Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Trek Captains
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
In the many versions of the Star Trek universe we have had five captains and six actors, to date. The poll question is about picking your favorite captain, which we all know pretty much comes down to Kirk or Picard. Big Grin

The thing I'm more interested in discussing is the differences between the prices and the availability of the certified autograph cards signed by them in the various Star Trek sets. For that you can also add the sixth actor, Chris Pine, who was still playing Kirk of course.

As I was looking at recent pricing for this group, four things seemed to stand out to me.

1. Shatner autograph cards are holding their prices despite the fact that Shatner has signed in a lot of products. Apparently the increase in supply does not have much effect on the demand for him.

2. Although many people seem to take Picard over Kirk, Stewart's autograph cards are not valued nearly as high.

3. Mulgrew's autograph cards are extremely cheap for a Star Trek captain, even I can afford a couple. Wink

4. Bakula and Brooks have probably the fewest signed cards of the group and pricing may be high more because of supply than demand.

I was thinking about this because I was just reading an article about the UK convention where all five captains came together for the first time. Any thoughts?

Question:
Who is your favorite Star Trek captain?

Choices:
William Shatner - Kirk
Patrick Stewart - Picard
Kate Mulgrew - Janeway
Avery Brooks - Sisko
Scott Bakula - Archer

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I'm a Sisko man. He had the man-of-action like Kirk and the brain equal to Picard.

Just for fun=My favorite captains.
1.Sisko
2.Kirk
3.Janaway
4. Archer
5. Picard
6. Pike! (Don't forgot about me!)
7. Cameron from Ferris Buller who was captain for 1 minute in Generations.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Always - James T. Kirk.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Picard for me Smile

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I don't have a fave, i enjoyed them all. Smile

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well its a small sample so far, but could it be that Avery Brooks - Sisko is the favorite captain by a good margin?

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
For me, he's my least favroite. I rarely watch DS9 and for along itme didn't collect their cards. I ahve since, though sometimes i think about not...just can't get into it.

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I chose Sisko...In the Pale Moonlight is still my favorite Star Trek related episode all time.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Rachel Garrett. A sacrifice that was either too soon or too late, depending on your timeline.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only one real Captain and that is Kirk..

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I had to vote for Kirk, since I've been watching him since I was a kid. But, Picard is good in his own right.

Apparently Archer is not getting any respect here. I never got interested in the show, so I guess that doesn't surprise me much. However, I watched more of Enterprise than I did of Voyager--couldn't even tell you who the characters were on that show...

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
Sisko is my guy! He is coming to Denver next month it will be great to meet him.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drofdarb:
Only one real Captain and that is Kirk..

But now we have to ask "Which Kirk?" Razz

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
How about Captain Edward Jellico? He took over the Enterprise from Picard when Picard was on a secret mission.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by treksearcher:
How about Captain Edward Jellico? He took over the Enterprise from Picard when Picard was on a secret mission.

I think every second-in-command took over the Enterprise at one time or another. Big Grin

Picard has taken the lead.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I voted for Picard just because he was the captain I remember growing up. He was the first captain I had experience with, so he gets my vote.

I have to say though that I am currently marathoning Voyager from the beginning on Netflix and my opinion of Kate Mulgrew and the Janeway character has substantially improved from my memories from previous viewings.

Besides that, Kirk was a little too camp, Sisko too inconsistent (though when he is good he is excellent), and Archer a little too cowboy-ish for my tastes.

I'd probably rank them Picard-Kirk-Sisko/Janeway-Archer.

https://sites.google.com/site/riddler149/

Posts: 1255 | Location: California | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by riddler_149:

Besides that, Kirk was a little too camp . . .

Big Grin I think its quite valid to say that because the whole Star Trek TOS looks campy when viewed today. And if you went by who was the better actor, I don't think too many people would choose Shatner over Stewart.

But for a long time Kirk and his crew were the only Captain and the only crew and many people grew up with that Star Trek. This is why the Shatner and Nimoy autograph cards are worth so much more than all the others that followed and continue to hold their value even though they have done a lot of signings by now.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
Personally, I thought Avery Brooks chewed the scenery more than Shatner...almost,but I still love them both. My fav. Captains

1. Kirk
2. Janeway
3. Picard
4. Sisko
5. Archer

And I pick Kirk first because that's how I first discovered Star Trek.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
How about the theme ? Voyager is the worse star trek but jerry goldsmith's theme is the best of the 5 Thumb Up

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheifbrody:
How about the theme ? Voyager is the worse star trek but jerry goldsmith's theme is the best of the 5 Thumb Up

Voyager's is worse than Enterprise's?

In all seriousness, I can never really tell the difference between Voyager's and DS9's.

https://sites.google.com/site/riddler149/

Posts: 1255 | Location: California | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post