Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Panini Golden Age 2013
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Panini Golden Age 2013
 Login/Join

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted
Looking for a fun product to open packs of this summer, try Panini Golden Age. These are baseball cards, but with a decidedly non-sports twist.
I bought one pack just to check them out, got 6 cards. Only 2 were baseball, Wally Pipp, a 1925 player, and Erin Blunt from the Bad News Bears movie. Other base cards included Riva Ridge, thoroughbred racehorse, and Flight 19, the Navy Avengers that disappeared in the Burmuda Triangle in 1945, plus I got a mini card with Lana Turner.

The big surprise, an autograph of Barry Livingston, one of the kids from My Three Sons, it's signed on the card too, not a sticker. I don't expect to find another hit like this, but I plan to get more packs, a fun set.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Those sound like fun!

Where did you find them?

Reliving my childhood one piece of painted plastic and slab of cardboard at a time.

Posts: 971 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I believe this is the 3rd year for these. I bought a box of last year's edition, the 2012 issue and it had a nice mix of sports and non sports subjects including a nice 3 card set for the Three Stooges in the base set which is also issued in a mini card parallel version.

The cards are handsomely designed in old fashioned style and have a flat surface, so they are ideal for any autographs you can get on them.

There were some really nice box toppers in those, too, including vintage style cloth pennants or oversized (non sports) memorabilia cards.

All autographs are on card. There was a particularly nice Barbara Eden as Jeannie and Dawn Wells as Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island in the 2012 set, although I got a early Nascar driver autograph and a Thurman Munson jersey card as my hits, so not so great from a non-sports standpoint, but I'll definitely get a box of the new set. I'm glad the brand is continuing.

Posts: 3319 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I don't mind the hodge podge products where they mix a bunch of autographs from actors, singers, musicians, politicans, reality TV stars, etc. They can be fun.

However, since I quit doing sportscards I stay away from products that mix up sport and non-sport names. I just have no interest in pulling autographs or jerseys from sport figures anymore. Well maybe a Tiger Woods autograph, but he's not signing anything. Big Grin

Posts: 10385 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Okay, after yesterday's lucky pull from one pack, I went back to my local card shop today for more. Bought 6 packs. Half the box was already gone. so I didn't expect any more hits, but I like these anyway.
Pulled another auto - Bobby Hull, famous Hockey player. So that's 2 autos out of 7 packs from one box.
Also got a bread label card, a card with 4 corners cut out like a old fashioned bread label, and 2 playing cards, one with Evel Knievel on it. Mini cards include John L. Sullivan, Buckwheat from the Little Rascals, War Admiral - famous race horse.
The base cards have many sports, boxing, football, golf, and many baseball, but since Panini does not have license for these teams, the baseball caps and uniforms have no logos on them!
Non sport base includes Abe Lincoln, Alexander Grahm Bell,Rocky Marciano, Lana Turner, Mario Andretti, and Joe Frazier. I've got 3 of the Bad News Bears actors now.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Holy smokes! A Bobby Hull auto! Nice!

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Thanks Barrett - yes, I was pretty happy, I opened the pack in the car and had to go back in the store and show it to the guy that sold it to me.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The "Bad News Bears" cards are a selling point in the product. These are the first cards of those character from the popular 1970's series of Little League movies.

Trading cards of that scrappy but lovable ragtag bunch of misfit players who always found a way to beat the odds may have taken 35 years or so to get here, but the Bears have done it again and finally made it onto cards.

Posts: 3319 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fuchaldream
posted Hide Post
We bought two boxes of these today at my local shop. Just needed to bust something, and I would love a Tatum O'Neal auto to go with my Kristy McNichol autos.

No dice on the O'Neal, but we did okay. We got a Carole Lombard relic and a Mario Andretti auto in the first box. In the second, we got a Dave Bancroft (MLB SS) game-used bat card, a Sam McDowell (MLB pitcher) auto, and a Henry Winkler (as the Fonz) auto.

It seems like the Bad News Bears base cards are relatively easy to get. We got all of them in two boxes along with a couple of miniature versions, plus a Tatum O'Neal box topper (larger card).

Overall, it is a neat set, but I would not buy if your interests are not varied. There is a lot of random stuff in here: race car drivers, jockeys and horses, actors, baseball players, boxers, presidents...

We liked it.

Posts: 275 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Panini was a Comic Con this year with a little more lead time then last year (when a spot opened up for them about a week before the convention) so they had a nice selection of packs and singles (existing products, though, not promos) that they were giving out, including One Direction packs, Basketball and Football card packs, and best of all for non-sport fans, packs of the latest version of Studio Americana and this year's Golden Age.
From those, I saw more of the base cards, and Twilight Zone fans, there's a great one of Rod Serling, plus Evel Knievel, Bob Denver as Gilligan, Greg and Jan Brady, and more. I'll definitely be picking up a box or two of this 2013 Golden Age set at some point.

Thanks to Panini for providing a nice card manufacturer presence us at Comic-Con. They make great looking cards and stickers and were generous with samples and packs for attendees, plus when I mentioned how nice the President cards were in the new Americana set, the fellow who actually wrote the card back copy on those gave me a nice little stack of the proof versions of some of the President cards.

Hopefully, they be back next year and make a show exclusive promo or two.