Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Are Rittenhouse destroying the hobby?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are Rittenhouse destroying the hobby?
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sidewinder:
Increasing the amount of base cards in a premium pack would be a good idea, make it 4 base cards, 1 chase and 3 hits. The base set for Warehouse 13 was only 26 cards as compared to the usual 72 or more, so this format is probably best suited to shows with less than 15 episodes per season.
I don't think you can use the number of episodes per season as a measure when something like Game of Thrones only has 10.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
]I don't think you can use the number of episodes per season as a measure when something like Game of Thrones only has 10.

Game of Thrones is, of course, a box release with a large base set. My suggestion was limited to the premium pack style which generally have a base set of 20-30 cards. In those cases, having enough base cards to get a set per 4 packs would not make the pack unreasonably large because it would only add another 5 cards.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WarriorBabe:
NCIS is surprising to be released as a premium pack, because it is a huge hit of a show.

Yeah, NCIS may be a title that should have had a full release, especially since the show is still up in the ratings and has the potential for other sets.

A couple of reasons against it might be that RA feels that NCIS' large audience will not translate to card buyers, or that there are not enough autographs or relics available to support a traditional box production run.

As one of the minority that doesn't follow the show, my interest in the premium packs will be limited to reading the comments of NCIS card collectors once its released. It could be a miscalculation not to have made more, but time will tell.

Posts: 10387 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alric
posted Hide Post
I have never been a case level buyer so these packs are no use to me. As far as I can see the pack hits are similar to thoes in a box for a similar price just with no base set.

Both the manufacturer and my dealer lose out as I would normally get a box or two and a binder for a normal set but for the pemium packs they get no money from me at all.

For case buyers or Ebay auto chasrs I can see the attraction to this format but I can't see it for anyone who is happy just getting the odd box to get a base set and a change at a ncie chase.

Posts: 176 | Location: Kent, England | Registered: August 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
A premium pack is about 2/3 the price of a box and the shipping is a lot less.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alric
posted Hide Post
To get a base set you are still looking at buying the equivilant of a case (ie 100's of dollars). Shipping is not much of an issue as all products come from overseas so buying a normal box and a binder or a case and binder would not be that much difference in shipping.

Posts: 176 | Location: Kent, England | Registered: August 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alric:
To get a base set you are still looking at buying the equivilant of a case (ie 100's of dollars). Shipping is not much of an issue as all products come from overseas so buying a normal box and a binder or a case and binder would not be that much difference in shipping.

At which point you just buy the set rather than chasing the premium inserts surely? I can't say worthless base sets has made the hobby any better either.

Posts: 121 | Location: London | Registered: July 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tangent:
A premium pack is about 2/3 the price of a box and the shipping is a lot less.

That is actually a great argument for offering both formats for a release. I'm sure most people ordering 1 or more cases would prefer the premium format, the reduced cost would more than offset any lost sales of base sets, while those ordering a box, or a few boxes could order the full box version and get their easy base set.
I've ordered a case of True Blood, but I know I won't sell a single base set, heck, I literally have over 100 various Buffy base sets I've never sold just sitting in my basement, and that's after giving away several dozen.

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Incarnadine:
That is actually a great argument for offering both formats for a release. I'm sure most people ordering 1 or more cases would prefer the premium format, the reduced cost would more than offset any lost sales of base sets, while those ordering a box, or a few boxes could order the full box version and get their easy base set.

But, once you design, get approval, and start printing base cards your savings is pretty much lost. I don't think printing a few thousand less base cards would result in much savings. It's the development that makes the base set expensive when you have to design 72-90 cards.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5080 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Incarnadine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
quote:
Originally posted by Incarnadine:

But, once you design, get approval, and start printing base cards your savings is pretty much lost. I don't think printing a few thousand less base cards would result in much savings. It's the development that makes the base set expensive when you have to design 72-90 cards.

Ed

Possibly, but there would still be a big savings on shipping, a premium pack with 12 cards ( based on 3 hits, 4 inserts and 5 base) would be much cheaper to ship (both lighter and smaller) than a box with with roughly 150 cards, especially to Canada and internationally.

When checking case prices on ebay I often see shipping costs over $70 to Canada, anything that would reduce that would be of interest to me.

-Goethe

Ad pulchritudinem tria requiruntur: integritas, consonantia, claritas.
(Three things are required for beauty: wholeness, harmony, radiance.)

Posts: 5142 | Location: Vancouver/B.C./Canada | Registered: October 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post