Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spartacus -
 Login/Join

Picture of KAZ
posted
As you may know Andy Whitfield starring Spartacus past away this Sunday.

In the day all Spartacus Andy's auto disappeared from the auctions sites. Then today they start to reappearing but the price raise up !

I think it's the buisness law but it's not good and not fair for the hobby.

Posts: 176 | Location: lyon, FRANCE | Registered: December 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of beamer
posted Hide Post
When a famous personality passes, their memorabilia tends to increase in price and value for a few months, then settles back to where it was before they died.

Posts: 755 | Location: FL | Registered: January 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Its ghoulish, but it happens all the time.

Best thing collectors can do is ignor it. If you didn't need his autograph before, you don't need it now.

And beamer is right, the prices will spike for a little while and than drop back down. So anyone selling now will make a profit, but anyone just buying in is already getting the inflated price.

Posts: 10401 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in the process of negotiating a "best offer" on ebay for spartacus, the dealer actually retracted the counter-offer and jacked the price up like $150 bucks..

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted Hide Post
You know your name is bradford - spelled backwards ??? The next city over from mine.

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drofdarb:
I was in the process of negotiating a "best offer" on ebay for spartacus, the dealer actually retracted the counter-offer and jacked the price up like $150 bucks..

Don't you hate it when sellers do that!
I've had that happen to me on a couple of occasions, not for the same reason though.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the TWILIGHT ZONE Cliff Robertson autos. It is ghoulish, but human nature has a long way to go before it acquires 'human' characteristics, meaning noble and grand and altruistic and all that other garbage that would make life so darn boring.

Posts: 2505 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mister E.:
You know your name is bradford - spelled backwards ??? The next city over from mine.

Actually, my first name is Bradford... apparantly in my ancestery one of my relatives was the Mayor of that sh!thole.. though my Mum denies that is the reason why I got the name..

Posts: 162 | Location: UK | Registered: December 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Anytime someone makes the news it can impact the prices of their cards, the more shocking the news the more it impacts the value. A tragic death is sometimes the most shocking news of all.

The cards certainly will spike up for a while, but will eventually drop. . . but it's hard to tell how far they will drop, a lot of that will depend on the rarity of the card. . . in a shocking, tragic death most autograph cards remain at a premium price (compared to before the tragedy, but far off from the peak) long term.

Jon

Posts: 5417 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post