Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Non-Sports Cards at Dollar Tree
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Sports Cards at Dollar Tree
 Login/Join

Picture of dstrohmeng
posted
I noticed some gravity-feed boxes of non-sports cards at Dollar Tree today. I saw Americana, Igor and Marvel Ultimate Battles. I'll have to check the other stores in my area to see if they have anything.

Posts: 380 | Location: Buffalo | Registered: February 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
Bought 20 packs (at Dollar Tree in Plaistow,N.H.) of the 2009 Donruss Americanas and had 11 extra cards for the 100 card set and missing 11 cards to finish it. Also bought some Movie/TV collector cards with 2 different card packs (my second un-opened wrapper had 3 packs of cards, MASK, AAAHH!!! Real Monsters and the Hunchback of Notre Dame). MetalThey had a lot of sport card packs also.

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of miket999
posted Hide Post
Mine had some Igor cards that I picked up a week or 2 ago plus some gaming cards and sports cards. If they had Americana, I would have picked up some of those as well.

Mike.

Posts: 5347 | Location: Warrenton, Virginia, USA | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
My 1st pack had the David Carradine card. Wish these cards had inserts and autographed cards. Just a regular base set, but really great cards to add to my collection. Mike, how many packs you need ?? I'm going back up by bus on Monday, (A 15 minute bus ride from my place).( All I need is you snail mail address). (We can trade cards if you want, I need #'s 11,19,24,34,38,42,53,81,91,95,99). G.

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
So are these all stripped out packs that do not have a chance of inserts?

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Perfect Tommy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the notice. I'm in those stores all the time getting gum or looking for cheap party stuff, never noticed the cards. Will definately have to go today. Sad though if these ae the stripped down versions though.

BTW, are the cards up front near checkout or are they in the toy section with the other sealed cards?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Perfect Tommy,

Posts: 736 | Location: DFW | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
No inserts in the 20 packs I bought, And found the items on-sale near the registers. Metal

Picture of dstrohmeng
posted Hide Post
My store had a 4-sided spinner rack near the registers. I was a bit surprised to see them. The only other cards I've ever seen there were the Harry Potter game cards. I seem to remember those being 2 for a dollar.

Posts: 380 | Location: Buffalo | Registered: February 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
At first I thought these were discounted Retail packs, such as you would find in Target - they aren't - this is just base cards is a unique wrapper.
I bought a few packs, got the last retail card I needed, and a few a friend needed.

I looked all over the store and they were, like mentioed above, right near the check out - in fact, to get to the packs, I had to stand in somebody's way, the ailse is pretty narrow.

It's odd that Panini has ventured into this market - but this is one area where cards of any sort have been overlooked.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Don't have any Dollar Trees by me, just 99 Cents stores on every block. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
I stopped in a couple and saw nothing of interest in one and some Marvel Masterpieces II cards with all possible inserts for retail. I bought some packs for a buck each and ended up getting the Hulk and Iron Man "B" die cuts.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
At first I thought these were discounted Retail packs, such as you would find in Target - they aren't - this is just base cards is a unique wrapper.

It's odd that Panini has ventured into this market - but this is one area where cards of any sort have been overlooked.

Actually, I don't find it odd at all. You have to remember that Panini is used to selling sticker packets at retail throughout much of the world. So that they would make an "unlimited" product in big enough quantities to make a profit on volume does not surprise me at all.

Actually, it's thinking like this that might bring back the hobby to kids. Dollar stores are a perfect venue for cards with little to no chase.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of make-mine-marvel
posted Hide Post
i had bought 25 mixed packs (sports & nonsports) / some packs had zero chance of inserts, but i got 1 jersey card out of UD football.

@Sketchcards on Twitter

Posts: 1817 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Perfect Tommy
posted Hide Post
Went to a couple of stores around me this weekend, nothing in one and the other only had Cars sticker cards. Guess they haven't made it my way yet.

Posts: 736 | Location: DFW | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of make-mine-marvel
posted Hide Post
went to a different Dollar Tree -
they had Marvel Masterpiece set.2 -
packs said "sketch card" & FF costumes - but were retail -
what's the odds?

I bought 4 packs - fun, but nothing -

@Sketchcards on Twitter

Posts: 1817 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
There are no stated odds, but from all of the retail that I went through, I never came across a sketch or a costume...only the B and C die-cuts.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
Bought 25 packs of Marvel Masterpieces Set 2, and still need some base cards for my set and got "0" sketch cards and "0" Fantastic 4 memorabilia cards Frown Frown.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Ace of Hearts
posted Hide Post
I went to the one in my neighborhood. No Americana, 2 packs of Marvel and lots of Igor.
Also got no autos.
Ace

Posts: 2894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by make-mine-marvel:
went to a different Dollar Tree -
they had Marvel Masterpiece set.2 -
packs said "sketch card" & FF costumes - but were retail -
what's the odds?

I bought 4 packs - fun, but nothing -

I'm pretty sure they just used the Hobby wrappers for the retail packs of Marvel Masterpieces Set 2.

Another way you can be pretty sure there were no FF costume cards in the Retail packs is the lack of decoy cards, that is, those thick cards intended to discourage pack searching.

In the Marvel Set 2 hobby box, 4 of the 36 packs were extra thick. Three of those had decoy cards and the last one had the Costume card. I actually purchased a a sealed holder of the retail packs, and no sketches or costumes for me on those either, but perhaps more tellingly, none of the decoy cards either.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
Actually, folks on the boards had reported seeing folks who did pull costumes from retail packs. I also thought I remembered someone stating that they saw a kid pull a sketch card (but I could be mistaken). The odds were nowhere similar to hobby, in fact, no odds are stated on the retail packaging (which is indeed different from the hobby).

I have noticed that some of the companies forgo the blockers in some retail product as they just don't want to spend the money.