Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Too many variants???

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/954605353/m/2957086486

November 24, 2016, 09:19 PM
MARKPERRY2000
Too many variants???
Just wanted to get people's thoughts on the numerous variant sets Topps is putting out in regards to Star Wars sets.Are there too many variants sets being released for the various Star Wars sets? (Blue,Black,Red, Star field,etc)Yes, way too many.Yes, but I want them all. Take my money.No, I'll just pick and choose the set(s) to collect.It doesn't matter either way.

November 30, 2016, 07:00 PM
ecl
Can't stand the variants! Chasing after cards that are essentially the same but with a different foil color on it just feels really pointless to me personally.
December 01, 2016, 06:38 AM
JOHN LEVITT
If you look at the 3 sets of cards issued by Topps for Dr Who you will also see the same image used in more than one set

regards

John Levitt

December 01, 2016, 09:22 AM
Raven
Just for the record, and maybe I'm getting confused by your terminology here, are you talking about variants or parallel cards?

I know that some of the Star Wars cards have different colors and the Tek set have different background patterns, all with the same images. I would call that parallel cards.

To me variants means that there is something intentionally or unintentionally different about the same card. For example a patch card might have a yellow swatch, but the variant is a green one. The parallel is the same card in a different color, or with foil, or numbered, or something along those lines.

I don't really recall a whole set ever being referred to as a variant. However maybe that's a new one now since stuff keeps changing.
December 09, 2016, 12:45 AM
cheifbrody
Same with Walking dead, it's a big pain.
December 17, 2016, 04:46 PM
MARKPERRY2000
You are correct and I stand corrected, I meant to say parallels.

December 17, 2016, 07:24 PM
cardaddict
I don't do Star Wars cards, only because I can't afford all those sets, but the parallels released by other companies, mainly Rittenhouse, have all but brought my card collecting to a grinding halt.
December 18, 2016, 03:29 AM
Triple-Frog
I think there are way too many and just don't understand the appeal of parallels Confused . The card image is the same, just a different colour and artificially limited by a number stamped on it.

However reading other forums and from selling them myself it is clear some collectors love them and pay what I would consider crazy prices for them. So long as I can sell mine to fund buying other cards I don't mind them Big Grin .