Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Strasburg
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
I know this is not a sport site but can anyone help me out here, I bought an Upper Deck World of Sport stars box and got a Stephen Strasburg dual autograph with Tony Gwynn #1/50
I know he's a popular player, would this card be valuable or not ?

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
Card 24/50 just sold for $52.78 if you have 01/50, it would carry a slight premium, but I would hold off on selling until he did something noteworthy as these cards tend to spike with a great performance. Would have been much nicer if it was the dual with Bryce Harper. Razz

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I agree with igman...you probably want to hold onto, and try to pay attention to headlines with him...if he throws a no hitter or something you'll get a spike in prices and could get more for it.

Posts: 860 | Location: Alaska | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Strasburg came up as the next superstar. His first autographed prism rookie card, I forget which product it was in, was trading for something insane like $12,000. Then no sooner did he pitch a few months throwing those 100 mph fastballs and he blew out his arm.

He was out for a whole year and he is now trying to make it back. He is still pretty young and I think he is winning some games, but the arm is suspect.

I would hold on to the card because its really not going to get you a lot right now and there is the chance that he might regain his form and become the ace pitcher he was supposed to be. If not, you are not losing a lot.

Not like those people that spent hundreds and thousands on cards of a rookie pitcher that was going to break all the records. Yeah, sure. Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
I'd definitely hold it until next season which starts in April, 2014. The Washington Nationals had a disappointing year, but have a lot of talent, and should bounce back. Strasburg only has 7 wins this year, pretty mediocre, but if he has 15 or more wins this time next year, and the Nationals are still in the playoff race, the card will probably be worth double of what it is now.

It's always good to have the #1 serial numbered card (and also serial numbers matching the jersey number of the athletes depicted). Those serial numbers will increase value pretty much any time you sell it. There are some sports collectors on this board. You can probably get $50 of nonsports cards (or more) for it if you invite trade offers for it.

Tony Gwynn is one of the greatest hitters ever, and rightfully was elected to the Hall of Fame in his first try. I'm not sure why they paired him with Strasburg on a card, though. Maybe they went to the same college or something.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Tony Gwynn is one of the greatest hitters ever, and rightfully was elected to the Hall of Fame in his first try. I'm not sure why they paired him with Strasburg on a card, though. Maybe they went to the same college or something.

They did. They both attended San Diego State. Gwynn has been the head baseball coach there since 2003 so Strasburg played under him.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Very good information, Logan, and an excellent reason for pairing the two on one card.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tony Gwynn is one of the greatest hitters ever, and rightfully was elected to the Hall of Fame in his first try.

You got that right! He was my favorite baseball player and the best hitter of my time so far. On top of that he is a really nice guy! What igman said is right. If you were to sell this right now I would think you would be around $75 with it being #1.

Now if you want to trade it I may be interested Wave

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
quote:

I sure wouldn't want to play under Tony Gwynn...that's a hefty boy. Razz

I will never forget the firt time I heard him talk on TV, he was wishing Frank Thomas to get well as the all star game wouldn't be the same without him. The memorable part about it was the sound of his voice...NOT what I would have imagined, more like a comedian's spoof on a white person's vioce.
They did. They both attended San Diego State. Gwynn has been the head baseball coach there since 2003 so Strasburg played under him.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the reply's guys Wink

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post