Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Too many Star Wars sets
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Too many Star Wars sets
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
Originally posted by X:

Ford went from a $10,000 card in 2007 for his debut auto, to sub $1,000 with Stellar 3 in 2019.

I bet the folks who bought in 2007 feel really good about their purchases now.

Well, a fool and his money...

That said, who knew Ford would do 400 on-card autos in the last 3 years? It's been 10 years since his first auto card and up to 2017 (when Stellar 1 came out), his cards were always rare as hen's teeth and sold for thousands all day long.

Even so, as a collectible, his Star Wars 30th 'rookie' auto is still a cool, desirable and valuable card that many big SW collectors would still shell out big money for.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: X,

Posts: 3136 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Having read through this thread again while also considering a purchase of a recent Star Wars box, what sets might be considered desirable 15-20 years from now? Which ones would stand out from the cloud of releases since the early 2000's? I'm not really asking what you think is the most valuable moneywise - more like your favorite(s)(or one or more that were less like a retread if you like) or the ones you would buy if you saw a great deal on a box sometime in the future. Maybe this question should be a separate thread but it seems to be a natural to add it to this discussion.

I think people are still going to like Empire Strikes Back Widevision 3D with its 1-per box sketch. The base cards looked great and those that were luckier to get an autograph are going to look back fondly at it.

I don't have any cards but the Illustrated sets of 2013 and 2015 have a great look. They were a different spin in a sea of recycled border types and movie stills. The ESB one would be the more desirable with its additional hit.

"The Mandalorian: Season 1" has sold out and dealers keep raising the price on a sealed box even though the odds of getting anything close to the value worsen with every jump in price. However, the cards are nice and if you get a rarer autograph, you would have something good whether you want to keep or sell it by 2040.

Did one of the Star Wars Galaxy sets (4-8, plus two Chrome) of the past 15 years stand out from the others? I don't have any of those cards either (just near-sets from the first two from the 90's).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4382 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think the SW sets are slowing down. I don't think many "traditional" pack sets came out in 2023. Maybe 4 or 5 ? Or less ? There were many more in years past.

And so far I don't think Topps has anything listed for 2024...yet.

Posts: 4003 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Did one of the Star Wars Galaxy sets (4-8, plus two Chrome) of the past 15 years stand out from the others?

I believe it was Galaxy 6 that was criminally under-ordered and under-produced resulting in loaded boxes.

As far as too many sets, I think the problem now is too many underwhelming sets. They may not be coming as fast and furious as they were, but Fanatics seems hell-bent on destroying interest in the Star Wars brand with less hits, odd configurations and overall poor value. They're catering to breaker culture which is mostly rip-and-flip mentality, which will not sustain.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
I would think that most if not all of the mosh pit sets wont hold any sort of long term love or loyalty with collectors. I wouldn't include art sets such as Galaxy in that mix.

The new shows are offering specific title options but so far only the first Mandalorian set cause me to be excited enough to jump.

I agree with Ted that the bulk of releases have no spark to them. Except for the chosen few, autographs have saturated the market.

I thought the Black and White sets were nice.

Posts: 4853 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post