Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Do you keep or throw out the wrappers?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you keep or throw out the wrappers?
 Login/Join

posted
Is there a point in keeping the wrappers around? In my previous sets I have always thrown away the wrappers as they usually get torn up anyway. But recently a few sets I bought online came with a wrapper included. Of course these are torn too, so it got me thinking.

If I really want to keep the wrapper, I may as well keep an un-opened pack. After all how would I even keep the wrapper protected? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Posts: 97 | Location: United States | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I myself try to keep an unopened pack and a wrapper from each series I collect. If a wrapper has different designs, I will save one of each design (along with a pack of each design). For displaying, I use a 4 pocket card page. I find these work well though they are difficult to track down at times. For rack pack wrappers, I use a single pocket page.
And as a side note, I also keep an empty display box from each set I collect as well.

Posts: 106 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hedgehog Witch
posted Hide Post
I tend to keep one or two wrappers and I also keep an empty display box, which can usually be flattened down nicely, fit into a pocket page and go into the binder.

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I don't know why, but I keep ALL my wrappers. They are stored up in the attic inside the opened boxes they came in. I think it's because if I had did this when I was a kid I'd be rich right now. (or else have a bunch of old wrappers from Batman, Hogan's Heroes, Get Smart and all those other cards I lost or threw away)

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Some of those wrappers have reward points, so don't throw them out if they are worth sending in. Thumb Up

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I don't save wrappers. I send in my Rittenhouse wrappers and trash the rest. I used to save empty boxes, wrappers but they took up too much space.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doc Floyd
posted Hide Post
Found out over the years that it really does add up. Some things just have to be let go, even if it is something I'd like to keep.

Posts: 147 | Location: NC | Registered: October 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
I keep the empty box and one wrapper from each set. The rest go in the trash.

Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
New Card Talk Member
Picture of PEZman
posted Hide Post
I trim one of the wrappers to put in the binder.

Posts: 7 | Location: Leominster, MA | Registered: April 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Some people are wrapper collectors and are just about as rabid over gaining one of each set as they are the card set itself. Typically of course I have to be one of those people.

Condition of course is absolutely everything and I can go through a dozen or so packs just trying to end up with a perfect wrapper. Some of the more difficult wrappers were Lime Rock and early Marvel as they are made of heat-sealed plastic and are notoriously difficult to get apart in one piece.

Value wise it would appear that you have to go back to wax wrappers before they start to show any value (Monkees and Beatles hold some seriously high prices.)

Boxes are much more problematical as space becomes a premium. In the end I did the unthinkable and just cut the front panel off the boxes. I still don't know what to do with them and now I have a pile of over 400 (sigh)

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
I try to always storage up 2-5 wrappers in best condition.

Also I take pictures of the box and wrappers to never forget.

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kane1:

Also I take pictures of the box and wrappers to never forget.

Hey now there's a cool idea that can save a lot of storage space!

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
One more thing. I use a scissor to open the wrappers. It just cut the top under the sealed line. Remember to check and secure that all the card are away of the cut.

The wrapper loose a little of material, but it maintains its normal appearance. It is faster to open. Less stress to see cards blowing or flying from your hands meanwhile you try to opening a wrapper. Also if the cards aren't package by "pressure" (no gag between card and wrapper). You can storage them in the wrapper/packs until you get a supply to display or storage the cards.

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kane1:
One more thing. I use a scissor to open the wrappers. It just cut the top under the sealed line. Remember to check and secure that all the card are away of the cut.

The wrapper loose a little of material, but it maintains its normal appearance. It is faster to open.

This is how I open wrappers too. As long as you make sure the cards are away from the end you cut, it's a fast and easy way to open the packs and preserve the wrappers.

Posts: 422 | Location: UK | Registered: March 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Ah, now, that's where you lose me. I have enough guilt about cutting the face of boxes but cutting wrappers is an absolute no-no. A sample wrapper for a collection has to look as fresh and uncut as if it came straight off the production line. Cutting the tops of is sinful!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:
Ah, now, that's where you lose me. I have enough guilt about cutting the face of boxes but cutting wrappers is an absolute no-no. A sample wrapper for a collection has to look as fresh and uncut as if it came straight off the production line. Cutting the tops of is sinful!!

Big Grin It's a little OCD, but I can see how some people might not like to cut the tops off the wrappers. I'm fine with it and don't feel guilty. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Looks like now I should re-think this wrapper thing. Some of the older cards will be harder to get. But I may keep a pack around after I pull all the hits to keep the wrapper intact.

Posts: 97 | Location: United States | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
NEVER CUT THE TOPS OF YOUR WRAPPERS IF YOU WANT TO SAVE THEM. I always use a razor blade and open them at a spot where it is least damaging or just pop them open. You can open many wrappers without cutting them but should you cut them use a very careful hand and don't dig too deep as you don't want to cut your cards.
I try to save as many wrappers as I can unless they have points on them. I'm not totally crazy.

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just throw them out other than Rittenhouse wrappers I use for the rewards points.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I keep a wrapper (a set, if there are variants) for each base set I figure to complete, and about four extras for people who are looking for them.

I don't consider any empty wrapper "mint". The pack's been opened. So careful opening without cutting off the tops is my goal. I tried twisting and pulling and sometimes couldn't get more than one "pristine" wrapper per box for modern sets with crimped foil closure. With older wax packs or retro packaging, it's easier.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post