Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Curved Cards
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted
Is there any hope?

I recently purchased a base and parallel set of Buffy Connections which arrived all curved.

I didn't really think much of it at the time but since putting them in the binder I noticed that they don't sit flat(obviously)

So I tried sitting heavy books on them to straighten them out for a couple of weeks, but it seems they just went back to being curved after a couple of days.

Are they worth trying to save, or a hopeless case?

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Try putting them in 9 pocket card pages in a full binder with other cards and that should strighten them out over time. It may help to put them in the back of the binder and store it laying flat for a while so the weight of the pages on top of them can apply gentle prssure.
Good luck!

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
Try putting them in 9 pocket card pages in a full binder with other cards and that should strighten them out over time. It may help to put them in the back of the binder and store it laying flat for a while so the weight of the pages on top of them can apply gentle prssure.
Good luck!

I can confirm this works Thumb Up .The Alias and Andromeda sets as well as Charmed Power of Three all have this problem but I put them in a binder and they gradually straightened out.Took about six months though.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses! I'll do just as you say ChessPieceFace.

You have given me hope Big Grin

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
quote:
It may help to put them in the back of the binder and store it laying flat for a while so the weight of the pages on top of them can apply gentle prssure.

I've had good success with that method too...
Really helps if the pages on top contain a chromium card set!! Thumb Up

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there are a few sets where the cards come out the packs like that

This message has been edited. Last edited by: richnet,

...if you can count them you haven't got enough.

Posts: 167 | Location: uk | Registered: December 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richnet:
there a few sets where the cards come out the packs like that

The Batman and Superman holo sets tend to come out of the packs already curved. They flatten out with a tight wrapping.

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tangent:
quote:
Originally posted by richnet:
there a few sets where the cards come out the packs like that

The Batman and Superman holo sets tend to come out of the packs already curved. They flatten out with a tight wrapping.

Can I ask what you mean by "Tight Wrapping"?

Sounds like I have to mummify them or something Eek Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of tangent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can I ask what you mean by "Tight Wrapping"?

Sounds like I have to mummify them or something

Mummifying them would probably make them rigid while curved Smile

I wrap base sets in plastic for efficient storage. The plastic is from a comic storage bag (cut off the edges and you get two pieces, each big enough for a base set). If I do the wrapping tight enough and stack everything, the weight of the cards flattens everything out. By wrapping, you can stack. Card boxes stack too, but are not tight enough to stop the cards from recurling.

By the way, it seems to happen with most 90s cards with hologram or chrome surface effects.

I just realised you are putting them in a binder, so this method will flatten them out initially, but won't help long term.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tangent,

Posts: 1574 | Location: temp UK, usually Australia | Registered: July 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kane1
posted Hide Post
tangent is true in the 90's series happen a lot with chrome surface cards. The best example are X-Men Fleer All Chromium.

I have some of these cards in a Ultra Pro box to made then straight.

Posts: 242 | Location: Puerto Rico | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HPCollector2011
posted Hide Post
I've seen this a lot in the Harry Potter chase sets, especially the "foils." I wonder if it has to do with the process for applying the foil coating? I'll try mashing mine down flat, too, and see if it works.

Since this seems to be an inherent quality in these cards, does it affect the value?

Posts: 30 | Location: Maryland | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of TC00
posted Hide Post
I dont know if this is helpful information but when Inkworks produced the Buffy and Charmed Connections sets (and maybe some others produced around the same time frame) they were 'breaking in' a new machine which is why they were all printed curved-

That's what Inkworks said about Charmed Connections at the time back in 2004? I think Buffy Connections was printed the year before?

I have the Charmed Connections set and never tried to 'flatten' them for fear of damaging them. I just kind of accepted thats how they were printed, stored in them in 9 pocket pages in binder and left it.

Honestly I've never seen this happen with any other set(s) or by any other Manufacturer.

Basically that's how they got that way but I wouldn't know what to do to 'fix' this?

Sorry for the long post!

-TC00.

Posts: 937 | Location: UK | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
That's very helpful info TC00, and good to know, I don't think I'll worry about them then if that is how they were made.
I'll just leave them in the 9 pocket pages in the Binder like you Smile