Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tudors Auto
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted
Just won this one, but then noticed the signature is different from all others on e-bay. Anybody else got one like this?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hammer,

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Not seen one like that but I have another case I ptcked up very cheap coming from the USA so will see what that one looks like and let you know.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SBelcher
posted Hide Post
Haven't seen one that looks anything like that one. All of them have had the last name below the first. The seller seems legit though - only sold two base sets, two costumes and two autos (Anwar and Frain)
We might need webjon to investigate Wink
Here's mine for reference, straight from a case:

Posts: 281 | Location: Indiana | Registered: April 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I have e-mailed Tom - hoping it is a variant Smile

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Tom says no blanks went anywhere so it seems I have a slightly different version

Picture of SBelcher
posted Hide Post
I'd hope no blanks got out... And the seller looked legit too. The biggest concern is the A in Anwar. It could be that it was one of the last ones she signed and just wanted to get it over with... who knows lol
Nice pick up, hammer Smile

Posts: 281 | Location: Indiana | Registered: April 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I don't have a scanner so I can't show you my Anwar card, but it is similar to the one shown by SBelcher in that it is on two lines and has the same capital G. It is not exact by any means and her signature does seem to vary with other images I have seen. However I must say that the signature in question has several problems that I don't like to see.

Besides being on one line, the loop of the capital G is much smaller and connects to the rest of Gabrielle. My card and Belcher's has a distinct break. Worst yet is the capital A. Our A is open on the top and is one connection with the line that makes up the rest of Anwar. Your A is open at the bottom and is noticably broken from the line. That is the opposite way of writing the A and I don't think it would be consistent for the same person to do it both ways, even in a rush. Its just my best guess, but I would be wary of it myself.

On the other hand I must add that I have 3 Rhys Meyers signed Tudor cards, a double of the regular autograph card and his other signed card from the Breygent mystery packs. The signatures are all drastically different from each other and all came from authentic sources that I absolutely trust. So make of that what you will, but I still don't like that A. Wink

Posts: 10407 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think if it was conterfeit, the person would've tried harder to have it look like the other signatures. Alternately, maybe it was the first one she signed, and then she realized it wouldn't fit?

It looks better than some of the Britney Spears Pop Century auto's, and I've read that they were all real... wish I'd known that sooner! lol --Chris

Posts: 423 | Location: Heaven (Barrie, Ontario, Canada) | Registered: June 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by collector of things:
I think if it was conterfeit, the person would've tried harder to have it look like the other signatures.--Chris

That would seem logical, but lousy looking counterfeits get passed around all the time. I have seen people do a lot of wishful thinking over autographs that were obviously faked. Sure someone would sell you a genuine Michael Jordan autograph for $20. Big Grin

Which is not to scare anybody, its just something that exists and collectors should be as knowledgable as possible if they are into autographs.

As for this thread, let us not forget that we are discussing not just the Anwar signature, but also an authentic card produced by Breygent. So what about that card? Does it look to be genuine? Scans are hard to pick up sometimes.

If its a counterfeit card it is surely a fake signature. If its a genuine card it is much more likely to be a real signature. Yes, it can still be ghost signed or someone mentioned blank cards getting out, but these are less likely to have happen. So start with authenticating the card and then work back to the signature, it might be a better option.

Posts: 10407 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SBelcher
posted Hide Post
I pulled two Rhys-Meyers Autos in my case, and yes they were drastically different. If anything, you can say that all of his cards are scribble variants.

It's just that all of Anwar's (minus Batman's) seen so far have been very similar. Chris makes a good point, it could have been her very first card signed. THIS is why celebs need facebook and/or twitter pages Big Grin

Again, I'd say all evidence suggests it's legit. If the seller was into forging, they would have multiple Rhys-Meyers and Anwar, not Frain, base sets and costumes.
Nifty variant. Thanks for sharing!

(Good luck with your case Triple Frog!)

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Certainly the card looks correct and feels exactly the same as all the others. Of coure somebody could have signed for her on some cards (as could anybody on any card). It is interesting that it is so different from all the others. I'll take it as a variant as Tom has stated nobody had blanks and his word is good by me. I will probably still seek out the "normal" version as well. Thanks for all your comments

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hammer,

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
This is a proper scribble variant Big Grin

[URL= ][IMG]

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well I broke the case and wouldn't you know it my Anwar auto was signed on one line like the one at the top of the page.It's a bit different in that the "G"is clearly separate frome the rest of Gabrielle and the "A" is clearly seperate from the end of Gabrielle and is connected to the stroke denoting the rest of the surname.

I think my card is from when she was starting to get tired and Hammers is from when she was REALLY getting tired Big Grin .Will try and post a pic if I can but I have to go and remove the auction listing I had up first as it has the old photo from my previous pull Roll Eyes .

At least I can assure you Hammer that your card is genuine Thumb Up .I did also notice smaller differences in several of the other autos compared to my first case but nothing as dramatic as this one.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Thanks Triple-Frog Thumb Up