Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    I Won...Nope i only thought i won.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Won...Nope i only thought i won.
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted
AARRGGHH!!! It's happened again. Mad

I won another ebay auction...274408815570....great stuff at a great price only to be told by the seller not to bother sending payment as he would not be sending the items. He even had the nerve to tell ebay that i had requested to cancel the win, why on earth would i do that.

Does this happen to you because it has happened to me a few times now over the years and i know that there is no point contacting ebay as they can do nothing except say please leave negative feedback.

So frustrating. Shake Head

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wolfie,

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I actually don't think that's ever happened to me before as a buyer. Probably because I don't bid on many cards at auction - most of my purchases are "Buy It Now". But as a seller I've had several times where I auctioned items only to have the buyer contact me, sometimes seconds after the auction ended, and basically command me to cancel the auction. They don't even ask nicely. Just give me an order to cancel. And so I do. There's not much more I can do besides filing a non-paying case against them. But I'm too much in fear of the retaliatory negative feedback if they are then forced to pay and actually do so. I have 100% positive on there and don't want to ruin it.

Sorry wolfie that this happened to you. It stinks but there's not much you can do besides leaving negative feedback. But the negatives could add up and become a big deal for a seller if they care about their seller reputation, their account and any perks they might receive if they aspire to be a "Top Rated Seller". So it's some form of punishment at least. But yes eBay should do more to curtail this sort of thing.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
That's never happened to me.
The closest thing was a movie poster I paid for, never received, and the seller insisted she sent three replacements for, none of which ever got here. That was in the early days of E-Bay and I let it go.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That did happen to me a couple of times long ago, as I stay away from eBay as much as possible now and only buy on there thru a third party. Both times the excuse was a problem with inventory records and they really didn't know they didn't have the card or some such double talk. Of course they would have been excellent buys for me, but at least they had the grace to lie about it.

Another popular one that I got several times was the opposite version. I lost the auction, but the seller contacts me afterwards to say that the winner backed out and, as the second highest bidder, I can have it at my last price. I almost always refused that lure unless it was a seller I truly trusted or I really needed that one card. Sure it can happen, but you know you were probably bidding up against the seller's buddy and he miscalculated how high you would go. Big Grin

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Never happened to me, but I recall about 5 years ago, an ebay seller who had up for sale approximately 100 different Mego Museum related cards (which were probably worth several hundred dollars). The auction sold for a mere $ 19.95.

I believe that the successful buyer told me that the seller tried to back out of the deal, as he thought he'd get at least $ 100 for it, and he was surprised that no one else bid.

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That hasn't happened to me in years, but every time I win something at a bargain price, I wonder if I'm going to get the email about the seller "not being able to find the item." Of course, we would suspect that either the seller expected a higher selling price or he got a higher offer after the auction.

There's a part of me that says "let it go" but that extra bit about the seller claiming that you requested to cancel the bid when you didn't would compel me to make the time to contact Ebay. They can easily check to see if you made such a request and if he got messaged by someone when the auction ended.

I would certainly leave negative feedback if the seller doesn't make good on the transaction and say what happened in the comments.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

I won another ebay auction...274408815570....great stuff at a great price only to be told by the seller not to bother sending payment as he would not be sending the items. He even had the nerve to tell ebay that i had requested to cancel the win, why on earth would i do that.

Does this happen to you because it has happened to me a few times now over the years and i know that there is no point contacting ebay as they can do nothing except say please leave negative feedback.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Another popular one that I got several times was the opposite version. I lost the auction, but the seller contacts me afterwards to say that the winner backed out and, as the second highest bidder, I can have it at my last price. I almost always refused that lure unless it was a seller I truly trusted or I really needed that one card. Sure it can happen, but you know you were probably bidding up against the seller's buddy and he miscalculated how high you would go. Big Grin

I don't know if they still do it, but that was standard practice at Ebay for a while. I received many second chance offers, and the ones I accepted I had no problems.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I don't know if they still do it, but that was standard practice at Ebay for a while. I received many second chance offers, and the ones I accepted I had no problems.

It all depends on why you got the second chance and what the bidding was like.

Sometimes the seller had a second copy to offer to the next highest bidder and liked the price, so he asked if you wanted it. Sometimes the winner really did back out or proved to be ineligible for another reason. If the price was good, you might take it as a second chance and be very happy.

