Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preacher by TOPPS
 Login/Join

Picture of pendragon
posted
Does anyone know if Topps is continuing the Preacher series?

Posts: 429 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: January 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Considering Season 3 is well underway and there's nothing new about them on the Topps website, I'm going to go ahead and say no. Understandable, as they weren't even able sell 70 sets of the season finale set from last year (earlier weeks were also poor sellers), so it's probably not worth the effort for them to make them.

Posts: 3319 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So I'm wondering about what the consensus is for these poor selling TOPPS Now sets like Preacher and Solo.

On the one hand, you have sets that are really limited and are on titles that may never come back again. Solo had its general release, but probably not going to see someone do Preacher.

On the other hand, there was no demand while the titles were fresh or the production would have been greater, so why should there be any more demand as they fade away?

I just think it proves that demand always trumps supply, no matter what. What does limited production matter if no one wants it enough to bid it up?

This is the same reasoning that keeps those stamped 1/1/s, 1/5s. 1/10s and 1/25s autograph cards of average signers at nearly the same price as their unnumbered versions. If card collectors don't care, they have become smart enough not to fall for the "it's so rare it must be valuable" line. Wink

Posts: 10387 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Right, with Preacher and Solo it's hard to be "rare" aka "valuable", regardless of the number produced, if no one wants them, haha. (I say that having both Preacher sets, the Solo set, and both Countdown sets. I am a sucker.)

The Preacher Season 2 set (which had Topps Now Major League Soccer super short print numbers, as in two digits) actually has accrued in value beyond the purchase price. I think the value of both sets is diminished by the fact there is no Season 3 set, though, but also because the series hasn't really distinguished itself yet (but still could, I think). There's a lot of competition for viewers!

Posts: 3319 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post