Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    unopened non-sports pack. No idea what I have.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

unopened non-sports pack. No idea what I have.
 Login/Join

posted
I've had this pack for about 15 years or so. I don't know what I paid for it. If anyone has any information and maybe a value. I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Posts: 31 | Location: Boston Mass | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Don't know much but I do know that it is the collectible card game Pokemon. The Japanese version started before it became popular in the states.

Posts: 717 | Location: Washington, PA | Registered: June 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Smile

Posts: 31 | Location: Boston Mass | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I think the original cards started around 1996. You have a Japanese pack, but I don't know Pokémon and I can't tell you what edition this might be. Safe to say that the earlier the edition the more it would be worth.

Just like any other non-sport card or even sports card product, the calculation of value on a sealed pack is a different animal than just getting the value of the cards because you have no idea what is in the pack. The greater the chance of pulling higher value cards, the more a sealed pack is likely to fetch.

Outside of doing a little Magic, I never got into gaming cards, but there is tons of info on youtube, eBay and a website called Troll and Toad. Once you identify exactly what pack you have, you should be able to find some data about sealed pack sales. Lots of luck. Smile

Posts: 10387 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I'm not CCG expert either, as this post will likely show, but here's a little.

Pokémon is a little unusual compared to other Collectible card games (particularly Magic, which has single cards worth over $1000) in that most of the pack issued Pokémon cards are worth between 50 cents and 10 dollars. The "Charizard" 1st Edition card would be the best one, I think, and I don't know the current value, but I remember when it was a good seller at $50 when the cards were still fairly new.

I think that what keeps the value of Pokémon cards pretty steady is that they are all made in fairly even quantity in production runs that were always pretty hefty.

There are some very valuable Pokémon promo cards, however, most notably, the "Illustrator" promo card, issued to the 6 winners of character designing contest held in Japan. Those are valued at $20,000 or so, which puts them right up there with the most valuable "Magic" cards which were usually pack issued originally...

Posts: 3319 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the new information.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
If it is from 96 or 97 it was the beginning of Pokemon cards.

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
Much as happens with many other words and phrases borrowed from English, the Japanese name for the series, Pocket Monsters, became contracted into "Pockemon" during the development of the original games, likely as much for convenience when referring to it as to save on screen real estate, considering the small size of the Game Boy's screen. The official romanization of "Pockemon" at this time was derived from the contraction of Pocket and Monster
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
The same pack sold back in November for $9 + $2.32 shipping on ebay. Said it was a 1996 booster pack.

Didn't see any others that were the exact same pack so one listing isn't exactly a good barometer of value but it is a starting point.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the information.