Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Too many Star Wars sets
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Too many Star Wars sets
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
I have a feeling Topps desperately wants to be able to do this same kind of thing with Walking Dead and Doctor Who. The problem is those licenses can't sustain the set-a-month treatment that they give Star Wars. And I'm not sure how much longer Star Wars can sustain it either. Prices of some of the best cards you can pull seem to be trending further and further downward with each passing set.

I got 2 cases of Evolution. One case was boring. The other case was pretty much the best break I could hope for - a 1/1 signed plate (Taylor Gray as Ezra in rebels), a 1/5 Hamill and a 1/25 Park with 2 decent sketches. If I managed to sell every card in there, I think I would just cover the purchase and shipping etc. My other case comes nowhere close. It used to be that Topps cases were a bit of a lottery - could be bad, but could be amazing. The amazing end isn't there any more.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tangent:
I got 2 cases of Evolution. One case was boring. The other case was pretty much the best break I could hope for - a 1/1 signed plate (Taylor Gray as Ezra in rebels), a 1/5 Hamill and a 1/25 Park with 2 decent sketches. If I managed to sell every card in there, I think I would just cover the purchase and shipping etc. My other case comes nowhere close. It used to be that Topps cases were a bit of a lottery - could be bad, but could be amazing. The amazing end isn't there any more.

I was never a big fan of TOPPS products in particular because they are so commercial, I felt that smaller companies catered more to the collector side of the hobby. Of course TOPPS has been successful and lasting, whereas many of those small companies have come and gone, so there is probably a lesson there. Big Grin

Anyway, if you got a case with the best break ever, isn't that the idea as a collector? I would never buy a case, I know I am getting killed on value in most boxes as it is. I really don't want to make money, I'm not a seller. I just want to know that I'm paying a reasonable price for the contents I'm getting.

That is the problem for collectors in the current market. The high cards are no longer as high, the commons cards are even lower and the boxes, even with breaks off the SRP, are hovering at premium cost. It's not just Star Wars, name any popular title that has had several products made.

So yes, something is going to give sooner rather than later, because a lot of this stuff is just not sustainable. Not for collectors who are in it just for the enjoyment and certainly not for part time collector/sellers who are still under the impression that they are going to have their cards and get their money back also.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
No overproduction here, they skipped July 2016. Big Grin

They are too busy handing out free cards at Star Wars Celebration in July. Thumb Up

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Do you have any more info on the Celebration cards WOMBLE? Can't find anything myself!

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
Do you have any more info on the Celebration cards WOMBLE? Can't find anything myself!

If you know anybody who is going, Topps will be at booth N403. It looks like they will have at least one guest.
www.facebook.com/MyTopps

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
Thanks WOMBLE, I had tried facebook but searching for 'MY' Topps never crossed my mind.

I may well be going and will check out the stand if I do, but would it kill them to be a little clearer? They mention sheets but picture single cards. Codes that can be redeemed for what? What sort of guest? Roll Eyes

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
Thanks WOMBLE, I had tried facebook but searching for 'MY' Topps never crossed my mind.

I may well be going and will check out the stand if I do, but would it kill them to be a little clearer? They mention sheets but picture single cards. Codes that can be redeemed for what? What sort of guest? Roll Eyes

I would imagine the sheets are similar to those they put in the comics and recently with the Daily Mail :-
http://nonsportupdate.infopop....5604453/m/5437079186

I also think the codes may be for the mobile phone digital cards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WOMBLE,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Coming in 2017

Star Wars Galactic Files Reborn (Feb)

Rogue One Series 2 (March)

Star Wars 40th Anniversary (May)

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
The only upside I can see to the never ending onslaught of Star Wars sets is that the best stuff is getting cheaper.

With the exception of a set or two for new films, Star Wars could do with break for a few years and a different manufacturer should have a crack at the licence to give it a fresh feel.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Do we know yet what Star Wars sets are coming out after the 40th Anniversary set, which was just released in May ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
Do we know yet what Star Wars sets are coming out after the 40th Anniversary set, which was just released in May ?

Look a couple of subjects down and you will find the TOPPS on Demand Star Wars thread for the new weekly printing.

You are in luck. If you act fast I think you can still get in on the opportunity to get a practically custom made Star Wars product. Wink

I say that in jest, but really there are a few nice autographs and someone has to catch them. Smile

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
What happened to the Galactic Files Reborn set that was supposed to be this past Feb ? Did that come out ?

I am sure there will be 3-4 sets for Episode VIII coming this fall / winter

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I collect Billy Dee Williams stuff, which means 98% of my collection comes from Star Wars sets. Like many here, I love getting my needlist ready, marking cards off the list as they arrive, and browsing checklists for new sets to add new things to it. The tiresome part comes when I see the same shot time and time again in sets released years apart. These are movies with a finite number of frames with a finite number of characters. Any shot worthy of a card, well, we've seen it before. Many times.

Zooming out, though, some of the more recent sets are, from a design-standpoint, trash. They all seem to have the same blue/green/red/gray parallels, though maybe called something different; heck, I have a pile of parallels to add to my trade list that are so similar, I have no idea if they come from one of the two series, the Road To release, or something else altogether.

The latest NSU has the new releases page in it, and there is literally (I think) a SW-related set coming out every month this year.

I was also disappointed in the 40th Anniversary set. I wanted a deep-dive set that was just on A New Hope. The base set covers all eight films (to an extent), auto signers are from many of them, and the Medallions are not just ANH; yet other subsets are ANH-focused like the film cels.

The configuration of that set is just weird.

Sadly, we will see something just as odd in a few years for Empire then after that for Jedi.

Posts: 233 | Location: Mebane, NC | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
I collected the stickers from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace and never bothered with the follow ups.

Collected the widevision cards from SW:TPM and SW:ROTS. More for the novelty of the card type rather than the films or franchise.

Have toyed with collecting big franchises like Star Wars in the past but unless you're a big fan there's huge sliding scale from worthless to ridiculous and I wouldn't know where to begin.

I bought a few packs of SW: Galaxy 4 (Full name??) a few years back and pulled an Autographed Lost Yoda from a single pack purchased at a comic book store. That was a great find. Bouncey

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There's been alot of talk about how the new Star Wars film, SOLO, didn't exactly light up the box office this past weekend, either in the U.S. or internationally

With its weak showing, is interest in SW slowing down for now ? Will this affect 2018 SW card sets ?

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
There's been alot of talk about how the new Star Wars film, SOLO, didn't exactly light up the box office this past weekend, either in the U.S. or internationally

With its weak showing, is interest in SW slowing down for now ? Will this affect 2018 SW card sets ?

With the SOLO film being arguably - and sadly for fans and those involved in its production - the biggest flop in the franchises history - I think production for merchandise will be scaled back either in quantity, or if not yet in production might be cancelled all together.

Not the cards but other more generic merchandise. There's just not very much interest in it.

I think the studios over did the production of the films back to back so the interest waned in an over saturated market.

This is what happens when Disney buys your film company out. Twak

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Topps has Last Jedi 2 coming June 20 !

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Topps has Last Jedi 2 coming June 20

Less than a year after LJ1?!

I've created a thread for Last Jedi 2 with photos and press sheet information, with a downloadable PDF.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TC00,

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And if that wasn't enough, you have:

Star Wars Archives (1 card per box) in July

Star Wars Galactic Files 2018 (August)

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
That's crazy. How do they even managed to plan 3 simultaneous releases? Eek