Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    R.I.P.Ralph McQuarrie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

R.I.P.Ralph McQuarrie
 Login/Join

posted
Sad day,legend of an artist!! Frown

Posts: 182 | Location: runcorn | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of SHouseman
posted Hide Post
I had not heard this! That's too bad. I remember opening up Topps' Empire Strikes Backs cards growing up and getting the basic cards with his production art on them. We wouldn't have the original trilogy we know now without his artistic input! RIP!

Posts: 1186 | Location: USA | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Chris Cline
posted Hide Post
What more can be said about a man that defined a galaxy?

R.I.P Mr.McQuarrie my childhood would have not been as bright without you.

http://1000thghostcards.weebly.com/

Posts: 1155 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
RIP

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble

Posts: 855 | Location: Coventry - England | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I missed this thread when it was new. Ralph McQuarrie created some incredible artwork. I really liked the Star Wars pre-production piece of C3PO and R2-D2 crossing the desert after their escape. In it C3PO looks like the "Machine Man" from Metropolis, honoring the cinematic past in that way though he's perhaps outmoded next to the multi-function droid coming up behind him.

In the Star Wars Widevision set by Topps in 1994 McQuarrie art was showcased in the set's only chase level, a 10-card chromium subset and the art looked great in that format. The chromium sheen cleanly reflected the shimmering heat of Tatooine's wastelands and metallic surfaces of the Death Star and space ships. The painting of the droids in the desert as a chromium widevision card is one of my favorite chase cards ever made.

In the late 90's I met Ralph McQuarrie briefly at a collectibles show he was signing at. In my collection the only sizable McQuarrie items I had were two Star Wars Mastervisions promo cards (Star Wars magazine inserts) so I brought those in case I could get something signed. Other people had more substantial things like nice art prints for him to autograph but he signed my cards too. I don't have a COA for those and maybe I should get those slabbed at some point, but all these years later, I like them as they are with the memory of meeting a great artist.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post