Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Digital Cards are here to stay
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Digital Cards are here to stay
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm there COULD be a silver lining in this for me. I could never be a hardcore seller of physical cards, I am too much of a collector. These however, I have absolutely zero interest in.

If people are really paying money for this stuff it might be a good way to get in as a secondary market guy. Wink

The app has been downloaded over half a million times.....there's a code writer on his/her way to retirement. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
So, I was goofing around with the points page on the Star Wars digital card page. This is where they give you points if you view a commercial or download and test a game. One offers a free box of tide if you answer a marketing survey and you get a bunch of card points.

I bite and I start to go through the 10 or so pages of questions. If I felt something was none of their business I didn't answer. All was fine until the very last page where it wants your consent for telemarketers to have your phone number even if you placed it on the do not call database. Needless to say, no amount of points is worth that so I shut it down.

Watch out for the digital card point scams.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
No one gives you something for nothing. There is always a catch! Wink

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
No one gives you something for nothing. There is always a catch! Wink

Basically you can collect the digital star wars cards for free as long as you are patient. :-) They float you so many points per day which allows you to buy packs.

What is genius for Disney is that advertisers or app makers pay them to link their product with points. So you download a game and play it for a minute you get points even if you then delete the game. Watch an online advert and you get points. My guess is you are completing some online metrics that proves success. It looks like in some cases products being sold are also linked. I gotta tip my hat to them for that move.

I am still trying to muddle through what the cards mean in terms of trade value. Some have numbers assigned as to how many there are while others don't. The whole process isn't all that well defined for me yet.

But it's a waste of a lazy Saturday afternoon so what they hey. Cool

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
So, I was goofing around with the points page on the Star Wars digital card page. This is where they give you points if you view a commercial or download and test a game.

Watch out for the digital card point scams.

Yep, the TapJoy thing is hopeless. Usually the surveys ask about 10 questions before saying that you don't qualify for any survey. The webgame 'win' thresholds are set at about 3 times the score that any person can actually get to.

The buy offers are usually okay - essentially buying credits much more cheaply than Topps sells them for. But you do have to be careful that the 'free gift' is not a subscription that you need to send back to not get charged.

The download games are usually good though - reasonable points for not too much effort. Of course, TapJoy is phenomenally bad at actually paying out, but probably gets about 70% of what you actually qualify for.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Yup...I have hit a couple of no pay outs already. It really is kind of a mess.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Sidewinder
posted Hide Post
Companies will of course love this as they can slash their production costs of actually producing anything physical, but still make money designing cards.

I feel like it would get very boring quickly, like Pokemon Go lol.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Australia | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of monsterwax
posted Hide Post
Wake me when the digital cards start getting slabbed. (I want to be first to have the number one virtual set.)

Posts: 404 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: April 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Brought back this ancient thread for a new question that had nowhere to go. Topps has been making digital cards that you can buy as long as you have the app to see them. Recently I noticed this oxymoron on eBay, a "digital" Star Wars card with an "authentic signature".

Now I don't think that anyone could get that confused about the particular one I spotted, because its Daisy Ridley for $12 and surly no one thinks it's a real signature. Still why is it OK to use language on eBay that contradicts itself? Why do we have to decipher ordinary words to determine what they mean, when what they mean should be very plain?

An authentic signature is a genuine hand signed signature. It's not a picture of a genuine hand signed signature. Digital is not physical and, if it's not physical, you don't have an autograph. You don't even have a fake autograph, which was at least signed by someone.

I guess it just annoys me tonight. I don't know if it's just an outlier, or if they are all presented this way.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of jademaliburoad
posted Hide Post
I vaguely remember collecting virtual Harry Potter cards, it was a sorta free collecting game. While it was fun for a short time, I had completely forgotten about it.

It felt like a game, rather than collecting cards. I have no interest in those virtual cards.

Posts: 1188 | Location: France | Registered: April 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post