Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    customs charges on good less than threshold/allowance?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

customs charges on good less than threshold/allowance?
 Login/Join

posted
i see customs charges are being imposed by the automatic customs charging even when the value of the goods would not incur customs charges. So where is that money going if the customs wouldn't have asked or expected it on that value?

on a £15 card there was $9 customs charge.

i asked the seller and he said its nothing to do with him.

from hmrc site

"You don’t pay Customs Duty if you owe less than £9."

https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-g...-from-outside-the-eu

...if you can count them you haven't got enough.

Posts: 167 | Location: uk | Registered: December 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
that sounds like the global shipping programme, it's a great get out for the sellers as it is nothing to do with them but it is totally useless for loads of buyers getting the lower end purchases.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if the money is not expected by customs despite it being collected on the pretext of customs one wonders where it is going?

Posts: 167 | Location: uk | Registered: December 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Customs duty only applies for amounts above £135. What you have to pay is VAT at 20%, this only applies to items bought above £15. So if you card cost was exactly £15 you shouldnt pay anything.

However I often find the seller adds the costs of postage and package on the declaration form taking it over the limit.

If it was the global shipping programme they charge you fees and shipping costs ontop of the actual vat you pay.

Posts: 120 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: June 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lol vat on post and packing. yes its the global shipping thingy

posted Hide Post
i did have one guy put on the customs form not what i paid but what he thought it was worth according to some book which was three times what i paid for it. lolo what fun explaining that one.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
Totally avoid US sellers using the GSP on items which would not normally incur charges. Total ripoff doesnt even cover it!

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
the E-Bay selling fee is calculated including P&P as well! The killer is when you get a £2 VAT fee and £8 Handling charge from Royal Mail Shake Head

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I just had a custom charge or a single card for £22.30, that's 22 items in the pound shop plus 30p

Posts: 1212 | Location: u.k. | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR2D2
posted Hide Post
Any US seller using the GSP simply does not get my business. If I see GSP on a listing I move on. Shame because it should not affect a seller whether they use it or not. They say what the GSP charges is out of there hands but so is customs at the other end of the deal so why should it make a difference to seller being involved in the GSP in the first place.

I wonder if anyone ever did any research to see if GSP has affected international sales. My bet is that the GSP has a negative effect on sellers.

Posts: 318 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JR2D2:

Any seller using the GSP simply does not get my business. If I see GSP on a listing I move on.

Same here, I will not touch an auction using this system.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post