Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Musings on being old.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Musings on being old.
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted
It is the 24 Feb in New Zealand as I write and today I am 70 years old. Three things come to mind.
1. Is it true that 70 is the new fifty? (I've heard it said). Oh let it be so!!
2. Am I the oldest person in this chat-room (a simple 'no' would be quite reassuring!)
3. Apropos Treksearchers thread, is it time to become a seller and no longer a buyer?
I know, I know, I will just sell the stuff that doesn't interest me anymore. I'll just hang on to my type set collection (887 completed) and my Fantasy Art sets (Master sets all bar three) and maybe my TV and Movie sets. No......wait......maybe.....

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First of all, happy birthday. =)

I'm not old yet in this forum so I was really surprised to know that there is an active septuagenarian here. But really, I don't personally know someone at that age who collects cards. Most of the old timers I know only collects toys for the big boys.

Cheers to you!

Posts: 69 | Location: Earth | Registered: November 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Thanks Juke. Actually I'd collect young beautiful women if I could, sadly my wife understands me perfectly.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday! I cannot say No to your first question Big Grin

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its not that im old I just cant remember why I came on this site ?

Posts: 312 | Location: united kingdom | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday to you.. Dance

1: 70 is not the new 50, this is just a rumour started by people who are 70.

2: you are not the oldest person here, I think Graham has you beat there. Big Grin Elephant

3: should you sell everything or pass on surrounded by all the things you have amassed during your life? I think that answer will be an each to his own there.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday to you Metal

Posts: 2604 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Congrats on making it to 70! I'm still a few years younger than you, but I'm amazed I lasted this long. I've been shot at, done stupid things, didn't take care of myself and I'm still here too.
70 isn't the new 50, maybe it's the new 60. Be happy it isn't the new 80.
I'm still collecting, although I've cut back in some areas, I hope to be sorting cards up to my last day. If you want to sell some, by all means do it, but keep what you love. Make sure your family or someone knows about the potential value of your collection, so that it will go to other collectors, and not be tossed out.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
I know that being mid 40's is not that old but things like today make me feel old. Harold Ramis passed away today. He was a huge part of my younger years from Animal House, Groundhog Day, Stripes, Vacation, Caddyshack and Ghostbusters. His writing and directing in many ways shaped my sense of humor. Seeing those I grew up watching on the big or small screen start to pass away is weird.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
I'll be 61 and 1/2 this Thursday. Just went thru a lot of hospital tests, Bleeding Ulcers, liver problems, insulin shots, endoscopy and various I V's, blood work, ultrasound and I really feel like heck. Visiting nurses twice a week and my weight went down from 235 to 194 lbs, since Feb,1st.

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your kind wishes! Luv You
@Mister E, hang in there I'll wait for you to turn 70 and catch up.
@ Chris Cline, yeah I know what you mean, when your peer group is dropping dead around you it's quite devastating.
@Don Norton, you been reading my mail! Yeah, I fit that description too. Ahhh the madness of youth! Smile

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Happy Birthday to you.. Dance

1: 70 is not the new 50, this is just a rumour started by people who are 70.

2: you are not the oldest person here, I think Graham has you beat there. Big Grin Elephant

3: should you sell everything or pass on surrounded by all the things you have amassed during your life? I think that answer will be an each to his own there.

First, many happy returns. There are loads here that hope to reach 70.

Wolfie may be right. As I'm 10 years younger than him, he should know.

Age is only as old as you feel the day after you've done something you should have known better of.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wvfan
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday
For me I guess I have to go with what the comic book guy on the Simpsons said.

Its the end and Ohh noo I have spent my whole life playing video games and reading comics.
Life well wasted.

I say keep doing what you enjoy right up to the last day. Cause wether were 70 or 31 like me. Each day is a gift and lets make the most out of each one.

Posts: 130 | Location: petersburg WV | Registered: December 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday and many, many more to come. Dance

There is no age limit in this hobby and really, as long as we feel healthy, we still have that immature kid in us. Big Grin

I'm no spring chicken anymore either and some people look at me oddly when I say I still collect cards, but so what? The best way to stay young is to keep doing what you enjoy. Thumb Up

Posts: 10374 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Someone said to me today "You know you're getting old when you can't wait to tell everyone how old you are. (sigh)

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday - and you should do what you enjoy right up until the time you don't enjoy it anymore

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:

Wolfie may be right. As I'm 10 years younger than him, he should know.

Big Grin Wave

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Happy birthday! Wavey

As Tangent said, you should do what you enjoy right up until the time you don't enjoy it anymore. I think this applies to any age. Enjoy the gift of life, as it something too many people do not get to do!

Posts: 1457 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeff
posted Hide Post
I don't know but I've been told you never slow down you never grow old (Tom Petty)
Happy Birthday

Posts: 92 | Location: FORT PIERCE FLORIDA | Registered: April 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for your kind wishes. It's very nice to know that you have friends. Luv You
(and there goes 300 posts)