Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    What Autograph Cards do you collect?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Autograph Cards do you collect?
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
That Lucas is a cut signature, probably taken from a letter to Topps, as I recall them doing with a Lucas Star Wars autograph.

That's not to say if he was signing stickers or even an actual card that the signature would be any more legible, but at the end of the day, it's almost certainly as good as any other will ever be.

I think it's a sticker, they just framed the card around it nicely. Wish they'd take this kind of care with sticker autos, they look so much nicer than just slapping the sticker on top.

Lucas' signature has never really been very exciting.

Back to the topic at hand, I just collect autos I like. I have a few themes, but overall I'll grab any auto that interests me.

Posts: 1571 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
none.

I collect cards. Not autographs. I have never collected autographs.

Posts: 559 | Location: AZ | Registered: December 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian T:
I have just started collecting autograph cards. So far I have been buying random cards of actors that I admire but I am interested in finding out what other members collect.
a) Do you just collect autograph cards that you like?
b) Do you collect to a theme ? e.g. Bond, Star Wars, Walking Dead etc. If so, do you purchase every autograph card?
c) Do you collect a favourite actor?
d) Do you collect by card manufacturer?
e) Do you collect EVERYTHING!

a) Yes, only cards I like. Used to be a completest but gave that up a long time ago because it wasn't fun. Leaves more money for the cards you do really want.

b) I have focus areas... mainly Bond, and some X-Files, Star Trek, Star Wars, but will also pick up autos from random TV shows/films I like but will only go after the actors/characters I actually want. For example I only have one LOTR card which is a Sean Bean Boromir auto. Andrew Lincoln is my only Walking Dead auto even though I LOVE the show. I only have one DC/Batman auto (Michael Caine). I like the freedom of picking up singles this way - my collection is broad but not diluted by needless filler.

c) I will buy multiple autos from an actor if I really like them as an actor in general, or in a certain role/show, but the card image and signature has to look good, and the price has to be right! I also won't buy an autograph of an actor I like if I don't like the licence.

d) Don't care what manufacturer makes the card althogh RA is the manufacturer I have the most cards from. I also prefer on-card signatures which means I will naturally gravitate towards manufacturers who still make them the good old fashioned way!

As an aside, I also really like to collect in-person autographs on base/chase/promo cards that I think would look nice and fit into my collecting interests. Many of these cards I enjoy far more than any 'official' pack-inserted card. I have met many actors from Star Wars, Trek, Aliens, and Doctor Who and the memories attached to these items is what makes them that bit more special to me, although arguably worthless to nearly everyone else.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cardboard Zombie:
This is an excellent topic. I've been lurking here for about a year now and this is my first post.

To me, it's mostly about the autograph itself. How much effort does the star put into his/her sig? I really hate when the card has a fabulous image but the star puts absolutely zero effort into the sig. For example, Daniel Craig's auto is a complete disgrace. Chris Hemsworth, Robert Downey Jr, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Jennifer Garner, just to name a few, all need to work on their sigs. My non-sports collection would be much bigger if more stars had cooler looking sigs.

If the card has a top notch sig with a great image, even better. If it's extremely limited, that's another bonus. When a card comes together and checks all the boxes, I just pounce on it. For example, when I first discovered the 2011 James Bond Mission Logs Pierce Brosnan, I just hit the "Buy it Now". No time to negotiate. I need that card.

Another card that jumps off the page is the 1999 Wild Wild West Salma Hayek. That image plus the signature plus the rarity of the card makes it a must have. I'll pay huge money for this card (especially the PSA 10).

Honorable mentions: 2007 Topps Megan Fox and 2002 Topps Jessica Alba.

Best sigs I've seen so far: Pierce Brosnan, Salma Hayek, Jackie Chan, Shannon Elizabeth. I've focused on their cards.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone else collects.

Thanks so much.

Welcome to Card Talk. I agree that the signature makes the piece, that is the point afterall. Michelle Yeoh's older autograph is one that stands out in my mind as a very nice looking signature, and Carrie Fisher has always had a very nice looking autograph that never seemed to deteriorate.

I don't mind admitting I am very fussy where signatures are concerned. For autographed trading cards, where there are usually numerous examples available, I will happily wait it out to get what I perceive to be a nice example of a signature.

My full-bleed Mission Logs/GoldenEye Brosnan is my favourite autograph card and I made a beeline for a nice example of his signature which he varies a lot. I paid a bit over the odds to upgrade from a sloppier example but I felt it was worth it. I would love to see the signature you have on yours.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
Originally posted by Cardboard Zombie:
This is an excellent topic. I've been lurking here for about a year now and this is my first post.

To me, it's mostly about the autograph itself. How much effort does the star put into his/her sig? I really hate when the card has a fabulous image but the star puts absolutely zero effort into the sig. For example, Daniel Craig's auto is a complete disgrace. Chris Hemsworth, Robert Downey Jr, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Jennifer Garner, just to name a few, all need to work on their sigs. My non-sports collection would be much bigger if more stars had cooler looking sigs.

If the card has a top notch sig with a great image, even better. If it's extremely limited, that's another bonus. When a card comes together and checks all the boxes, I just pounce on it. For example, when I first discovered the 2011 James Bond Mission Logs Pierce Brosnan, I just hit the "Buy it Now". No time to negotiate. I need that card.

Another card that jumps off the page is the 1999 Wild Wild West Salma Hayek. That image plus the signature plus the rarity of the card makes it a must have. I'll pay huge money for this card (especially the PSA 10).

Honorable mentions: 2007 Topps Megan Fox and 2002 Topps Jessica Alba.

Best sigs I've seen so far: Pierce Brosnan, Salma Hayek, Jackie Chan, Shannon Elizabeth. I've focused on their cards.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone else collects.

Thanks so much.

Welcome to Card Talk. I agree that the signature makes the piece, that is the point afterall. Michelle Yeoh's older autograph is one that stands out in my mind as a very nice looking signature, and Carrie Fisher has always had a very nice looking autograph that never seemed to deteriorate.

I don't mind admitting I am very fussy where signatures are concerned. For autographed trading cards, where there are usually numerous examples available, I will happily wait it out to get what I perceive to be a nice example of a signature.

My full-bleed Mission Logs/GoldenEye Brosnan is my favourite autograph card and I made a beeline for a nice example of his signature which he varies a lot. I paid a bit over the odds to upgrade from a sloppier example but I felt it was worth it. I would love to see the signature you have on yours.

Thanks very much, X.

I believe you have the correct approach to this hobby. I wish mine were as nice as your Pierce Brosnan Mission Logs. I firmly believe you have the top example since I very much doubt the one used for the set Promo even exists. I agree that Michelle Yeoh and Carrie Fisher have some terrific sigs as well. I've noticed the Bond and Star Trek sets both have a number of very elegant autos. It's not a bad place to begin a non-sports collection.

X, I'll post some pics tonight. It's too sunny here. My cards are like vampires. No sunlight allowed. Smile

Posts: 8 | Location: Potomac, MD | Registered: April 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The most elegant autograph I know belongs to Veronica Cartwright. I always go out of my way to pick up her signatures under about 4 different titles. She was a well known child star in the Twilight Zone days and is still a working actress. The other woman in Alien. Smile

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post