Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Too many variants???
 Login/Join

Picture of MARKPERRY2000
posted
Just wanted to get people's thoughts on the numerous variant sets Topps is putting out in regards to Star Wars sets.

Question:
Are there too many variants sets being released for the various Star Wars sets? (Blue,Black,Red, Star field,etc)

Choices:
Yes, way too many.
Yes, but I want them all. Take my money.
No, I'll just pick and choose the set(s) to collect.
It doesn't matter either way.

Posts: 43 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: November 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't stand the variants! Chasing after cards that are essentially the same but with a different foil color on it just feels really pointless to me personally.

Posts: 153 | Location: Washington | Registered: September 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If you look at the 3 sets of cards issued by Topps for Dr Who you will also see the same image used in more than one set

regards

John Levitt

Posts: 2121 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Just for the record, and maybe I'm getting confused by your terminology here, are you talking about variants or parallel cards?

I know that some of the Star Wars cards have different colors and the Tek set have different background patterns, all with the same images. I would call that parallel cards.

To me variants means that there is something intentionally or unintentionally different about the same card. For example a patch card might have a yellow swatch, but the variant is a green one. The parallel is the same card in a different color, or with foil, or numbered, or something along those lines.

I don't really recall a whole set ever being referred to as a variant. However maybe that's a new one now since stuff keeps changing.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Same with Walking dead, it's a big pain.

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MARKPERRY2000
posted Hide Post
You are correct and I stand corrected, I meant to say parallels.

Posts: 43 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: November 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I don't do Star Wars cards, only because I can't afford all those sets, but the parallels released by other companies, mainly Rittenhouse, have all but brought my card collecting to a grinding halt.

Posts: 2509 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think there are way too many and just don't understand the appeal of parallels Confused . The card image is the same, just a different colour and artificially limited by a number stamped on it.

However reading other forums and from selling them myself it is clear some collectors love them and pay what I would consider crazy prices for them. So long as I can sell mine to fund buying other cards I don't mind them Big Grin .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post