Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ebay at it again-
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
. . . unfortunately I've never been able to get many dealers listing stuff. . .

Well for a start, until I started this thread I never knew that TCM even existed and secondly when I Googled it only Steam cards, Yu-Gi-oh, MTG and sports cards showed up. Where do I find it? Please send me a URL

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem for new sites is getting buyers. I've tried every new site I hear about including the ones already mentioned here. The problem is they end up being a storage area for items that I'm eventually going to sell on eBay. I wish I had the time to continue to support new sites because I want to see them succeed. When I had accounts with TCM, TCA, and eBay I was doing 3 times the labor for the same sales, all on eBay, and eventually couldn't keep up with it.

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Chrisahend
posted Hide Post
One thing I noticed locally about shows is people's expectations have changes with the growth of the megacons. I've talked to people off and on for the last 20 years about doing shows in the Birmingham area and no one wanted to do a small show. Everyone I talked to wanted to jump in from day 1 and do a supershow but didn't have the experience or the funding to do it. The result is there were almost nothing but an occasional sports card show for almost 20 years. Someone finally started the Alabama Phoenix Festival a couple years ago and they seem to be doing well.

Posts: 869 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: November 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
. . . unfortunately I've never been able to get many dealers listing stuff. . .

Well for a start, until I started this thread I never knew that TCM even existed and secondly when I Googled it only Steam cards, Yu-Gi-oh, MTG and sports cards showed up. Where do I find it? Please send me a URL

TCM can be found at TheCardMarket.com

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chrisahend:
When I had accounts with TCM, TCA, and eBay I was doing 3 times the labor for the same sales, all on eBay, and eventually couldn't keep up with it.

TCM and TCA haven't reached critical mass -- it's more like eBay was back in the 90s -- people would post on eBay, then go to the newsgroups to tell everyone what they were selling on eBay. . . Now everyone knows about eBay, so the market is already there. . .

In order for another site -- be it TCM, TCA, or any other site to survive it's going to take some advertising.

I had hoped that all the dealers who complained about eBay would take the time to list stuff on TCM, then post their TCM lists on other sites, initially using TCM more or less for an inventory/cataloging site. Eventually, as the word got out people would just start to come to TCM looking for stuff, and the need for additional advertising would disappear.

Just like with eBay in the early days the sellers need to decide where they want to sell and get the word out. . . it's going to take effort to get away from eBay. . .

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, the world has certainly changed a lot since I started buying on ebay in the late 1990s

Before then, the only place to find old comic books and new/old trading cards were at small, local shows, a few stores, and through mail order catalogues like Barrington Square and Paul and Judy's. I remember them well

Now, you can find almost anything with just an ebay search

I think ebay really killed the small comic/card shows, which were plentiful in the 1980s and 90s, at least in New Jersey

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Martine
posted Hide Post
Guys, thanks for discussing TCM. I had no idea it existed, however, I am going to go through it and hopefully find something I need. I have a few cards on "that" other site right now, but the various rules and fees just drive me nuts! An alternative is very welcome Smile

Posts: 407 | Location: South Texas, USA | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I might as well jump in about TCM. I've been selling on there for some time now under Chilly55. Despite not a lot of traffic, I have sold 109 cards.

It's easy for me to beat Feebay prices because I don't pay the 10% that one does selling on Feebay. I have many sales where people have offered on a card and I have taken their offer. So you do have the option of trying to buy a card at a lower price. Sometimes prices on Feebay drop below my TCM prices and that's when I usually get a best offer on a card. Most of the time though, I keep my prices below Feebay and people pay my asking price.

The key is putting up your cards below Feebay pricing. Just don't get greedy, your already saving 10%!! Yes, the exposure isn't like Feebay, but I don't care. I am still able to sell.

If you list cards higher than Feebay, then people will buy over on Feebay. But if a card you like is $100.00 on Feebay, a smart seller will have it for $90.00 on TCM and make the same amount of profit. Plus, TCM won't be sending the IRS any information for making too much money Smile

Bill

Posts: 96 | Location: Virginia | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Lovemesomecards
posted Hide Post
I have to say I do like using The Card Market. I have bought a handful of cards and I am going to start putting my extras on there to sell.

Chilly55 - Thanks for the TCM tips and for being a great seller there.

Posts: 749 | Location: Rockford,Illinois | Registered: July 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember when yahoo also had auctions and I used to look there. Unfortunately, the rarest cards were more likely to be found on eBay.

I also remember buying/selling/trading on Usenet, and I would get good responses there. During the heydays, there would be 120-140 postings a day for only nonsports. You
Probably can still google old postings going back to mid-90s.

Right now I use ebay to find what I am looking for, visit bbbs for trades or to put want lists, like here or starwarscards.net. I know there are others for wacky packages, garbage pail kids, sketchcards, etc.

I just wish I could find any big nonsports players from the 90s who has cards I am looking for they are willing to sell. Most are very elusive, even ebay isn't big enough to help my hunt.

David

Posts: 328 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: February 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post