Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Star Wars Topps Books
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Topps Books
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Since 2015, they've released a series of books on SW commemorating the 1970s to 1990s cards

All of the books come with new, exclusive bonus cards by Topps inside

I've seen the 3 for the 1977-1983 Star Wars sets, and they also did 1 for SW Galaxy

Are there just 4 ? Are more planned ?

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like Return of the Jedi was the most recent one

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Yes, Jedi just came out, but it was pre-released at Comic-Con last month in a 75 copy limited edition signed by Gary Gerani, the copywriter on the vintage Star Wars set along with many other Topps non-sport sets.

It's a beautiful book, just like the rest, with four bonus cards in a clear cello pack affixed to the inside back cover, and a bargain at the price it sells for.

I asked about additional volumes in the series and was told they are doing Star Wars Widevision, those "letterbox" sets from 1990's. As long as that one sells, maybe there's a chance for another Galaxy volume, this one featuring the "New Visions" art subset from the more recent series, Galaxy 4-7.

Abrams had a poster giveaway at the Con, one poster per day showing the three vintage wax packs that adorn the original series book covers and the one based on Star Wars Galaxy with a painting of Yoda. I was only able to attend two of the days, and those days, they had the Star Wars 1977 poster and the Star Wars Galaxy poster. I have doubles of those, if anyone want to trade me the Empire and Jedi posters for them. Those would be the ones given away on Saturday and Sunday.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have the first book though Amazon packed it so the cover got a little messed up.

I might get the Star Wars Galaxy one at some point but am happy to hear about the Widevision volume. That was the set that got me back into collecting cards - great set with really cool chromium chase cards.

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Yes, Jedi just came out, but it was pre-released at Comic-Con last month in a 75 copy limited edition signed by Gary Gerani, the copywriter on the vintage Star Wars set along with many other Topps non-sport sets.

It's a beautiful book, just like the rest, with four bonus cards in a clear cello pack affixed to the inside back cover, and a bargain at the price it sells for.

I asked about additional volumes in the series and was told they are doing Star Wars Widevision, those "letterbox" sets from 1990's. As long as that one sells, maybe there's a chance for another Galaxy volume, this one featuring the "New Visions" art subset from the more recent series, Galaxy 4-7.

Abrams had a poster giveaway at the Con, one poster per day showing the three vintage wax packs that adorn the original series book covers and the one based on Star Wars Galaxy with a painting of Yoda. I was only able to attend two of the days, and those days, they had the Star Wars 1977 poster and the Star Wars Galaxy poster. I have doubles of those, if anyone want to trade me the Empire and Jedi posters for them. Those would be the ones given away on Saturday and Sunday.

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I have the Empire book. It is fun to get off the shelf and look at.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
I have the first 3 STAR WARS books as well as 3 Wacky Packages, Garbage Pail Kids, The original STAR TREK and Bazooka Joe books. Great books to add to your collections.

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Don't forget there's a Mars Attacks book too

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
All are gems, including the Bazooka Joe, the Comic-Con signed edition of which has 8 autographs in it, including the likes of Bhob Stewart, Jay Lynch, and Len Brown. Considering those were sold at a discount from even the regular cover price at the show, I look on that as one of the best values I ever got there.

I asked if they might continue the line after Star Wars Widevision with perhaps a combo collection, i.e, "Topps Non-Sports in the 1960s" or "Topps Non-Sports in the 1970's" showcasing an example of a card with editorial notes from every set not yet covered that was made during that era, but based on the quizzical response I got, I don't think that's going to happen, haha.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I thought there were just 2 Wacky books, from 2008 and 2010. Is there a third ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I see that the Star Wars Widevision book is coming in April 2017

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aeolus14ummbra
posted Hide Post
Topps is also doing Planet of the Apes in June.

Posts: 285 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I did end up getting that "Star Wars Galaxy" volume. Nice one. One of the included exclusive cards shows the art of the in-demand SWG Series 2 P3 promo card so some collectors might not feel like they need to track down the in-demand ($200+) version.

A friend picked up the "Mars Attacks" one and liked that one as well.

quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I have the first book though Amazon packed it so the cover got a little messed up.

I might get the Star Wars Galaxy one at some point but am happy to hear about the Widevision volume. That was the set that got me back into collecting cards - great set with really cool chromium chase cards.

quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:

Posts: 4376 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
tJ Maxx (US) has the Empire Strikes Back book for 12.99.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RedFive
posted Hide Post
I found the Galaxy book at TJ Maxx on clearance today.

Posts: 440 | Location: USA | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I looked for all the others since Empire was the only one I had. I am hoping that they show up. Also, the two copies at my TJ Maxx did have the cards in the book (in case that was a concern for anyone).

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Besides the recently released SW Widevision book, I see that this month they came out with a SW Classic Sticker book, with exclusive bonus stickers. See Amazon

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
I see that the Star Wars Widevision book is coming in April 2017

There is a short article and interview on the official Star Wars site about the book.
http://www.starwars.com/news/t...star-wars-widevision

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post