Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    What is the Best Release?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the Best Release?
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted
Since there is so much discussion pro and con about recent releases, the UD Marvel $200 a pack release, the Mars Attacks release not having enough quality, the Cryptozoic releases being too limited, The Rittenhouse premium pack controversy and the limited autos in each set, the Breygent Mystery Packs and factory sets, what are, in your opinion, the best releases of the last 5 years? What release has done the most to satisfy the broad range of collectors in our hobby? It will be interesting to see what makes most of us happy! Smile

Posts: 5790 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only collect Marvel, and the only ones of interest to me have been the 3 "Archives" sets. I also purchased the Women of Marvel set just to see. That was ok but not good enough to get me to buy the Dangerous Divas as well.

Posts: 88 | Location: Australia | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
With the planning and birth of my second child, I can say that my card budget for the last 3 years has decreased. My son and I had a lot of fun with Icarly from Topps and the Harry Potter (Artbox) release because we did those together. I have enjoyed the Cryptozoic releases, even though I have only purchased a base set of The Walking Dead, BBT and The Guild and 3 boxes and a binder of Smallville. I got 2 boxes of Breygent Vampirella and 2 of last years mystery packs. I enjoyed the Vampirella format. My friend, Trey, loved Warehouse 13 season 1 and only could afford 2 premium packs of season 2(but he loved the premium pack format getting autos he really wanted). Since I am spending with my wallet for only releases I really want. My best for the past five years.
1. Smallville season 7 to 10 (Cyptozoic) 3 boxes
2. Icarly (Topps) 2 boxes
3. Vampirella (Breygent) 2 boxes
4. Harry Potter (Artbox) 1 box of each release

Posts: 5777 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I haven't collected much new stuff but there are a few of sets I've really liked.

1) Propaganda Posters from Cult-Stuff. I loved the subject matter and thought it was well done and a lot of fun to collect.

2) Cereal Killers Series 2 from Wax Eye. Collation was much improved over series 1, I like the look of all the cards and I just think it's a fun set.

3) Classic Mythology from Perna Studios. Beautiful looking set and top notch sketch cards at a reasonable price.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
In terms of pulls
1. 2009 Ink Vault
2. 2010 Ink Vault
3. Topps Stars Wars Galaxy 6
4. Upper Deck Avengers Assemble
5. Cryptozoic Fringe Seasons 1 and 2

In terms of favorite sets
1. Cryptozoic Vampire Diaries
2. Cryptozoic The Guild
3. Cryptozoic Fringe Seasons 1 and 2
4. Rittenhouse Archives Game of Thrones Season 1
5. 2006 Stellar Sports Illustrated Swimsuit (not quite in the past 5 years, but almost).

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Fives years is a long time, I don't think my memory is that good. Big Grin

I always focus on autograph cards, so that determines my best picks.

This year my favorite product is Game of Thrones, lots of signatures and still affordable.

Last year I liked the first Warehouse 13 and the Tudors.

Dexter, any year.

Battlestar Galatica, any year.

Americana/Pop Century, any year, but only for certain signers not available elsewhere.

I also had a lot of fun with the Ink Vault products, but only because I didn't own a lot of Inkworks' autographs. I'm sure other collectors were sick to see all the cards.

Here's 2 odd ones and they may be more than 5 years, Dead Zone and AVP Requiem. Why? Because I made masters of both without going broke. Dance

Posts: 10423 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Tough Question. Enjoyed Tudors and the way they did the set.

Dexter has been Great and the STNG Sets. And I enjoyed BBT too.

Posts: 12160 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
Can I go back a little further? LOTR Fellowship. 2 autographs per box - most of the main cast signed. Amazing!! The last 5 years? I know some may disagree but I really liked Rittenhouse's DC Legacy. As has already been pointed out, Breygent's DEXTER releases, have been stellar in terms of getting the entire cast to sign and costumes/props. And Battlestar! Particularly season 4 with the props. I'll think of some more...

Posts: 3214 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
These are mine and i think they show what a diverse amount of sets are coming out from a lot of diffrent manufacturers. There are other manufacturers that i have not mentioned who are putting out great sets, just not ones that i collect.

Hammer Horror... Strictly Ink

Marilyn Monroe.... Breygent

Vampirella.... Breygent

Bond ( all of them ).... Rittenhouse

Propaganda Posters... Cult Stuff

Bettie Page... Versicolor

Spook Shows....Monsterwax

Classic Mythology...Perna

Avengers 50th.... Unstoppable ( not quite out yet but will be great anyway )

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wolfie,

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Zero
posted Hide Post
For me, a special mention has to go to Monsters Zombies and Freaks (MZF) from Cult Stuff which got me hooked on sketch card collecting. Huge variety, some fabulous artwork and, most importantly, very affordable! Fantastic mixture of obscure chase cards and sketch cards. Love that set.

Have to say it was my favourite until Classic Mythology was released by the Pernas. Nice base and chase set, although easily available so no fun to be had in collecting them, but the Sketch cards were stunning. Fabulous quality from all concerned.

1. Classic Mythology (Perna)
2. Monsters Zombies Freaks (Cult Stuff)
3. Sherlock Holmes and Victorian Crime (Cult Stuff)
4. The Bettie Page Private Collection (Versicolor)
5. Dark Zodiac (Reddlife)

Honorable mentions go to Age of Sorcery, Propaganda Posters and Titanic (Cult Stuff), Walking Dead (Cryptozoic), Hammer Horror 1 & 2 (Strictly Ink) and Night of the Living Dead (Unstoppable).

Posts: 191 | Location: Cheshire, UK | Registered: January 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgf351
posted Hide Post
My favorite release has been Stargate Universe Season 1 from Rittenhouse. Great looking set. Plus, you just can't beat 3 Autos and 2 Costume cards per box.

Check out my blog at Card Crazy!

Posts: 111 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
Rittenhouse Warehouse 13 - I'm a fan of the show and the auto lineup is great and accessible. Perna Studios Classic Mythology - stunning artwork. Many of the small artist run companies have gone for erotica themes, and Perna Studios showed there's a market for good art that's not erotica and doesn't require a license.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
So 5 years ago...we're talking 2007?

Charmed Forever.
*Classic Vintage Movie Posters (Breygent/2006)
Star Wars Galaxy Series 4.
American Pie (Topps/2011).
The Big Bang Theory Season 1 & 2.

*Only downside was 1 box missing a sketch.

I collect a lot of older sets that seem 'new' to me so I'm trying not to get confused and keep it current within 2007-2012 time frame.

These are the first 5 sets that came to mind that I really liked.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
I loved the Star Trek set from the 2009 movie -- it had nice images on the base set, great insert sets, an amazing autograph lineup and fantastic looking costume cards.

I also really like the Stargate Universe season one and two sets, and Game of Thrones is a great set -- if it had costume cards and if the character cards weren't so dang ugly it might be my favorite set.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm mainly interested in classic horror themes, so my choices reflect that:

Breygent Sci-Fi & Horror Series One

Breygent Sci-Fi & Horror Series Two

Monsterwax Spookshow (tremendous value)

Cult Stuff Age of Sorcery

Rittenhouse Game of Thrones.

Also really enjoying the sketches from Unstoppable's NOTLD release!

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post