Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Card Discussion    Ebay is Lowering (Raising) its fees for Spring 2013
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ebay is Lowering (Raising) its fees for Spring 2013
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi_Collector
posted
Good luck selling on ebay

Posts: 1602 | Location: Nevada | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Scifi_Collector:
Did anyone receive the latest email from ebay?

Mine starts off with:
2013 SPRING SELLER UPDATE

Up to 150 FREE listings* every month and 17% lower fees for you!
Plus, the final value fees for Stores will be streamlined to just 5 competitive category-based rates as low as 4% (and never more than 9%)—regardless of how you sell.

Great news for you! Based on your recent selling activity, your fees will be 17% lower than they are today..

Ok so I have an ebay store and Most of my items sell for less than $50 and I only sell Non-Sport Cards. So I used the ebay Fee calculator to see how accurate the email is:

Estimated fees for this item:
Type of fee Current Fee
Insertion fee: $0.20
Final value fee: $5.50
Total estimated fees: $5.70

New Fee:
Insertion fee: $0.00
Final value fee: $4.50
Total estimated fees: $4.50

Woohoo, I will save money!!! It's only $1.20 but I will take it.

Ok so what's the Catch.

Well Sometimes I sell items for $1000.00 and look what happens:
Type of fee Current Fee
Final value fee: $62.50
Total estimated fees: $62.70

Type of fee New Fee
Final value fee: $90.00
Total estimated fees: $90.00

Are you kidding me!!a $27.30 increase

Lets try $2000.00
Type of fee Current Fee
Final value fee: $82.50
Total estimated fees: $82.70

Type of fee Current Fee New Fee
Final value fee:$180.00
Total estimated fees:$180.00

check it out a 120% fee increase.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Scifi_Collector,

Posts: 1602 | Location: Nevada | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It seems everything is going against the collector and the Seller lately.

No Hobby or individual can keep taking the hits that are been dished out.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use ebay.com to list items even though I am based in the UK.

Even with the new changes coming in, it still works out slightly cheaper than listing on the Ebay UK site.

However I fully agree with you Scifi_Collector that the new system looks good when selling lower priced items however will eat into any profits on the higher end cards.

It seems like Ebay is the winner everytime. Sometimes it feels like I work hard to make ebay even richer!!!!

Posts: 61 | Location: Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom | Registered: June 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
they are just looking to increase they profit

if you notice that they seem to be having more free listing days in the UK anyway

from 1 or 2 a quarter to 1 or 2 a month

I only sell on free listings

Maek

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble

Posts: 855 | Location: Coventry - England | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about the postage? I only see people complaining about ebay but not postage.

I am going to stop mailing anything overseas unless it is maybe 1 card.

I had to spend nearly $13 for a 5 ounce pack.

David

Posts: 328 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: February 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpolis:
What about the postage? I only see people complaining about ebay but not postage.

I am going to stop mailing anything overseas unless it is maybe 1 card.

I had to spend nearly $13 for a 5 ounce pack.

David

There are a number of posts about users complaining of the increase in shipping (postage) charges. This was another issue brought to light by Scifi_Collector.

Posts: 1454 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: May 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by treksearcher:
There are a number of posts about users complaining of the increase in shipping (postage) charges. This was another issue brought to light by Scifi_Collector.

Ugh, postage, that's a whole nother boatload of worms. With ebay's fees increasing and postage increasing, I am hoping the world of Non-Sport Card Show's will have a revival.

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Ugh, postage, that's a whole nother boatload of worms. With ebay's fees increasing and postage increasing, I am hoping the world of Non-Sport Card Show's will have a revival.

Yeah, nothing better than a show where you can hold the card and inspect it before you purchase it.

Since you're a seller in Illinois Scifi_Collector, you should think about the Chicago Non-Sport Card Show in Carol Stream April 19 and 20 (Shameless Plug).

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
quote:
quote:

Yeah, nothing better than a show where you can hold the card and inspect it before you purchase it.

Since you're a seller in Illinois Scifi_Collector, you should think about the Chicago Non-Sport Card Show in Carol Stream April 19 and 20 (Shameless Plug).

Ed

You guys are so lucky to have Card Shows in the same country you live in, there is absolutely nothing like that here in Australia unfortunately.
Which is very sad really Shake Head

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ed

I totally agree with you there Ed, unfortunately with the big increase in shipping charges (and Taxes), the cost of staying in Hotels at shows, Traveling costs and cost of hiring Tables means the cost of cards is pushed up and customers want autographs at a few £'s ($'s) not appreciating the cost involved to Dealers setting up at Shows.

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I totally agree with you there Ed, unfortunately with the big increase in shipping charges (and Taxes), the cost of staying in Hotels at shows, Traveling costs and cost of hiring Tables means the cost of cards is pushed up and customers want autographs at a few £'s ($'s) not appreciating the cost involved to Dealers setting up at Shows.

