for £1. They are probably the two most valuable comics in my collection today Big Grin

BTW, great pickup on that copy of Hulk #181 Smile

More recently a girl I dated back around 2010 picked me up a low grade (3.5) Spiderman 129 for $80 as a gift. I remember thinking she paid too much but I was happy to have it. Since then I had both Stan Lee and Jon Bernthal sign it and I got it slabbed.

Saw one without a cover recently sell for $325

Posts: 4858 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post