Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The hidden horde
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of goldenavenger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC00:
Guess there could be a few reasons:

1. Reader has nothing relevant to contribute.

2. Reader may be new and either anxious/not
knowledgable enough to express their thoughts.

3. Some people may be logging on late a night or during work break and don't have time to log in and reply.

4. Similarly some people don't check into the forums as reguarly as others.

5. Some individuals fear confrontation or alternatively don't like being corrected/taking criticism so don't bother to post.

6. We're happily an international community and some of our members may not have a strong grasp of English - the primary/only language used on the forums so contribution may be limited.

7. I know from my own contributions that a topic may be very short lived once a question is answered/problem is resolved. People may continue to read because it's of interest to them but there's nothing left to add.

Cannot think of anything else at the moment Big Grin

Will be sure to post again if I do. Happy with my bronze status but want to get to the next tier.

Ditto to the above. Surf

I read 85-90% of the threads but I'll only post if I can add something more than what's already been posted. I guess the main reason for coming here is to read updates or breaking news on card sets. And next is to help with anyone's questions about the hobby, so if the question has already been answered than there's no need to post unless it's opinion based and the person asking wants to hear from a larger group to see what's the highest percentage. Maybe I should have stuck with.....

Ditto to the above. Surf

http://www.comicartfans.com/Ga...etail.asp?GCat=25744

Posts: 1841 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: April 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Zero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H_Toser:
Maybe a little off topic but I've always thought someone (a Psychologist) could write a book on the this sort of thing.

You don't know how many times over the years I have heard people tell me (as the forum admin) "I'm a thread killer". They are self-conscious as no one has posted after they do.

Ha, nice to know its not just me that thinks that!

To be honest there are a hell of a lot of posts (on all forums, not just here) that are utterly pointless. Someone mentioned posters simply upping there post count and this can be the only reason for a lot of posts. Makes finding the interesting stuff more of a chore. I mostly try and keep mine to a mimimum and only post if I think its adds to the discussion. That, of course, is a matter of opinion.Smile

Now lets see if any one else posts after this....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Zero,

Posts: 191 | Location: Cheshire, UK | Registered: January 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zero:

To be honest there are a hell of a lot of posts that are utterly pointless.

Thank you. Wavey

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Zero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by Zero:

To be honest there are a hell of a lot of posts that are utterly pointless.

Thank you. Wavey

Thumb Up You're very welcome Wolfie! Big Grin

Posts: 191 | Location: Cheshire, UK | Registered: January 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think perhaps some of us are newer, and so my knowledge is limited to just the last few months, when I began collecting cards.

Posts: 90 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doc Floyd
posted Hide Post
I'm just lazy.

Really though, I only post a reply if I have something to say/add about the subject in particular.

Post flooding to get my count up is something I might would have done years ago, when I first started using the internet regularly, but not anymore.

Because everyone knows that a higher posting level makes you cooler Wink

Posts: 147 | Location: NC | Registered: October 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think this is much better than seeing threads filled with nonsense or trolling replies which makes them hard to read and to search. In some local forums I frequent, many good threads were locked or deleted by moderators because of some people's replies. And some new moderators are enjoying the new found power and execute the action with just a few error on the member's part.

On the bad side, this discourage other members, especially the new ones to participate, seeing the slow and bland direction of a thread.

Anyway, I think the main reason is that card-collecting hobby is dying very fast. In our country, I think it's already dead despite the presence of card shops mainly due to the game cards. Children now are more interested in computer games and other tech-related hobbies such as blogging, Tweeting and FBing. And most old collectors have outgrown their hobby and are disposing their collection for extra cash. But the main killer for the hobby is the ridiculously high price of the packs but with luster-lacking inserts and too difficult to pull but not enough beauty nor attractiveness to entice collectors. And oh, let's not forget the absence of creativity to release new type of inserts.

You guys living in the US are very lucky that the hobby is still somehow surviving because of the the autographs and used material inserts, and Hollywood is located there aside from the major sports organizations.

And oh, I'm still waiting for other people's reply to my hologram thread. Anyone? Smile Bouncey Bouncey Bouncey

Posts: 69 | Location: Earth | Registered: November 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
juke, we worry about the death of the hobby in your country of "Earth". Big Grin

So let me be a thread-killer. Kids stopped getting drawn into the hobby after cards stopped being distributed to the convenience and grocery stores. Yes, computer games took away a lot of that market starting 20 years ago. We kept strength in the "hobby" end with specialty and higher priced items, but the core recruits who might stay with us for a lifetime aren't being recruited through the "retail" outlets.

It's getting almost impossible now that everything is electronic. E-readers and tablets are starting to kill the market for printed books, and I'll resist getting one for that purpose for a couple more years.

A good poll question might be how many of us on this forum are now spending most of our card-collecting time sitting at a computer?

Posts: 2424 | Location: North Augusta, SC, USA | Registered: November 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
While I enjoy reading a lot of the posts, most are about sets or topics that are not on the top of my list. I try to commnent only when I feel I will be contributing to the topic. I am also a bit shy, and feel my opinions do not matter all that much. These are also tough times for me (Was recently laid off from work, still no power from the Huricane in NJ) so maybe posting will be good to talk about the joys of card collecting and happines it brings me.

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
Hey AWR, great post! Never be too shy to have your two cents worth. This forum is only kept alive by posters and you simply cannot have too many of those, so feel free to jump right in any time the mood takes you. You are quite right card collecting does bring much happiness and like you, when money is tight (isn't it always?) I can still get a huge amount of pleasure from simply pulling a random ring-binder off the shelf and reading some card backs and admiring the art-work.
Hope that you get some power soon!

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@allender

We don't have hobby cards in the grocery stores here. They are all sold in hobby shops. But those hobby shops are now gone, only a few ones survived, but due to the gaming cards. A few weeks ago I search for shops that sell acrylic cases. I only found one store and it only has one on stock. I ended up looking for photo frames and luckily I found some magnetic acrylic photo frames.

Honestly, I'm still new to non-sports cards collecting (I only collected NBA cards and a few Marvel cards during the 90's and stopped) but I won't be buying some anytime soon. Despite knowing the card hobby locally is already dead, I still purchased some cards because of the joy they bring. I bought them not for their market value but seeing them in your display and knowing that you own them gives unexplained happiness from within. Smile

And this computer stuff, they take away from children the pleasure of playing outside and interacting with real people, moreso the joy of hobby collecting.

Posts: 69 | Location: Earth | Registered: November 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post