I have certainly not found that to be the case, especially when factoring in the shipping costs I'd need to pay when buying online.

Obviously there are exceptions where some sellers have high prices, but if I wasn't able to find cards at competitive prices I wouldn't buy at shows.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of STCardGeek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did anyone receive the latest email from ebay?

Mine starts off with:
2013 SPRING SELLER UPDATE

Up to 150 FREE listings* every month and 17% lower fees for you!
Plus, the final value fees for Stores will be streamlined to just 5 competitive category-based rates as low as 4% (and never more than 9%)—regardless of how you sell.

Great news for you! Based on your recent selling activity, your fees will be 17% lower than they are today..

Ok so I have an ebay store and Most of my items sell for less than $50 and I only sell Non-Sport Cards. So I used the ebay Fee calculator to see how accurate the email is:

Estimated fees for this item:
Type of fee Current Fee
Final value fee: $5.50
Total estimated fees: $5.70

New Fee:
Final value fee: $4.50
Total estimated fees: $4.50

Woohoo, I will save money!!! It's only $1.20 but I will take it.

Ok so what's the Catch.

Well Sometimes I sell items for $1000.00 and look what happens:
Type of fee Current Fee
Final value fee: $62.50
Total estimated fees: $62.70

Type of fee New Fee
Final value fee: $90.00
Total estimated fees: $90.00

Are you kidding me!!a $27.30 increase

Lets try $2000.00
Type of fee Current Fee
Final value fee: $82.50
Total estimated fees: $82.70

Type of fee Current Fee New Fee
Final value fee:$180.00
Total estimated fees:$180.00

check it out a 120% fee increase.

Holy wow!
Makes me wanna reopen my auctionne Wink

Posts: 4246 | Location: Pittsboro, NC USA | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
My trend of late (last year or so) has been to have a limited number of items listed in my store. I keep it under 150 items. Then only do actual auctions when they do a free listing promotion. As things sell out of the store I replace it with something else. This is in comparison of when I used to have 2000+ items in my store.

The new fee structure will work nicely for my price point of under $100 on most things so we'll see how it goes. I've never had a 4 digit selling price but a 9% fee on it I don't think I would notice so much out of excitement of having that high $ of an item sell lol.

Shipping fees, like everyone else said, that's a whole different monster. But ebay isn't to blame on shipping fees though. The actual shipping costs through printing online are cheaper than in person at the post office AND now you can print international shipping online too and it's SO MUCH EASIER in my opinion

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
While eBay isn't to blame for higher shipping fees, it is to blame for charging a final value fee on the shipping price.

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kbmum:
While eBay isn't to blame for higher shipping fees, it is to blame for charging a final value fee on the shipping price.

I believe the reason eBay does this now is because there were sellers listing say a $200 item at "Buy It Now" 99 cents + $200 shipping to try to avoid paying the final value fee. But I agree with you completely that charging a fee on shipping is wrong.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jake
posted Hide Post
I agree on that part too but they're not even the only site that does that so it doesn't really stick with me personally as an issue. I tack on a $1 handling fee and it covers itself.

Posts: 1226 | Location: Vegas Baby! | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
I recommend look every case personally. For example I only use the "free" promos and I don't have a store. Now I pay a FVF of 9% for auctions and 11% for fixed price. With the new fee structure if I have sales in auctions I will pay the increase. For fixed price I will pay less.

I recommend everybody selling in eBay even if you are "cleaning" your house or use it as online garage sale. Look it as business because business are run by maths and not feelings.

I believe one of the reasons of eBay to add free items in the stores is top emigration of sellers to other marketplaces.

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of btlfannz
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth I have managed to virtually by-pass the 'bay bandits now.

Over the years I have cultured what is now a very large list of dealers that I have bought stuff off. These days, when I have a few bucks to spare I just troll these guy's websites searching for cards off my want list.

With a large list of dealers and their ever changing stock I can nearly always find something I want. What's more they are all quite prepared to sell international.

Give it time and Ebay will pay the ultimate price for their greed. They are a retail business no different to any high street store and the rules are the same...piss the customers off enough and they will avoid you like the plague. This is happening right now with users numbers in rapid decline according to Newsweek. Make some seller-favourable changes Ebay or die a slow death.

Posts: 509 | Location: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btlfannz:

Over the years I have cultured what is now a very large list of dealers that I have bought stuff off. These days, when I have a few bucks to spare I just troll these guy's websites searching for cards off my want list.

That's a very good point and not all card collectors take advantage of it. Because I am very cautious when buying cards on eBay, I conduct most of my business with dealers rather than individuals selling their cards or doubles. Most of them have websites and you are breaking no rules to contact them through their outside business. The only thing you have to remember is that you will not have any special buyer protection if you are not going through eBay.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post