Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    What to do with nonsport cards no one seems to want
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with nonsport cards no one seems to want
 Login/Join

posted
Hi everyone. I've been listing mycards to find new homes for them as I'm no longer collecting. I just need most of them to go. But what to do besides annoying eBay listings for things. Most of them are items that have tons of eBay listings so it just doesn't pay and I'm to really looking sell these cards.

Any ideas??? No my local card shop doesn't want them.

Posts: 62 | Location: New York | Registered: March 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I volunteer in a charity shop for our local hospice. I donate my spare cards to the shop and sell them to the people who come in.

This makes money for the charity, stops them taking up too much space in the house and puts cards into the hands of people who did not know they existed.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I gave away a load of cards at Christmas to my young Nieces and Nephews they loved them. Maybe one day it will start them off on their own collecting journey.

Posts: 120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: June 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Are you just looking to get rid of the cards, or do you want some money for them?

If you want money for the cards, and individual cards have value you can try Check out My Cards, some people have had luck on there. You can also try some one the dealers on here to see if they would be interested, I think there are some dealers in the New York area. You can also try selling on some Facebook non-sport groups. I am not sure how effective that is. If you want to sell in a bulk large lot you can try to sell locally on craigslist.

If you don't want money you can donate them to Goodwill, give them away at Halloween, etc. I personally have never been able to find a place that wanted bulk donations of cards, and sadly I've thrown away tens of thousands of cards.

A couple of years ago I sold off nearly all of my base sets, and I went to The National Sports Card convention -- a number of dealers there said they were interested, and several thought my price was fair, but ultimately no one wanted to transport them. . . I ended up selling to a local dealer -- my asking price was effectively the cost of the supplies (plastic snap boxes, and 5-row cardboard boxes) used to house all the sets.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
I personally have never been able to find a place that wanted bulk donations of cards, and sadly I've thrown away tens of thousands of cards.

For some reason card collectors are reluctant to admit to that reality, so I'll be as honest as you and say me too. Big Grin

I have even tried just to give cards away to the neighborhood kids over the years. Even if you find some kids that are interested, their parents are never happy about it, more junk in their rooms. Wink

Hospitals, schools, the Salvation Army, even thrift stores don't want bulk common cards. Not even for free. That's just the truth.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
If you have a "Savers" locally (it's a thrift store like Goodwill), you can donate them there and they will sell them. They put random stacks of cards in little baggies and hang them up on a wall with other similarly packaged small items like stuff animals, Happy Meal toys, die-cast cars, and the like. They don't go to waste this way, and who know, you could help make a new collector or two...

Posts: 3317 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of willgull
posted Hide Post
if they are kid friendly cards I will gladly take them off your hands and pass them out at community functions I am part of (Police Officer that I am)

Posts: 809 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
I have a TON of base cards of non-kid friendly cards. I don't know what to do with them. I want them gone, but don't want to throw them away. I've got Vampire Diaries, Game of Thrones, Psych, Penny Dreadful, Dr Who, etc etc. I can't ship them, too expensive. If there is anyone in MD that is willing to meet up, I'm willing to give them to you if you are interested.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of <<<<ALDO_NOVA>>>>
posted Hide Post
It's when you have too many that seem to get in the way all the time, plus, the cards have pretty much lost most of their value when a tv show, movie or other craze has passed and nobody really wants them any more! I've trashed cards in the past, as it costs too much to mail them somewhere to get very little back for it, in reality you are the loser! It's an age old question isn't it?

Posts: 217 | Location: Where you can't find me!!!!!! | Registered: August 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Tough if you're determined to sell over giving away but don't want to spend time Ebaying.

Have you considered setting up a table at a local fair or convention or as part of a garage sale and selling at cut prices or bulk sales?

If they're sets and cards with little interest making money is a tough thing to do. Cards are like cars you rarely make your money back or a profit on the re-sale unless it's something special.

For Ebay you could do a single Buy It Now listing and list each of the sets / singles for individual sale, for a fair price and adjust shipping for heavier sets.

When I stopped collecting for a few years (now resuming), I just did a big give away of about 2,000 cards. Most were base or promos that people wouldn't pay (much) for so it was the best option for me.

Hopefully you'll find the best option for you. Good luck.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Never throw away a base card that isn't damaged in some was (that's my motto) base cards were made to swap (trade) I still need many to complete sets, they should just start making them rarer to be appreciated more.

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
Yeah people don't appreciate base sets like they used to but I guess the 'value' in the eyes of some collects (and certainly dealers) has shifted as the chase cards have gotten 'flashier' and some ridiculously priced. Plus internet makes it easy to put down cheap on a whole bunch of chase sets at once instead of accumulating them a few cards at a time ie collecting not purchasing them.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post