Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Are Wacky Packs Sports Non-Sports??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are Wacky Packs Sports Non-Sports??
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of anthonyd
posted
Hi all,

I didn't see a topic (maybe I missed it), but Topps Wacky Packages released a "sports" series of Wacky Packs based on fake items using real baseball team names.
Would these be considered sport or non-sport? I say non-sport.

Posts: 802 | Location: MA | Registered: March 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I agree, and I think most Wacky collectors would be interested in these, even those who don't care for baseball at all. I only dabble in them myself, but I get a "completist" vibe from many Wacky collectors.

Topps did put a promo for the series in each box of their 2016 Topps Baseball Series 1, the flagship set, and a heavily produced one at that, so I'm sure they're hoping to sell some to their sports cards collectors who don't normally buy Wackys. Due to the widespread distribution method of them in a popular baseball set, these must be among the heaviest produced non-sports promos in many years.

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Non-sport.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Gets my vote for non-sports and worst set of the year as well I'm sorry I brought any.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Just because wacky packages have such a long history I would say non-sport.

As kid I would buy the ones that made fun of household and commercial products.

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of anthonyd
posted Hide Post
Quick Update - there are 4-card packs at The Dollar Store. I grabbed one but haven't opened it yet - though you can see the top card thru the window.

Posts: 802 | Location: MA | Registered: March 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I collect baseball cards. I don't consider Wacky Packs with baseball team names a sports card. The cards don't depict a real player.

Posts: 31 | Location: Boston Mass | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Non-Sport because they're more satire sticker cards than legitimate official sports league endorsed series eg MLB.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post