But sometimes, if the bidding was a two or three horse race, the only reason why the price was being rung up that high was because there was a bidding war until someone quit or time ran out. Now let's suppose the winner was just driving it up and didn't really want it. So he drops out and you get an offer as the second highest bidder, but you only bid that high because you were bidding against someone, who maybe wasn't ever really going to buy it.

That's the problem, did you need to pay that much if the bidding was skewered to begin with? Of course if you thought all sellers were honest, especially back then, you wouldn't question it. I always questioned it. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Shill bidding is also a problem. Back when I sold on eBay, I would have people asking me about certain auctions where they seemed to know the high bidder did not pay. I never accepted any of those second bidders they were bad people, putting it nicely.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've taken second-chance offers where the offering price (my highest bid before being outbid) was lower than the average of recent sales. They've turned out okay, for mine it's almost always because the seller had an additional copy.

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:

Did they give a reason on why they were not going to send it? Not sure if it is frowned upon on here but you should post their username so others know how they operate. Agree that eBay will do nothing but definitely leave the negative feedback.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allender:
I've taken second-chance offers where the offering price (my highest bid before being outbid) was lower than the average of recent sales. They've turned out okay, for mine it's almost always because the seller had an additional copy.

I don't know how it is right now, because I pretty much stopped long ago, but there was a time when it was very easy to communicate with your eBay sellers. You could use the same people if you liked the deals and you could get messages to them thru eBay or private. You knew who you were doing business with and you trusted the good ones.

Then eBay made it harder to contact thru the stores and you had no direct communication about items unless it was monitored. Of course it was designed to keep all sales on eBay and stop side deals, but it had the opposite effect for me, as I did prefer to buy thru eBay and liked the auctions. When they also clamped down on the payment methods and took away any other options that both buyers and sellers jointly agreed upon, I quit buying on eBay.

Second chance offers can be good and were good if you knew you were paying a fair price, but some sellers are playing games and there always was shill bidding, sometimes done by the bidders alone and sometimes done with the knowledge of the sellers, depending on who it most benefited. So its something you have to watch out for whether you are the buyer or seller, probably just as much now as then.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
I've won two auctions and paid for one BIN only to have them cancelled and cash refunded because they can't/won't go to the post office due to COVID-19. All three relisted STILL with worldwide availability, but a vastly higher postage cost. One of the auctions actually went for $12 less than my winning bid.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:

Did they give a reason on why they were not going to send it?

Yes they said there had been an error. The only error was that they had listed a lot of stuff that sold for not a lot. Sellers really can use any old excuse to get out of sending auction wins. Even if they let you pay they can still refund and say the item had got damaged or lost or the cat ate it.

Winning an auction is one thing, getting the item is something else.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Had it happen to me on a case break bid. The seller cancelled all winning bids as the prices they got were too low. They got a LOT of negative feedback

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:

Did they give a reason on why they were not going to send it?

Yes they said there had been an error. The only error was that they had listed a lot of stuff that sold for not a lot. Sellers really can use any old excuse to get out of sending auction wins. Even if they let you pay they can still refund and say the item had got damaged or lost or the cat ate it.

Winning an auction is one thing, getting the item is something else.

Same thing goes for buyers though...

I've had a rash of "please cancel this" emails after they had won the auction. Can't MAKE them pay. Can't leave them negative feedback. And you risk a return if you do get them to pay for it.

eBay is still very much a "gentleman's agreement" atmosphere. Both for sellers and buyers. If one wants to play games, there's not real way to force the other party to comply.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Man you lot are unlucky.

Posts: 794 | Location: England | Registered: August 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:

If one wants to play games, there's not real way to force the other party to comply.

Ed

I know from experience that this is true but does the ebay rules try to make out that all bids etc are legally binding but when you contact them they say there is nothing they can do.

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Well he has just re-listed the stuff i won but strangely the full chase sets that were in it have disappeared. Big Grin

Picture of Nicole_oncer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Never happened to me before, however I won 2 cards ridiculous cheap and they both got 'lost' in the mail. All the other cards I bought from the seller (not so cheap) arrived without problems. When I contacted him about the Lost items he never replied. He never replied to Paypal either so after a long, long time waiting Paypal decided to refund me.

Now of course it could be a coincidence. He didn't send it with tracking so could be either way. However, since he never even had the decency to reply I do have me doubts if he actually sent to me in the first place.

Posts: 29 | Location: The Netherlands  | Registered: March 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post