Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Inkworks Embossed Cards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inkworks Embossed Cards
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted
I have recently purchased a small Buffy 4 subset of 6 that have been stamped with the Inkworks embossed seal 2002
Inkworks used this seal at shows mainly SDCC you could get cards embossed for a fee or purchase of product
I know a bit about these cards but have only seen these for sale on three occasions including two of wich have purchased ,the other one was too expensive
I have onlt seen three issues with this seal embossed on them Lost1 Buffy 3 and Buffy 4.
Has anyone on the forum Any information on these , or been to a SDCC show were they have seen how this in operation mainly 2002 , Have any of this type of cards , give me any info on what series have or were used etc
I have heard that Inkworks embossed a entire set of cards as some sort of prize but this could just be a roumour
Anyway any info will be appreciated even if I already have it
Thanks
Piko

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Yes, I only remember them doing it at the 2002 Comic-Con, but they may have done it other years.

It was a small hand-held device. You were allowed up to 6 embossed cards as long as you opened the packs there in front of the Inkworks booth worker, and chose one card from each of the packs you just opened. I went with 6 packs of "Simpson Mania" cards so my embossed cards are all from that set.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Ok so that explains why there was a set of 6. and how they were come by.
Some people could of got 6 different titles
I now have 4 titles
Anyone got any other titles to add
I am sure that I have seen a Lost one Sun base card advertised and these were issued 2004/5 but could be mistaken

Posts: 759 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have looked at my Inkworks promo cards and I have the following:-
Buffy Season Five B5-2
Jurassic Park 3
Lara Croft Tomb Raider
Mummy Returns MR-3
These four just have an Inkworks stamp

Angel Season Four A4-UK
This has an Inkworks stamp with 2003 added to it - an entirely different stamp

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks John
The Buffy 5 P2 was the NSU SDCC issue with the San Diego in a curved Format
I think the Angel 4 was the Uk incentive card
The others would be the ones that I am looking for I think
Thanks for the additions but for something SDCC I thought there would be more out there
I am not sure if 2002 was the only year that the machine was used at a SDCC
But we now have a list of 7 different titles.
Also would these be classed as Promo Cards

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Piko,

I think the reason you don't see more of these is that people collecting a particular set from that time might have one or more embossed cards but they are keeping them with the set. Selling one would be like breaking up a chase set. They might go up for sale only when a collector decides to sell the whole set in the binder. I have the feeling some people might have sold a set with at least one of those included but forgot about them (or just forgot to mention it in the sales listing). It's also possible that a collector might keep them even if they sold the set because those are the ones they obtained in person so they have more of a sentimental value.

Whether these embossed cards are promos might be well-argued one way or another. They could be considered as a special promotion while others might say a base card is a base card no matter what special stamp you add on later. It's certainly some kind of official variant that Inkworks created in a very limited way. I would think anyone collecting any of the Inkworks sets of the time would like to have an example.

Jess

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So I've read about this Inkworks SDCC promotion a few times on Card Talk, but I have none of the cards. Is the embossed seal like the old Skybox seal or a Notary seal? Is the hand held device really just a crimper?

Since the way I understand it, any base card could have gotten the seal because the product was purchased or because you just paid to do the card from any Inkworks title, I could see calling it an official variant, but not a promo card. True it was done in a promotion, but the card itself was not made for the promotion, its just an average card.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if you are bringing your own regular card, I get how the company can add something to make it different from the other copies and therefore a variant, but not that it would change the card's type. A base card could be a base card variant, but if it wasn't a promo card to start with, it can't become a promo card when the card wasn't manufactured to promote any set. I guess it may be a matter of opinion.

Posts: 10379 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
the seal is oval approx 1 x 1/2 inch the same as the Buffy 5 P2 that was embossed and inserted in the NSU magazine With a variation in the placing of the san diego and a date.
I agree with your other ideas on wether the card is a promo etc that question was to try and clarify the matter.
I dont really care as I collect inkworks variations and anything unusual that there is available or what comes up.
They very rarely come up for sale and as they were available at a SDCC show there in my opinion are more of them in peoples hands not all people that go to the SDCC and would of possibly purchased them are collectors.
But as Catskill says these could be an item that being personally obtained is being retained as a keepsake by the owner even if everything else is sold
They are rare and i think collectible but at the moment I am trying to get an idea from the forum community on what is out there wich appears to be very little
I thank the forum community for what has been put up to date

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I went to the SDCC from 1997 or 98 to 2001 so I missed out on the embossed cards other than that Buffy Season 5 promo in the special convention issue. Had I gone the next year, I think I would have gone for those just because they were another kind of souvenir from the show. Those shows were great. All kinds of other stuff was given out too (posters, pins, comics, etc.). You could fill the souvenir bag they gave you when you registered with all kinds of free stuff.

I think another reason you don't see them more often is that not every card collector who had the chance to do it at the show was interested in it. I remember a lot of people around the Inkworks booth a lot of the time.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I have always looked at these cards as just a bit of fun which is what i think Inkworks intended them to be at the show.

In the case of the UK one with the sticker stuck on it....well....we had these stickers you see. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
After a further look I can also add the following:-

Buffy Season 7 B7-UK with a 2003 Inkworks stamp.
Lost in Space P2 Mark Goddard autograph card different Inkworks stamp.

According to Allender's listing the Lost In Space P3 autograph card by Jonathan Harris is also embossed, I have not seen one of these so I cannot confirm.

In my own notes I have an entry for the Lost in Space the Movie General Mills set of four that I have seen GM1 and GM3 also embossed with the Inkworks stamp, they are also mentioned in PCE 2008.

regards

John

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JOHN LEVITT,

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Here's the 6 I have.
I opened this box of 2001 Inkworks Simpsons Mania right there at the Inkworks counter and was allowed to choose which six cards to have embossed.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Very Nice more for the list
Thank You