Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Good old fashioned Card fun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good old fashioned Card fun
 Login/Join

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted
Saturday I stopped by my local comic shop, he does not have cards, but I can often find a comic I like. He walks up to me with a big 18 inch long card box and says "Thought you might like going through this." I looked inside and box was full of 70's cards. He didn't want anything for it, I did give him $5 though. The box was in a bunch of comics and action figures they got in a trade.
Took me 2 afternoons to sort it all out, more than 3/4 of box was Star Wars 70's stuff, a few series 1, and about 100 each of Series 2 and 3, and maybe 250 Series 4. Put together a set minus 1 card of Series 2, Series 3 was missing 3 cards, and Series 4 was complete. No stickers, and some cards were in bad shape, including the worst offcut cards I ever saw, which must have been done at the plant.
Other sets included smatterings of as many as 40 cards, and some only one card, Superman 2, Charlies Angels,Mork and Mindy, Black Hole, Close Encounters, Jaws 2, Grease and 1 Rocky 2 .
Some of these included stickers, and most were in better shape than the Star Wars.
Even though there were no big hits, it was fun sorting out hundreds of cards, building sets. Other than the Jaws 2 and Charlies Angels, I did not have any of these, so will try to complete the Star Wars, the Red and Green sets will need a few upgrades, but Yellow is finished, mostly ex-Vg.

Posts: 2914 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Another hobby collector bite the dust, me thinks. At least it will not go to waste.

Local hobby stores and dealers would just as soon give that sort of stuff away or throw it out than store it or put it on a shelf. That's why card collectors who might value it can't find it. Ironic ain't it? Big Grin

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That kind of thing is fun and even better when it's a big box. That was back when the "big hit" was the sticker you didn't have. There are sets that I think about working on but if I stumble onto a partial set of something interesting in a mixed lot like you did, then I can just go from there, letting my lucky finds determine what I work on.

A couple of months ago, a flea market seller had a small shoebox of cards to go through. I picked out an X-Men Series 2 "Toy Biz" card (didn't have that one), a Batman Forever soundtrack promo card, an Action Masters "Legends Batman," a Star Wars Wonder Bread "Millennium Falcon" card, and a 70's Odd Rods "El Camino" card - all for about a buck per card.

At another flea market a guy had a bunch of those slabbed Wizard magazine cards and I bought a couple of those for a buck a piece.

Jess

Edit: I think the Odd Rods sticker is Fantastic Odd Rods Series 2. It's #53 El Camino.

quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
Saturday I stopped by my local comic shop, he does not have cards, but I can often find a comic I like. He walks up to me with a big 18 inch long card box and says "Thought you might like going through this." I looked inside and box was full of 70's cards. He didn't want anything for it, I did give him $5 though. The box was in a bunch of comics and action figures they got in a trade.
Took me 2 afternoons to sort it all out, more than 3/4 of box was Star Wars 70's stuff, a few series 1, and about 100 each of Series 2 and 3, and maybe 250 Series 4. Put together a set minus 1 card of Series 2, Series 3 was missing 3 cards, and Series 4 was complete. No stickers, and some cards were in bad shape, including the worst offcut cards I ever saw, which must have been done at the plant.
Other sets included smatterings of as many as 40 cards, and some only one card, Superman 2, Charlies Angels,Mork and Mindy, Black Hole, Close Encounters, Jaws 2, Grease and 1 Rocky 2 .
Some of these included stickers, and most were in better shape than the Star Wars.
Even though there were no big hits, it was fun sorting out hundreds of cards, building sets. Other than the Jaws 2 and Charlies Angels, I did not have any of these, so will try to complete the Star Wars, the Red and Green sets will need a few upgrades, but Yellow is finished, mostly ex-Vg.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post