Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The hidden horde
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted
It occurred to me while watching this forum recently that we have a huge "silent majority" of members out there that hover in the background and are strictly "watchers". It's not hard to work out that 90% of contributions to this forum come from 10% of the members. Look at three recent posts to demonstrate what I mean. The "Steve from Rittenhouse" post attracted 170 readers but only 1 commentator. The "Hologram" post had 149 readers and only 2 posters and finally my own post about my crappy week reached 184 readers but just two people willing to pass comment. Meanwhile the same regular posters are always here and keen to post on just about anything (yes, me included of course)
So who are these people and why is it that they can find the time to log in read current comment but are not motivated to even comment occasionally? How do we tempt them out of the shadows and into (what could be) much more animated discussions on the boards?

We need more Wolfies!!!

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I post when I have something to say...

otim

Posts: 700 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salama
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:

We need more Wolfies!!!

Haha, there can only be one Wolfie Wink
When it comes to log in I use the automatic login, so when I click on the NSU card talk site it will automatically log me in, maybe some people didn´t know that.

Posts: 188 | Location: Finland | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
I would think that those who are not responding to certain posts don't because of 2 reasons:
1) The topic doesn't relate to them
2) The topic is just, how can I be politically correct - stupid.
That's how I feel most of the time. If it has nothing to do with the way I collect, what I collect or my collecting habits, I won't respond. Those posts that I read that make no sense to me or are just outright ridiculous, I won't respond because I won't waste my time or I just want to avoid conflict.
I usually read every post every few days, but it doesn't mean we all have to respond to each post.
Thanks.

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I second the fact that I have rarely anything to say.
I have no interest in recent card releases like Vampire Diaries, Dexter, or anything comic related.

The last time I busted boxes was in the summer, and they were from 6 years ago.....

On a side note, I've noticed less people are now posting, but wouldn't say that its a bad thing.

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I think for a lot of the times, I read a post and then if I have nothing to say about it, I don't.
I went back and read your "worst week ever" post. All I could really say is, "Sorry to hear that". Not really worth posting.
The "hologram" post I did not have the information you needed so I couldn't post.

It all depends on the subject. Smallville cards topics, Twilight zone cards topics, yep I am there cause that is what my main card focus is. Trading section. I look and post when I can trade.

One thing I rarely do. If I have never met someone or don't know them. When the "So and So" die post comes up there is no reason for me to comment. I don't watch football, basketball or baseball so I don't comment on those subjects.
And here is the big one. When a new set info comes up I read about it and then decide if I am going to buy it. So, I read the post (maybe multiple times) and if I don't decided to go after it, I am likely not going to post.

And we don't need more Wolfies clogging up the site if there is nothing to say and it is just to post to increase post count.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Why do I "watch"? I enjoying trading cards but can't afford cases or even boxes all the time. I'm mostly a bargain bin person with a limited budget who enjoys just the base cards. Thus I not really into autos, or sketchs, or pieceworks. And many of the newer sets with busty women or assorted dead parts & gore are not really suitable for children who are always looking through my binders of cards with wide eyed fascination.

So while I enjoy "watching" comments those who collect more than I ever will, I have few comments myself. And if posting were a requirement of this site, I never would have joined.

Oh, and on a side note, I have similar reasons for not wanting to participate in the Secret Santa. And my work schedule prevents me from attending weekend shows. So stop with the negative remarks about those of us who choose not to post, or to parcitipate in some things. You don't what is happening in our lives.

Posts: 717 | Location: Washington, PA | Registered: June 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
That is the other thing. With thousands of different people on the site there is always someone that will disagree with you and whines. "You hurt my feelings! You don't know me. Cry, cry, cry." The need to be PC with every word or sentence I know have ran off many posters who I chat with offsite.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RedFive
posted Hide Post
What usually happens for me is that someone has already posted what I would have said, so instead of posting "ditto", I just do not post.

Posts: 440 | Location: USA | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Maybe a little off topic but I've always thought someone (a Psychologist) could write a book on the this sort of thing.

You don't know how many times over the years I have heard people tell me (as the forum admin) "I'm a thread killer". They are self-conscious as no one has posted after they do.

Another thing people do. They post and then go back and click refresh every 5 minutes to see if someone has commented on what they say. I think nearly everyone does it. Now we do it on Facebook and other social sites too.

But back to the topic....I have always thought there were two kinds of people...those who are inclined to post and those who are more inclined to read what others have posted. I'll often hear from people who tell me they read something but didn't want to post for one reason or another.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:

We need more Wolfies!!!

well you can't argue with that. Thumb Up

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:

And we don't need more Wolfies clogging up the site if there is nothing to say and it is just to post to increase post count.

Oh, apparantly you can. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been increasing my posts lately, it's fun getting more involved in the conversation.

Posts: 457 | Location: Raleigh | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
I wasn't being negative of anybody and my first post was strictly an observation not a criticism of those who (for various reasons) choose not to post. Having said that, this forum would be a lot duller if it wasn't for Wolfie and in any case as John (above) has discovered, getting involved can actually turn out to be fun. Go on, dip your toe in the water!!

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I post a lot, but only if I have something say. I try to keep it down to one post in a thread unless someone makes a comment aimed directly at me (I can't help answering Big Grin) or if additional information comes out that makes me want to say more. There are threads and sections of the forum where you will never find my name because I don't collect it or I don't know anything about it. I don't see anything wrong with frivolous subjects, no one has to read it or respond if they don't want to.

It is important for people to post because we can have no conversations without opinions and the same opinions get stale. I do understand that some people might be leary of posting because of the risk of critism from others who think they know better. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, but I do believe Card Talk has gotten a lot friendlier than even a couple of years ago. That's not to say that there aren't disagreements, but as long as it's civil it's helpful to get ideas from others and you learn things you wouldn't have know. And there are many members who are happy to assist or give advice on specific questions.

Bottom line is that Card Talk should be both instructional and fun for non-sport card collectors. I would like it if we heard from new members, its just more to read. And I don't mind it when subjects go off topic either because isn't that what we are supposed to be doing, talking to each other? Smile

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Well said Raven old chap. Clap

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
That is the other thing. With thousands of different people on the site there is always someone that will disagree with you and whines. "You hurt my feelings! You don't know me. Cry, cry, cry." The need to be PC with every word or sentence I know have ran off many posters who I chat with offsite.

Very good points!

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of MvG
posted Hide Post
I like to read the comments but most of the time I am just too lazy to respond ... Twak

Posts: 792 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: April 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of riddickfan
posted Hide Post
I read posts......mostly. Smile

Posts: 1491 | Location: Panama City Beach,FL | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Guess there could be a few reasons:

1. Reader has nothing relevant to contribute.

2. Reader may be new and either anxious/not
knowledgable enough to express their thoughts.

3. Some people may be logging on late a night or during work break and don't have time to log in and reply.

4. Similarly some people don't check into the forums as reguarly as others.

5. Some individuals fear confrontation or alternatively don't like being corrected/taking criticism so don't bother to post.

6. We're happily an international community and some of our members may not have a strong grasp of English - the primary/only language used on the forums so contribution may be limited.

7. I know from my own contributions that a topic may be very short lived once a question is answered/problem is resolved. People may continue to read because it's of interest to them but there's nothing left to add.

Cannot think of anything else at the moment Big Grin

Will be sure to post again if I do. Happy with my bronze status but want to get to the next tier.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post